• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chihayafuru 2 Slated for January 11

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetron

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
Have to get my tissue box ready Cool
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
I've been thinking for a while if I'll want to watch the second season. I liked the first season but didn't quite love it. Also, Chihaya annoyed the heck out of me, and the overall experience didn't feel quite rewarding. Mostly because Taichi is given the shit treatment through all the show. And you just know he's doomed to be spoiler[friendzoned] forever, even if he's such a nice guy, which frustrates me. But I really liked the game of Karuta -basically because I'm a Japanese literature freak, and I loved Hikaru no Go, which this show reminds me of (even if I find HnG vastly superior)- so... ahhh still undecided
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
It's an early birthday present for me! Very Happy

Can'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twait
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
I'm really excited about this one. Season 1 made this one of my favorite series. I loved the way they took a game as formally and traditionally Japanese and shonenized it, making it an extreme sport! Plus, the mental training aspects of it were quite interesting: memorizing 100 poems (long-term memory) and being able to recognize the first sound of the first syllable of each (reaction time) was also really cool.

As far as Taichi goes, let's be honest, spoiler[he and Chihaya's relationship was somewhat love/hate since middle school. Plus, Chihaya clearly has deep feelings for Arata that transcend friendship. It'd be an awkward shift in writing, and, ultimately undesirable, to not have Arata and Chihaya develop their relationship.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
I don't agree with your spoiler text at all. I think Chihaya's admiration for Arata comes from his prowess at karuta. I don't do shippings with Chihayafuru because this isn't a shoujo (thank God for that). There are no pairings right now and there is no romance right now. What's important to Chihaya above all else is beating Shinobu and becoming Queen as well as helping those around her improve their karuta.

Anyway, I hope that the second season doesn't forget the team aspect because I don't want to see only Chihaya muddling around in A-rank. I want to see them go to Omi Jingu as a team and compete but I'm not sure if it'll go that path unfortunately as it seems far more centered on Chihaya's rise like when Hikaru became an insei and left his team behind.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
I think that's an unwarranted assumption. While there hasn't yet been any direct romantic interactions between the characters, we're basically told from a character's perspective (Taichi, who, let's be honest here, has intimate feelings for Chihaya) that Chihaya does harbor the aforementioned admiration for Arata, which stems beyond being a mere fan of his gaming skills. Taichi, on a number of occasions, has basically made it apparent, to himself but obviously revealed to us, that spoiler[he's pretty much given up on any desire to be more than a friend, because he knows how she feels about Arata.]

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
Chihayafuru was pretty good, though I really can't stand Taichi.

Will watch season 2, however.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Really? Taichi was the best and most interesting character in the show. In fact, to me he carried the show, just as he carried his team. He was far more nuanced and multi-faceted than Chihaya and he had great internal and external struggles. He also had some of the show's best scenes and lines of dialogue.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I've been thinking for a while if I'll want to watch the second season. I liked the first season but didn't quite love it. Also, Chihaya annoyed the heck out of me, and the overall experience didn't feel quite rewarding. Mostly because Taichi is given the shit treatment through all the show. And you just know he's doomed to be spoiler[friendzoned] forever, even if he's such a nice guy, which frustrates me. But I really liked the game of Karuta -basically because I'm a Japanese literature freak, and I loved Hikaru no Go, which this show reminds me of (even if I find HnG vastly superior)- so... ahhh still undecided

This, almost exact my feelings.

Yet I will watch, I've watched so many anime that this annoyances dont affect me anymore to the point of not watching, ehich does not mean I dont get frustrated of course, and Chihaya makes ME SUPER frustrated because of his cold treatment to Taichi indeed, I hate THAT OTHER GUY, DAMN HIM!!!

@504NOSON2

I disagree A LOT with you, what undesirable is that Chihaya only thinks about that bastard of Arata. Again, DAMN HIM!

Damn, see, you made me remember I loved the series but that I hated Chihaya and her stupid, almost retard obsession with that guy. Yet I will watch.

You know what would be PERFECT?

Chihaya ending up ALONE! Thats what I like to see.

dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Really? Taichi was the best and most interesting character in the show. In fact, to me he carried the show, just as he carried his team. He was far more nuanced and multi-faceted than Chihaya and he had great internal and external struggles. He also had some of the show's best scenes and lines of dialogue.

True True True True True

Lol, I sound almost like a Taichi fangirl Smile
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Everything in life came too easy to him, except cardslapping is escaping him now. Boo hoo hoo, so tortured and deep! I'd rather focus on the other three team members before him.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

He was perfect at ~everything~ except Karuta, and he just cannot stand that Chihaya and Arata are better at it than him.

Now, considering that thus far in his life he's been basically perfect at ~everything~ he's done, thats pretty reasonable. I just find it completely unsympathetic.

I also found his treatment of his (unnamed, and unimportant) girlfriend to be rather despicable.

Now Chihaya, Chihaya's great. She's lived her life in the shadow of her older sister, who does everything just a biiit better than Chihaya, except for one thing. The one thing Chihaya is good at and truly enjoys, Karuta. Yeah she's loud and rambunctious and kinda weird, but goddammit, thats what makes her so great!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote
Yes yes yes! Can't wait!!

Reading everyone's comments, umm.... I'll just say that if the anime continues to follow the manga, I don't think you will be disappointed. Chihayafuru is a great series and continues to be.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
This, almost exact my feelings.

Yet I will watch, I've watched so many anime that this annoyances don't affect me anymore to the point of not watching, ehich does not mean I don't get frustrated of course, and Chihaya makes ME SUPER frustrated because of his cold treatment to Taichi indeed, I hate THAT OTHER GUY, DAMN HIM!!!

@504NOSON2

I disagree A LOT with you, what undesirable is that Chihaya only thinks about that bastard of Arata. Again, DAMN HIM!

Damn, see, you made me remember I loved the series but that I hated Chihaya and her stupid, almost retard obsession with that guy. Yet I will watch.

You know what would be PERFECT?

Chihaya ending up ALONE! Thats what I like to see.

Anime dazed

Well. of course the worth of a female character only is proven when surrendered to a male character like a prize cow. Rolling Eyes

So she's focused on her goal instead of the guys. What a crime. [/sarcasm]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Anime dazed

Well. of course the worth of a female character only is proven when surrendered to a male character like a prize cow. Rolling Eyes

So she's focused on her goal instead of the guys. What a crime. [/sarcasm]

Yeah, this too.

The show is "Chihayafuru" not "Taichi wants a girlfriend"
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote
Just over a month to go! Yay! ^^; Please, CR, pick this one up. I'd prefer not to grab the fansubs, but if CR doesn't...

504NOSON2 wrote:
I'm really excited about this one. Season 1 made this one of my favorite series.

I'm really looking forward to this. I loved the first series enough to import the BDs, and I'll likely double-dip with a US release if it's from NISA, maybe even from Nozomi (BD? definitely DVD? that would be a very hard choice). Other companies? Hmmm... Tough call.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3