• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Megazone 23 Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
So this will be a Megazone IV OVA? I've never really seen this OVA series anime, so is it any good?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
So this will be a Megazone IV OVA? I've never really seen this OVA series anime, so is it any good?

It's decidedly old-school shonen. It's from the creators of the original Macross and Dangaioh, and is very, um, 80s. If that appeals to you, you'll probably love it. If not, then, well, you probably won't.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, since I own Macross SDF, and I like some of the other 80's animation, I might like this.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
OrsonHyuri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The original OVA series definately had the 80s feel with the heavy metal riffs blaring in the background. What I found amusing was seeing old American products in this anime. I think they went to McDonalds, but all the logos were totally old school. I'm surprised to hear Haruhiko Mikimoto is still designing -- really cool!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Nani??? Shocked

Y'know they really need to just leave this series alone now. Well, that is if the 3rd OVA was left open.

Well, we'll see. With designs by Haruhiko this will sort of bring back some nostalgia. Since he worked on some of the character work too with Hirano. He also, did many of the key illustrations for the first series and as well as the original 'Macross'.

So this should be interesting. Guess it's time to revive the old.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
If they make a new Megazone, they'd better explain the storyline of the first 3 parts, because it's too old and obscure for anyone to know about it, except maybe for Robotech (it was going to be part of that) and old-school fans. Doesn't ADV have this (and Streamline has an old version of part 1)?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Doesn't ADV have this (and Streamline has an old version of part 1)?

Yes, they do. It's being released already. ADV own's the rights to all 3 and is releasing them respectively.

I'm sure the directors are considering that already.
I've only seen the first OVA but never saw the other 2. I need a refresher on all 3 to see what my feelings are about the later 2. At the time when I saw the first one (WAY BACK WHEN...) I thought that was it.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
the 3rd OVA sucked major balls tho

1st 2 parts were awesome tho

I'm hoping this will be better and not a dumb filler but something that actually progresses the plot even more

but this series does rule, check it out, very good mecha action and story
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
From the sounds of what I am reading it sounds like the TV series like they had planed to do 20 years ago will finally happen of Megazone 23.
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
From the sounds of what I am reading it sounds like the TV series like they had planed to do 20 years ago will finally happen of Megazone 23.

That's what I am hoping...considering Megazone 23 was basically the first straight-to-video OVA they cramed a crapload of story into the small package that left way too many holes open.

I'm sitting here staring at my boxset and wondering what the full series would've been like. Of course, gotta give them credit, they didn't beat around the bush, EVERY consumer product in that OVA was the actual product, not some WacDonalds clone Razz
superdeformed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:58 am Reply with quote
I loved the first episode. The other two I did not care for as much.
The style change just bothered me. It went from good old 80's anime character design of Haruhiko Mikimoto to a more dark retarded 90's-ish style of Yasuomi Umetsu. I am glad Mikimoto is back doing the character designs he's one of my all-time favs.

The series was left rather wide-open for those wondering. I have not seen it in years though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:26 am Reply with quote
Actually, the character designs on one were done by Toshihiro Hirano. Mikimoto only designed Eve(the reason why she stays the same throughout). I do prefer them, though two's are ok, and I haven't seen three. Yui did look radically different in two, to the point were I wouldn't have known they were the same character if they hadn't said.

I love the work of Mikimoto, so it's great to hear that he's working on this. It's rather unexpected to hear this being made. Definitely something to look forward to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
ADV own's the rights to all 3 and is releasing them respectively.

They released the whole thing last year as a box set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1