• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Untranslated Japanese sound effects

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:17 am Reply with quote
This has come up alot recently, too. What do you-all's think of it?

When sound effects text is left in Japanese in manga translations are the translators only doing half of the job, or are they doing us a favor?
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:35 am Reply with quote
I think it really depends on how the sound effect is done. If it's got a balloon of it's own then I feel it should be translated, if it's part of the actual art then it should be left alone. I don't know why they can't be added in under the frames as sort of footnotes. To me it's pointless to translate a sound effect without converting it to a familiar english form as well. Say theres a pic of a chick going "piyu-piyu", i'd rather see it translated to "peep-peep" instead, if you're going to use a different language then use that languages sound effects too. Eh, it's just one of those things that annoy me...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:49 am Reply with quote
I would have to agree with the if it is art leave it alone, and if it is speech translated it to the english equililent. It would be nice if there was a refernece in the back for the untranslated text though, a manga "liner notes"
John Jakala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:33 pm Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
I would have to agree with the if it is art leave it alone, and if it is speech translated it to the english equililent. It would be nice if there was a refernece in the back for the untranslated text though, a manga "liner notes"

This is how RAIJIN COMICS handles things - they leave the sound effects as is in the artwork, and they have "Sound Effects" columns that show examples of how the sound effects can be used in different situations.
Case

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Have any of you seen the way they handled the sound effects in Tokyopop's Initial D manga? That's the main title I had in mind when I created this thread.

The effects aren't especially artsy... They're mustly big, stretched white text in the background above and behind the cars. In that particular case (at least in the original edition of book 1) they are not translated in any way and aren't of much use to someone like me who doesn't know Japanese writing. I can't tell squealing tires from an engine exploding.

If anyone has seen it, how do you feel about this particular title? And what bearing do you think it has on the untranslated sound-effects trend in general? Is it just a bad example?
billslates

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I agree. I don't really think people care that much about having the sound effects translated. I mean, do you really think someone is reading the manga like this:

With untranslated SFX
(Person watching a frame with someone being punched)
Person- Wah! What the hell is going on in this frame! What's the guy doing? What's those weird lines on the page!

With translated SFX
(Preson watching a frame with someone being punched(changed from katakana to "BAM")
Person- Oh! The guy was punching him -phew-
(Person flips page)
Person- I was just reading this...
Person- What's going on! Japanese comics are so confusing!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1