• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ubunchu! Manga About Linux Variant Translated

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
A school comedy with computer references? Have to admit that is orginal, but it doesn't look like something I'd really enjoy.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Being a hardcore computer geek, I would find this hilarious. Very Happy
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
So in other words, this is legal scanlation.

That is pretty cool. Perhaps it's only viable for smaller projects, but this should totally happen more often.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Being a hardcore computer geek, I would find this hilarious. Very Happy

Same here. This sounds like it would make my sides sore from laughter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bossyman15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
just read it

its very nice manga! Very Happy
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Just read it myself, though it took me a minute to realize that the panels are read left-to-right, rather than right-to-left. Funny stuff, indeed, although it's only funny if you can understand all the Linux jargon. Otherwise, you'll be scratching your head at it all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
Damn it, I want a soldam/windy case like the one they have (on the "beast" PC)...Anime cry
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
Okay, now I've seen everything.

And for bonus points, that laptop on the cover page looks remarkably like an Asus Eee... which is what I read it on. Further bonus points: I'm running Kubuntu on it.
hara

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
This is a joke, right?
It has to be a joke.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
As an OS-Tan fan that has been waiting for a GOOD Ubuntu-Tan, I'm excited to check this out. Smile
Shichimi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Damn straight! Ubuntu for the win! Friendliest distro I've used yet.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Linux has a manga and Windows doesn’t...why?

I’m sorry, but I don’t get why anyone would use Linux. I used GIMP once, and there were so many windooooows....I think all programs for Linux are like that...whoop dee doo, it’s open source. Doesn’t mean it’s good. What? I say it’s not good? I should fix it? Well, good damn, why the heck should I learn friggin’ programming so I can check my gooddamn email and go on Youtube? And the thing with open source software is that half the time, they’re never at version 1.0! The creators are so lazy! “Do it yourself, if you really want it finished!” Have you considered that I might not be a programmer but just want to use a program for animating/editing/drawing?

Okay, calm down. But on topic, the translation for this is terrible. It sounds like it was translated by the guys who translated Star Wars: Backstroke of the West.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin, that was a string of some incredibly ignorant statements if I've ever seen any.

Quote:

And the thing with open source software is that half the time, they’re never at version 1.0! The creators are so lazy

Flash is at version 10 and it's still utter garbage. Windows is going to version "7" and it's hardly perfect. What the heck does the version number have to do with the quality of anything?

Firefox is much faster and runs better than IE 7 or IE 8 (or even IE 6). Thunderbird is a very simple and easy to use mail program which supports all the needed common features. Both are very extensible programs. GIMP is a very effective little program, regardless of the fact you may not like that it uses multiple windows (I actually think this makes more sense than photoshop). There is actually even an alternative called gimpshop if you have to have everything in the window... this is not hard to find out.

My sister is 15 and uses Linux (has been since 12) as her primary OS just like me. It's not that hard. It does require being able to adapt and you can't be "lazy" (I find it very ironic you think developers of OSS are lazy).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1