• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror Blu-Ray + DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
I really liked the sheep doll, not just because he was undoubtedly cute, but it really reminded me of a nostalgiac childhood where it felt like toys really were living friends, and this got be a reality for Haruka.

This turned out to be such a sweet movie, one would never have assumed this was from the director of the Gantz films.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I really liked the sheep doll, not just because he was undoubtedly cute, but it really reminded me of a nostalgiac childhood where it felt like toys really were living friends, and this got be a reality for Haruka.

This turned out to be such a sweet movie, one would never have assumed this was from the director of the Gantz films.

I loved the designs used in the buildings, etc, and listening to Sawashiro Miyuki's voice. The plot and characters that I'm remembering? Nothing terribly original, but that was okay...
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
I didn't expect to enjoy this movie as much as I did. I bought it for my kids, I try to foster a love of anime with them and often pick up child friendly anime titles and watch them with them, but always pre-watch because there might be things that need explaining or just plain make it NOT a children's film. Anyway, I was looking it over and doing something else, and ended up getting absorbed in the film. I think it's pretty good, not great, but good. I plan on showing it to my 9 year old this weekend and we'll see how well it captures his imagination.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I certainly enjoyed it. It's not the greatest film but from a different cultural perspective it's simple. The type of warm fuzzy family feeling movie. I saw this film back when it was screened at the 2010 NYICFF (gkids.com) as part of the line up including 'Summer Wars'. It was my first time attending one of these festivals. When I saw this featured on ANN at that time I wanted to see it because it looked interesting and I figured there was no chance it would receive a release here. If I had not attended there's no way of knowing whether I would have liked it or not. I was surprised that it was picked up. I also saw the English premier too and I enjoyed it. It was a pretty well done dub. My mother enjoyed this as well.

I picked up the BD version because one retailer was offering at a pre-order discount. I was kind of annoyed at the info on the packaging. At the time it was announced there wasn't much info on its contents, considering that most BD combos consist of 1 BD and 1 standard, depending on their contents. Many of the listings never stated that there were 2 discs in the standard ed. and 3 in the BD until weeks later. The BD combo contains both the BD and the standard ed. It doesn't really tell you on the back that there are 2 extra discs inside, as anyone would assume there are 1 of each, or that the extras are only on the BD. Even the standard doesn't tell you there are 2 DVDs, because the 2nd disc holds the extras.

The reason I mention this is because when I purchase the BD combo (which was a discounted pre-order ) I wasn't thoroughly concerned with the full contents, as I figured the combo would contain both the feature and extras on either discs. But when I was looking for the standard version for my niece (as many walk-in retail stores don't stock standard ed., especially with anime titles) I found out at BB after really looking at the packaging and inventory data what both the BD and standard really contained.

I know that companies are trying to push consumers into buying BD but I shouldn't feel that I'm getting short changed out of the special features. Most BDs now are really pushing the special features not to mention limiting how much content they put on the BD packages as you often find at least 2 or 3 BD versions. I was never skeptical about buying BD combos, as some are pretty straight forward in content. But it makes you take a closer look as to what you really want get out of it this type of media. But I'm happy with my purchase.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
It looks like Production I.G. is trying to show that the Japanese can do warm and fuzzy as well as anyone in American animation can do. From what I've read of the review,it sounds like a good movie and I hope to see it in the near future.
lostrune

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
It looks like Production I.G. is trying to show that the Japanese can do warm and fuzzy as well as anyone in American animation can do. From what I've read of the review,it sounds like a good movie and I hope to see it in the near future.

Except this movie has panty shots, which makes it better Laughing
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I bought this on a whim, and I was pretty disappointed ... I'm not sure if it's just too "kiddy" or what (I usually enjoy children's programming, though ... but maybe it just wasn't quality enough). I just kind of felt it got pretty boring towards the middle and I was having trouble paying attention. I also TRIED to keep an open mind w/ the animation, but I just hated it ... I NEVER got used to it. It's way too "uncanny valley" for me and too "video game" looking Razz
gwdone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
People writing in this forum watches Pixar titles?? Ha- ha, now that's funny. I'm debating this title. I like the textures shown in the trailer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1