• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Priest, Gothicmade, Shin-chan Online Trailers Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I've been keeping a close eye on GOTHICMADE ever since it was announced so long ago, and given the bare news about it for years, it's very good seeing more concrete footage and progress on it in the last few months. The movie looks more impressive in the new trailer than it did in the first one noted, though I'm still slightly iffy on the simplistic character designs and the story. Otherwise, the animation quality looks fantastic and I hope that after all of these years, the film turns out successfully.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Priest's trailer looks good. But "rescue his niece"? I was expecting random action with a kick-ass priest killing random beasts for no apparent reason except for pure hatred. I may be mistaken, but his role here is that of a hero rather than an anti-hero, isn't it?

Anyway, the beasts looked like they came right out of a MMORPG game, and that's a good thing. I'm looking forward to it, regardless.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
RE: Novel frame: One of these things is not like the other. Yeah, I totally believe you go to high school, girl on the far right. Rolling Eyes
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Not saying it's always a bad thing to change content...And I haven't actually read the Priest manhwa...But from reading the series' description, how does this film's plot relate at all to the original material? Is it using vampires so it can hang on the coattails of the latest "in" thing? I mean, some changed content can be good, but this seems more like "PRIEST...in name only" than an adaptation.

Gothicmade could be interesting, though.
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
priest looked awful! and did anyone really expect them not to change the plot so the average idiot american could understand it? and of course they're riding twit-light's curtails (everything is)
VML

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
I was actually at the PRIEST panel at Comic Con. They said that the movie is actually a continuation of the manhwa; it takes places in the future, many years after where the manhwa left off. Its too bad that ANN didn't report on the panel. I was actually impressed with what I saw there. I came in expecting something less.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
VML wrote:
Its too bad that ANN didn't report on the panel.

Here is ANN's report on the panel.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
VML wrote:
I was actually at the PRIEST panel at Comic Con. They said that the movie is actually a continuation of the manhwa; it takes places in the future, many years after where the manhwa left off. Its too bad that ANN didn't report on the panel. I was actually impressed with what I saw there. I came in expecting something less.

It would really help if the manwha actually had an ending to build such a thing from. Unfortunately, we've stopped at volume 16 and have no clue how such a scenario could occur in the Priest universe. Maybe vampires will play a bigger role in the manwha's future but we'll never know until those chapters are actually printed.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
Gothicmade is looking as sumptuous as ever.

It's funny. I always thought it would be a series, but now I realise (with some prompting from Sam Murai) that it would never get made if that was the case. And a movie does imply a high budget (as evident in the trailer). Let's just hope that the characters and plot hold up in such a relatively short run-time.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, but does Gothicmade have an unusually high framerate? Some of those explosions (e.g. at 0:10), and most of the SFX (smoke, etc), look like they were animated on ones!
Ulinox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
Priest looks decent. Nothing like the manhwa, though. I'll probably check it out regardless.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:59 am Reply with quote
Gothicmade looks like it could be really exciting and given that it takes place in what looks to be medieval Japan, it looks right up my alley. The only thing is that the director has never directed anything before and the studio has never done anything before, but it could very well turn out great, and I'm looking forward to it.

Also, this is dumb, but anyone else notice that the aforementioned author Tohru Honda shares the same name as the character from Fruits Basket?
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed that there Priest trailer. If it continues after the manwha, then that's pretty good and a lot more credible IMO.

As an action flick, I think it will hit a sweet spot next summer. Good luck Tokyopop and Priest writer/artist. It should fill their pockets nicely.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Is it just me, but does Gothicmade have an unusually high framerate? Some of those explosions (e.g. at 0:10), and most of the SFX (smoke, etc), look like they were animated on ones!

They wisely left out the more awkwardly animated scenes from this trailer. The 5 minute trailer has several less than impressive looking scenes (mostly of truly bizarre and distracting eye movements). The movie's probably still a long way off, so hopefully it'll all improve by then.
branko7171

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
Hm, didn't know that the movie continues after the manhwa. I'm a lot more interested now Smile, although I don't like the vampire part....
I wish the manhwa would continue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2