• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Hidamari Sketch × Hoshimittsu, Orphen

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Looks like i'll be getting Angel Beat at Otakon 2011
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see another old ADV title pop up in Sentai's listings... it has a fun dub from what I recall.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Nice to see another old ADV title pop up in Sentai's listings... it has a fun dub from what I recall.

Sentai and ADV had already released a complete collection of this a while back and both seasons have been streaming on Anime Network for at least a year. This is actually the second time they will be offering the complete series. Sentai has had season 2 for a while, while ADV still had season 1. Not sure which label(s) will appear on it this time.

Angel Beats is a definite buy on bluray. I will also be grabbing Hidamari Sketch. I was starting to worry they may not pick up more of it and I'm glad I was wrong.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

What other ADV title did Sentai license rescue from thier former label?
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Yaaaaaaay!!! I'm so glad Hidamari Sketch season 3 is now licensed, I too was a bit worried... I'm pre-ordering it as soon as it's available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IvoryMist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
This is great. I'll be pre-ordering Angel Beats! as soon as it's available ^^
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Paploo wrote:

What other ADV title did Sentai license rescue from thier former label?

In addition to Orphen Season 1, they also nabbed Burn Up!, Those Who Hunt Elves, and Sakura Wars (TV Series).

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Sentai have access to ADV's old catalogue by default? Orphen wasn't exactly a stellar show to begin with, but hopefully it will do pretty well.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Excellent news about the Angel Beats Blu-ray now only if we could get a official release of Bakemonogatari on Blu-ray.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Doesn't Sentai have access to ADV's old catalogue by default? Orphen wasn't exactly a stellar show to begin with, but hopefully it will do pretty well.

No, they are legally separate entities. ADV's series are overseen by AeSir holdings. When they are released, like season 2 of Orphen on their last complete collection, and Princess Tutu, they still have the ADV logo.

When the last collection was released, ADV still had season 2. I don't know if that's changed or not. We likely won't know until the set is released. It appears the last complete collection Sentai released is out of print and sold out on most sites, so it couldn't have done too badly.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
YES, more Hidamari Sketch is most welcome, I'll definitely be picking it up. And nice to see Angel Beats get a release date, definite purchase as well. I might get Allison to Lillia, we'll see, and I'll have to look more into Orphen.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:

Mostly the early boom era stuff from around 2004 and before.

This means they probably still have alot of Monster Island dubbed titles as well as a few Streamline stuff.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
July 26th, I will now mark that date on my calendar. Now if they would just put up the release date for Yumekui Merry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
FaytLein wrote:

Mostly the early boom era stuff from around 2004 and before.

This means they probably still have alot of Monster Island dubbed titles as well as a few Streamline stuff.

Nearly all the " early boom" stuff has expired. Contract lengths are usually 5-7 years. The majority of ADV's dubbed catalog has expired, with the exception of Elfen Lied, Rahxephon, Evangelion, E's Otherwise, Azumanga Daioh, Best Student Council, Super Milk Chan, Sister Princess, Mezzo and a few others. However, not all of these licenses still include DVD rights. Some only have digital or TV rights at the moment.

Also, Sentai and ADV are legally two separate entities. That's why the last Orphen Collection had both the ADV and Sentai logos on it. Sentai just can't take an ADV title and release it on DVD. They would have to acquired home video rights for it first.

As far as I know, all of the old Streamline titles have long since expired. None are streaming online or download, and none have been offered on DVD in a few years.
Chronomeister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Now that I know Angel Beats is coming to Blu-ray, that recently purchased Blu-ray player I got seems totally justified.

Last edited by Chronomeister on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3