• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tourist Jailed in New Zealand for Child Abuse 'Manga' Images

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Here we go again.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Whether it is an actual child or a cartoon, every image depicts a child being sexually abused, degraded, exploited and tortured and nothing excuses this offense," Panettiere said.
Quote:
"Whether it is an actual child or a cartoon, every image depicts a child...
Quote:
cartoons = children

Yeah, ok, whatever.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
So..........who was the victim in this crime the man was jailed for? I don't see any victims, besides an assumption that his images would lead to other crimes, and you can't be arrested for crimes you COULD commit.

Also, what shamisen said.

My first thought on seeing the article was "who has time to download 35,000 images of ANYTHING?".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My first thought on seeing the article was "who has time to download 35,000 images of ANYTHING?".

The only logical explanation is that his comp was acting as a server, this would explain why customs was looking for him in the first place.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
If only I could do a real estimation of citizens who actually commit a crime according to written law. My guess is around 90%. Imagine 10% of the lawfully correct angels feeding the 90%. Ironic. Oh people, you never [expletive] learn.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Might as well just mail your laptop in advance and take the plane without it when you go abroad at this rate.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Might as well just mail your laptop in advance and take the plane without it when you go abroad at this rate.

Don't be silly, just cover your laptop with the ultimate protection, Trojan.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
So, New Zealand customs has the right to open your laptop and search for anything inappropriate?
Eri94

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
"concerns by officials that the anime could illicit real-world child abuse."

Kind of like how playing Skyrim elicits my real life murder spree.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:

Consider the number of pages that might be in a manga. Assuming the average was 100 pages, that would be 350 works, which certainly isn't in infeasible (especially if many were tankobon anthology collections). Even with an average of only 35 pages each, it would be 1000 works. There are certainly people that have that many or more pirated anime, video, mainstream manga, TV shows, or almost any other type of media you care to name residing on their hard drive.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
So, New Zealand customs has the right to open your laptop and search for anything inappropriate?

Only if you're ignorant about law. Most people say yes, but they're perfectly within law to say no.

Remember the thing about vampires getting in your house with your permission?
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
"concerns by officials that the anime could illicit real-world child abuse."

Kind of like how playing Skyrim elicits my real life murder spree.

I don't know, when was the last time you saw a dragon? I'm pretty sure Skyrim is why dragons are extinct. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:

Consider the number of pages that might be in a manga. Assuming the average was 100 pages, that would be 350 works, which certainly isn't in infeasible (especially if many were tankobon anthology collections). Even with an average of only 35 pages each, it would be 1000 works. There are certainly people that have that many or more pirated anime, video, mainstream manga, TV shows, or almost any other type of media you care to name residing on their hard drive.

pretty much this, I have a bunch of manga downloaded such as kodomo no jikan, Mujaki no Rakuen and today in class 5-2 that could fall under this. People consider 32,000 images a lot but over the course of 8 years of being on @chan alone from just stand alone pics to never released manga. I have quite few anime images from desu des desu to funny evangelion shops to a huge library of azumanga daioh images.

*Hmm I just did a quick file count and I have around 32,750 images myself. Most are sfw mind you but given these new laws who knows, I will just be blunt saying this if you like anime keep it on separate external thumb or HDD when you go to travel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"The reality of child sexual exploitation imagery is grim enough, but undertaking a commercial enterprise around this activity is horrific."

This man would be terrified if he found out about Comiket.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Quote:
"The reality of child sexual exploitation imagery is grim enough, but undertaking a commercial enterprise around this activity is horrific."

This man would be terrified if he found out about Comiket.

That would actually be pretty funny IMO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9