• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An interesting take on online piracy

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaacada1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
http://www.mindjack.com/feature/piracy051305.html

Imagine companies in Japan using anime to DIRECTLY target ads to American and Japanese fans. While it doesn't "excuse" online downloading, this article provides a VERY interesting take on
the subject.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
smutchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's indeed very interesting! I think this idea could actually work and be successful...

However, there is the following problem:
Quote:
I placed the advertiser's bug in the lower left-hand corner. This is probably sufficient for a well-known retailer like Myer (or Macy's or Harrod's, etc.): it's simply enough to remind the public that they exist - and that there's undoubtedly a sale on.

I have no idea what Myer or Macy's is. Meaning: The advertiser has to be really big (like Coca Cola, Nike, ...) so that people in Asia, Europe, America and Australia etc know it. Otherwise you have a lot of viewers who a) don't know the advertiser and b) can't and/or won't buy stuff from the advertiser... (people from Europe wouldn't buy food from America f.e.)
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
In that case, some kind of localization would be necessary. As in, US users click this link, UK users click this other link.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
In that case, some kind of localization would be necessary. As in, US users click this link, UK users click this other link.

Or they could rely on tracking cookies... Spyware may suck, but I have to admit, it's effective in figuring out where you are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
smutchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
one3rd wrote:

Or they could rely on tracking cookies... Spyware may suck, but I have to admit, it's effective in figuring out where you are.

Yes, they could, but a lot of people who use bittorrent know how to deal with spyware and tracking cookies. Besides, it would hurt the popularity.
The thing with bittorrent is that you can also download anonymously and that once downloaded, you can put the files on other trackers... It's no use putting tracking cookies or so on the original download website...
Aokage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if using the logo space for advertising, would be effective, but I can agree that piracy isn't all that it is made out to be. The majority of people who pirate something, download it for themselves and friends. It is the people who go out in L.A. or around neighborhoods, peddling bootlegs for cash, that you have to worry about. I download smallville every week (when there are new episodes) because I'm not home to watch it usually. I don't have Tivo, so Bit Torrent (I actually use Torrent Storm) is my only solution to not missing out on episodes.

When I download an mp3, I go out and buy the album, if I liked the songs enough. That is what I did for Samurai Champloo. I had an mp3 for Battlecry, and I liked the song so much, that I picked up the OST. The same goes for Chobits (oddly enough another Geneon soundtrack). I think internet piracy can spread a positive image about a product and inspire (the right) people, to make a purchase. Making blind purchases is one of the worst things, because over time, after too many bad purchases, you start to become too cautious. But if you can download part of something and know you like it, then you have no reason to not buy it. But that is just my philosohpy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1