• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aya Fujii Yaoi Manga Now Available on Kindle

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
Wow. The kindle is really changing the way publishing works. Exciting stuff for amateur artists like me! Very Happy
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
Interesting. I have Zero interest in Yaoi, so I'll be skipping this (though for 99 cents, its almost worth it to see how well Kindle handles comics...)

Digital Distribution is the future, I read many comics on the ComiXology app on my iPod Touch. And have read a pile of Novels on Kindle-For-iPhone. I love it. Don't know how I ever lived without it.

I really REALLY wish Manga Publishers (see, VIZ. Mostly) would team up with ComiXology and put their content up for digital reading. I would read the hell out of it.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:21 am Reply with quote
It looks like publishers (along with animators) want to use the digital age to take back what piracy made theirs. What are the biggest reasons people download scanlations?

1) so they don't have to pay for it...
But 99 cents is hardly justification for not getting a legit copy. A very small price to pay knowing you are actually supporting the artists.

2) so they can read it in English...
No worries there, if everything published is already translated as soon as hits the electronic bookshelves.

I was trying to purchase a copy of Yoshitoshi's manga, but I couldn't find an app for my PSP to read Kindle books.

I hope this catches on and more yaoi ...I mean more manga gets the same treatment.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:09 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I really REALLY wish Manga Publishers (see, VIZ. Mostly) would team up with ComiXology and put their content up for digital reading. I would read the hell out of it.

I suspect after the somewhat embarrassing episode a few years ago in which Viz was found to be distributing worldwide despite only having U.S./Canadian rights (may have been fixed since then, unless local stores are being sneaky), they'll be sticking to the limits of the existing licenses. I suspect digital rights have to negotiated for. I know DMM has legal downloads of H manga (lots of them OOP as hardcopy) in Japan, but I otherwise haven't heard much about digital distribution for manga, aside from cellphones (including the iPhone).
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I was trying to purchase a copy of Yoshitoshi's manga, but I couldn't find an app for my PSP to read Kindle books.

If you have python installed on your computer, it's reasonable easy to convert purchased Kindle books to other formats. I do this with all of my DRM'd ebook purchases so that I have DRM-free versions.

(I've been burnt too many times by Adobe and others who either don't let you transfer books when you buy a new computer, or who close their ebook business and so you lose all the books you've purchased because they could only be accessed via their proprietary software or servers and these become obsolete. I don't rent these books, I buy them and want a copy that works.)

I'm confused by this manga on Amazon. It says it's a volume, but it's 32 pages? Is that not rather a chapter? Is this a complete story or not? $0.99 seems steep for a chapter, when they cost $0.25 at netcomics.com.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
If you have python installed on your computer, it's reasonable easy to convert purchased Kindle books to other formats. I do this with all of my DRM'd ebook purchases so that I have DRM-free versions.
Okay thanks I'll try that ^_^
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Kindle, e-books and digital distribution in general including music is great for self publication like what Aya Fujii is doing here, but reading about the recent disputes Amazon has, most publishers actually hate it due to pricing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1