• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Godzilla Film Remake's Comic-Con Poster Unveiled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Pacific Rim's performance will have an effect on the new Godzilla. Seeing a movie featuring giant robots fighting giant monsters do so poorly had to make them reevaluate some things. Godzilla at least has a big name in its favor.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I wonder if Pacific Rim's performance will have an effect on the new Godzilla. Seeing a movie featuring giant robots fighting giant monsters do so poorly had to make them reevaluate some things. Godzilla at least has a big name in its favor.

Emerje

Actually....
The last time I checked, it was sitting at $90,285,325 worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo. USA Domestic, however, was pretty bad. But the total's actually pretty solid. Besides, it doesn't really have many big names, is not a sequel and is an original film. It'll probably take some time with word of mouth. They probably didn't expect to make everything back though, that's just my thoughts.

I'm personally really hyped for the new Godzilla. Hopefully, it's more faithful to the original character than 98's Zilla was. The cartoon that spawned from 98 however was pretty awesome and a lot more faithful.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm very interested to see how this Godzilla turns out, too. Curious to see what the big guy does to Storybrooke. Shocked Was weird. One day was out for my evening walk and heard a helicopter overhead. It would fly around a bit, then hover for a long spell, then shift over a bit and hover again. Must have been up there 20-30 minutes, and was always facing the same direction (West) when hovering. I was getting a little paranoid, as it all took place around the block that I walk. Found out the next day that they were doing some filming for the movie.
shadowsythe13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
well godzilla is going to have a chance in box office if you have his name godzilla people will watch the movie I been a godzilla fan when i was 7 in 1997 i was so amazed of a unstoppable creature. A lot of people know who is he I can wait for the trailer
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
From looking at this poster, this does look very promising. I know this Godzilla will be closer to it's Japanese original.

Lynx Amali wrote:
I'm personally really hyped for the new Godzilla. Hopefully, it's more faithful to the original character than 98's Zilla was. The cartoon that spawned from 98 however was pretty awesome and a lot more faithful.

Although I didn't like the 98's Godzilla design, the movie was OK. But I did love the cartoon because how it was close to the Japanese counterpart (there was even some homage to the Japanese original in the cartoon).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Although I didn't like the 98's Godzilla design, the movie was OK.

I always thought it was a big pile of fish and by fish, I mean crap and by crap, I mean it ripped off Jurassic Park's pig pile of s***. And raptors. But had worse CGI. And worse characters. And worse actors. A bad script and an even worse director.

It wasn't Godzilla, it wasn't a monster movie, it wasn't an action movie. It wasn't good, it wasn't so bad, it's good and it wasn't satirical.

It was, however, a Big Cash Grab where the Big Apple got creamed by a Big Iguana.

I don't know in what world would all these equate to "ok". On the plus side, it did set the Bar quite low for further American remakes. Just having a thing that even vaguely looks like an iconic movie monster isn't a starting point, it's "game, set, match".
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
I have to admit the poster looks great. I wonder if that will be the monster of the day. Godzilla fights monster made up of toxic garbage.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
as long it is nothing like the '98 movie at all then all should be good. Hell they should use that movie as how not to make a movie in general.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't to get my hopes up too much, as even when I was eight years old I could tell Godzilla '98 was utter trash.

But, I have to say that is a neat poster. Maybe us Yanks will finally do Godzilla justice.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I'll believe it when I see it, when a Americanized Godzilla movie does good. I didn't think the '98 version was too bad, it was so different from original movie concept, it was hard to ignore it.

When the great hype machine of Hollywood gets going, it will be hard tell from crap and something with thought put into it.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
Makes me wish I had brought out my Blue Oyster Cult CD with me. I have a live concert version, and the Godzilla song intro is cool. There's a steady thumping to start off...
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I know this Godzilla will be closer to it's Japanese original.

That's because TOHO isn't making the same mistake twice. They're also taking a strong approach to oversee post-production just to make sure they don't get Emmerich'd again.

I concur, this is starting to look good. Now this is a movie I'll go see in the theaters.

But I have to say, nothing replaces rubber suit Godzilla.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1