• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Weird ordering policies..

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikari22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Hey again, I'm interested in knowing any problems anyone outside the U.S. has had when buying from AnimeCornerStore.com or AnimeTen.com.

I was about to buy some stuff from AnimeTen.com when reading their policies I find that I have to send them a scan or photocopy of the front and back of my credit card and my ID. I went then to AnimeCornerStore.com and they have the same policy.

I find this way to weird and looks to me kinda a risky to do it. They say the destroy said copies after verifying the credit card is yours but still I don;t feel comfortable with it. That's why I come to you oh wise men so you can guide me through this and see if anyone outside the U.S has ordered something from them. You are the one eye men in the land of the blind.

thanks!!
Abel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
The policy exists to verify the ownership of the card. International orders have a higher risk of fraud due to the lack of address verification. Only Amex offers that service. A company I worked for lost a lot due to international fraud. This is the best way to deter and verify ownership of the card.

As a consumer you are protected against fraudulent charges on your card. A vendor is not so fortunate.

Trust is earned. You have to develop it with who ever you shop with. You take a risk every time you use the card. If you use it at the store, the employees have access to your number. If you use it to pay a bill, that company has access to it as well. It's up to you to take a leap of faith when you deal with using your card.

I can only speak for AnimeTen. We have a lot to lose if we abuse your credit card. Criminal prosecution, multiple fines, loss of our merchant license, and the anger of the anime fan base which we support. It's not worth the destruction of the company to risk it for fraud.

We strive to be as honest as we can be. It really has rewarded us well in the past and I see no reason why we should stop.

If you want more active input as to where to shop, try the Anime on DVD Retail Forum

The retail forum there has more active members and some have shopped with us before. It's another option you have if you desire to use it.

Abel
Animeten
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
It's not uncommon for companies to base policy around international issues. I've seen some companies that won't deal with the international market at all because of the problems that come about.

I've been a customer with Abel since 2000 and I've yet to encounter a problem with him. I have observed him put his reputation on the line time and again. As he's stated, he has no intelligent reason to misuse credit cards. I recommend him heartily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikari22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Well like you said Abel, I do take a risk everytime I use my card online. You do have to understand my side also, I'm very far from the U.S, specifically Honduras, Central America, so if I have to start fighting over any type of problem that has to do with my credit card it's pretty tough.

Trust is earned you say, I will trust for now and try out the store. I'll post my experience and comments here afterwards.

thanks!
ikari22

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I've placed my order, did it on July 05 around midnight. I;ve gotten the confirmation e-mail, and the e-mail telling me to send the scans of my credit card and ID.

I've sent the scans but now it's been almost 4 days and haven't heard absolutely anything about my order. I checked the website and now it seems they have trouble with all orders from a week ago. Sad

At the very least they could send an e-mail telling me if mine is one of the orders affected.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
ikari22 wrote:
Well I've placed my order, did it on July 05 around midnight. I;ve gotten the confirmation e-mail, and the e-mail telling me to send the scans of my credit card and ID.

I've sent the scans but now it's been almost 4 days and haven't heard absolutely anything about my order. I checked the website and now it seems they have trouble with all orders from a week ago. Sad

At the very least they could send an e-mail telling me if mine is one of the orders affected.

It'll take a while for those scans to reach their destination if you sent them by mail (it takes over a week for mail to reach some places within the lower 48 states by USPS, and they're pretty fast and efficient compared to many national postal services of other countries). If by email, give it a week at least. Verification and confirmation can take some time no matter how you sent it.

Patience is the key when buying at any place other than at a b&m store for anything, whether it be something from the Sears catalogue or it be anime from an online retailer.
ikari22

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
ok...sorry I just get excited sometimes....oh and I sent them by e-mail.
Abel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
ikari22 wrote:

Very true and I apologize for that. Reading the raw data is difficult and time consuming. We failed to realize that once we were able to obtain the email, we should have informed you. I hope my call to you today cleared things up.

I thank you for your patience and understanding as well as the chance to be of service to you. Your order, as all of the other affected orders, have had the shipping made free due to this inconvenience.

I regret that this happened with your first order with us. I hope you may honor us with another chance in the future.

Sincerely,

Abel
AnimeTen
ikari22

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Abel, I dont know if you received my e-mail but I wanted to apologize too for being a problem-customer and kinda of a jerk. The call was the big-seller (sorry about my mom not speaking any english), I have no reason not to trust you anymore, you've definitely earned my trust.

To anyone who needs to know AnimeTen rocks and you should have no doubt in purchasing from them!!

P.S. I should've waited a week though to place my order 'cause you have way cooler Full Metal Alchemist stuff this week, lol!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1