• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Astro Boy on DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
A MSRP of $50? That's a buck per episode. Now the question is whether or not there is a sub option...
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
This is dope. I'll definantly be picking it up. Although I wish they would also release the Rintaro/Tomino version.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Only 21 episodes out of 50? I guess our little buddy Astro is just a bit too philosophical for the kiddos.

Shame.

I'm wondering too, will this be just subs, just dubs, or both? Both would be good. I would like both.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention widescreen or cropped.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Why did only 21 episodes air? Crap ratings?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote
http://www.animatedbliss.com/news.asp?TID=2447

Found a picture for you guys and some info.

And 50 bucks for 50 episodes is not bad at all although I don't really like Astroboy to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
Why did only 21 episodes air? Crap ratings?

Yeah. Not enough kids were watching, so advertisers don't want the spot, network doesn't want to lose money, so it's gone. I never saw it air on TV myself, but I did see the commercial they had for it, and it looked awesome.

My stepbrother said it looked like "a Megaman ripoff". Rolling Eyes
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
We all know why it didn't do good: the animation, as beautiful as it was, was too "kiddy" for most kids to watch, as well as some anime fans, and thus didn't draw in the mainstream audience outside of small kids and in-the-know anime fans. I saw all the episodes they put on TV, and once you got used to it, the dub wasn't horrible, though it definately wasn't good.

And a Megaman ripoff? Yeah, a show that's based on a show from about 50 years ago is definately a ripoff of a game from 15 years ago. But that's kids these days.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
My guess it'll be the version that aired on TV, dubbed only.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
We all know why it didn't do good: the animation, as beautiful as it was, was too "kiddy"

I don't think it's so much about being "kiddy", but about it being old. Even this 2003 series used the style from the original Astro Boy which turns off a lot of people. For whatever reason people associate old with bad, even if something only *looks* old. It's unfortunate because a lot of older shows are just gold, but people never give them a chance.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Megaman was based on Astroboy, so its the other way around.
Effect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
Cool, can't wait to pick up this set. I really wish the series had finish airing on TV. I loved it.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:00 am Reply with quote
YES!! Finally. This show was incredibly underrated. I'm glad Sony is finally putting this out on the marked again. I really hope they include the Japanese version in the collection. But even if they don't, I'll still buy it. What I'm really concerned about is if it will be put in widescreen like it was originally suppose to be.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:34 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
We all know why it didn't do good: the animation, as beautiful as it was, was too "kiddy"

I don't think it's so much about being "kiddy", but about it being old. Even this 2003 series used the style from the original Astro Boy which turns off a lot of people. For whatever reason people associate old with bad, even if something only *looks* old. It's unfortunate because a lot of older shows are just gold, but people never give them a chance.

Emerje

I'm not saying I think it's "kiddy", I'm pointing out that other people would think it looks "kiddy," especially the normal target audience of anywhere from 6-16, who are concerned with being considered uncool if they watch it. Most old art styles from the 50s were cartoony anyway, and this update, though keeping the style of the original, didn't really look that old.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:33 am Reply with quote
Like Pokemon was that cool. Kids are stupid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2