• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Buy

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Who else buys there anime at Best Buy? Also what was your last anime purchase from there? I do and my last one was Full Metal Panic the Complete Collection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
I bought Planetes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sts9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
To be honest, the selection is kinda poor. I really wouldn't consider shopping their unless there was a very good sale going on.
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
Almost all of their anime is $20 and some are 22. I think their was a sale because some dvds are $12, like dot hack 3 and Gundam Seed vol1.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:47 am Reply with quote
I sometimes buy from them. THeir selection is one of the best in a brick and mortar store short of anime nation, and they have excellent prices. Though if I want the best deals possible, I buy online.
gnikdrazil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:18 am Reply with quote
I've only bought two series from Best Buy in 2005 and that was Giant Robo and Dai-Guard. On-line prices couldn't match the $9.99 price tag for each Giant Robo DVD, and the brick of Dia-Guard was $9.99 for 6 DVDs. Otherwise, BB just keeps pricing their anime DVDs at MSRP. Anime is already expensive enough without having to pay $29.99 for 1 DVD. They price the ADV titles better, but I usually buy Geneon.
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I probably buy half of my new anime DVD's from Best Buy. These are the DVD's I don't want to wait for. Best Buy usually has the best price as compared to other b&m retailers in my neck of the woods. Others may have a wider selection, but Best Buy more often than not beats them by at least $5.
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
sts9 wrote:
To be honest, the selection is kinda poor.

That depends on the geographical area the store is located in. From my observation and understanding through this forum, there seems to be better selection in a Best Buy located in a more populated area (such as Northeast Ohio, where I live) than one located in a rural area. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

On that note, I usually shop at Best Buy once every two weeks. I usually buy 2 DVDs per visit, but sometimes I will buy 3 if I feel like spending money. In the three Best Buys that I usually visit - Mentor, Mayfield Heights, and Macedonia, OH - their selection is pretty good. Most of the DVDs they sell are given the 33% discount off the MSRP, but as mentioned, they don't do that for most of the Geneon titles.

My last anime purchase from Best Buy occured today. I bought Elfen Lied Vector 1, Chrono Crusade Vol. 6, and Scrapped Princess Vol. 2.

Last edited by biliano on Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
gundamlion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
best buy is pretty good, i saw Nadisico dvds for 7.99 each. Shocked and there wasn't a sale.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
sts9 wrote:
To be honest, the selection is kinda poor. I really wouldn't consider shopping their unless there was a very good sale going on.

From what I've observed, Best Buy is good with stocking new releases, but they don't go very far beyond that.
Verdoozle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Best buy's selection could be better, but I used to always go there because they were cheaper then most stores, but now it seems like they are selling alot of the products for SRP. Especially there Geneon products. That's just too much.
fargazer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes BB prices are very good; occasionally I will find something in an "ultra cheap" mode of $9.99 instead of a MSRP of between $19.99 to $29.99. As one example, I saw a boxed Gundam Seed 1 DVD (which comes with not only box, but also soundtrack) for $19.99, while the normal DVD was only $9.99.

Other times they suck; their Mermaid Forest I DVD was priced at $29.99, and their boxed version (no extra other than the box) was $39.99.

Basically, you just have to browse through the selection to see what's a good buy and what's not; the particular good buys are going to vary from store to store. I don't know why the deals on titles is so irregular; my guess is it's either mispricing, or else they are trying to push individual DVDs that have been on the shelf a while that they want to move.

On a side note (after all, Best Buy once owned them), Media Play is not a bad spot to purchase anime, but you have to plan to get a good deal:

• Reserve titles you know you want on Replay triple point days (Replay is their frequent buyer program; triple points basically means you get 15% of your purchase back in certificates).
  • Pick up your reservations also on Replay triple point days
  • Plow your gift certificates back into the purchase of your reserved anime; if you spend them on other things, the non - reservation pricing will eat their buying power away too much

This only works because typically (not for everything) Media Play reservation pricing is competitive on normal releases. Once a week has gone by, the prices change from the typical $19.99 to the store's normal high price of $29.99. Boxed sets tend to not be worth the price, even with the Replay triple points, though there have been some exceptions (Otogi Zoshi was one). It takes a bit of effort to squeeze value out of Media Play, but it can be done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1