• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
San Diego Comic-Con International 2009 - Women in Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FeralKat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
They also talked about how it was difficult for VIZ to find advertisers for Shojo Beat. I'm paraphrasing, but they said that one of the advertisers practically told them that girl nerds don't wear makeup, so advertising with Shojo Beat doesn't make sense.

Mad

...I am a huge girly girl. I don't seem like a huge nerd, but I like to look nice. That's quite presumptuous of them.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm only the second person to respond to this thread? That's sad. As an adult female manga reader, it's hard to find stuff that appeals to me. Heck, as a reader in general, it's difficult to find anything that suits my taste. I left the romance genre years ago but that seems to compromise most of what's aimed at female readers. On the other hand, I can't get into the stuff aimed at guys either and I find I prefer female authors. Personally, I wish there were more manga (and regular books, too) that appealed to both genders.

Sad to hear that most josei is mostly trashy romance stuff (just like over here!), still the manga industry and the anime industry as well, needs to license more stuff that appeals to older fans. Else what are all those teenagers gonna read/watch when they get older?

Just wanted to add: Concerning Shojo Beat; there are only two stories I'm still following: Vampire Knight and Nana. The rest I got tired of after a while. I enjoyed the magazine and I'm sorry it folded but it wasn't really aimed at my age group. And I'm not interested in shonen, because with a few exceptions, shonen is my least favorite genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1