• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Wins Bid to Host 2020 Summer Olympics

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to Tokyo. I got back from two weeks in Japan last weekend, and while I was there, they were promoting it in a number of major cities, although obviously Tokyo was the focal point. Saw it everywhere I went - Tokyo Tower, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Observatories, Akihabara, Odaiba (Diver City Mall, home of the 1:1 Gundam statue). I'll be interested in seeing how Tokyo manages such a huge event, and how close to central Tokyo the games are held.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
This is amazing! I'm really, really, really, REALLY excited for this! London last year was amazing, but Tokyo's is going to be fantastic! I mean, this is one of the most creative, beautiful, and futuristic countries in the world! I can't even imagine how amazing their opening ceremony is going to be! Maybe Doreamon will run around Tokyo carrying the torch, or maybe a tribute to Japanese Animation (like Studio Ghibli , with a great big Totoro appearing in the center of the stadium.) Or Maybe a tribute to the World Famous Japanese Video Game Industry! Oooh, just thinking of it is giving me goosebumps, I'm so excited!!!! Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
This is amazing! I'm really, really, really, REALLY excited for this! London last year was amazing, but Tokyo's is going to be fantastic! I mean, this is one of the most creative, beautiful, and futuristic countries in the world! I can't even imagine how amazing their opening ceremony is going to be! Maybe Doreamon will run around Tokyo carrying the torch, or maybe a tribute to Japanese Animation (like Studio Ghibli , with a great big Totoro appearing in the center of the stadium.) Or Maybe a tribute to the World Famous Japanese Video Game Industry! Oooh, just thinking of it is giving me goosebumps, I'm so excited!!!! Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper

SEGA Orbi and Orbi Earth/BBC Worldwide will be one of the main sponsors of the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.

SEGASammy had already signed bidding sponsor papers in 2008.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I think it's wonderful that Tokyo won the bid. It will be very interesting to see what they come up with for the Opening Ceremonies and within seven years, technology can change very quickly. Think it might be pretty neat to see the latest generation at that time of ASIMO running around the Olympic Stadium carrying the torch. Wink
akapahua

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
My twitter exploded when this was announced. I'm really happy that they won, but at the same time disappointed. I really thought it was going to be Istanbul that was going to win and am a bit sad they didn't. However, not shocked due to the unrest/economy there and I knew with Madrid's economy that they would be out first. Although I understand their concerns, I thought Tokyo was riskier with everyone being paranoid and such, but whatever. I guess Japan's economy weighed more than any other concerns.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Matsuda better win the gold in swimming this time.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Good. That way they're probably coming back to Europe in 2024 (hopefully in Rome or Paris Embarassed) . Laughing

Outside of all that, I'm actually thrilled because I can't wait to see what Japan will do for their ceremonies : hopefully it will be the best of the modern and the best of the traditional combined.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
WOW! Radiation scares and all? They must have wined and dined the IOC something fierce to actually pull this off. Everywhere I read said Madrid was a sure thing. Maybe 2024 for them...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
Rin Matsuoka better win the gold in swimming this time.

There. Fixed it for you.

Sorry, I couldn't resist
EastN3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Of course, that's it! Otomo knew it all along! Akira is being contained underneath Fukushima, but with the recent meltdown they need a new containment chamber for him. That's why they needed to win this bid, the building of the stadium gives them the perfect chance to build the secret facility underneath it, while also allowing them privacy under the context of keeping it all a surprise! Clever, but not clever enough.

That said, I'm glad. Tokyo is a pretty cool place.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
This'll be... interesting...

Tokyo's already crowded as it is. I wonder how the trains will accommodate. The humidity in summer always sends a number of people to the hospital. Hopefully none of the athletes or spectators fall victim to the heat. Well, I guess they've hosted the Olympics once before so we'll see how it goes.

A lot of people are worried that Tokyo Big Sight will be used by the Olympics so they can't have NatsuComi there. ^^;
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Come on something from Lucky Star or K-On! be named for one of the sport arenas
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure that anime will be featured as one of the big benefits of Japan in the opening ceremonies in 2020 but people shouldn't come here and expect that the entire ceremony will revolve around anime. Japan is more than just anime.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
This is exciting!!! I'm hoping the 2020 olympics in Tokyo could give anime and manga maybe a lot of spotlight from the international media. Who knows, maybe the Olympic in Tokyo could revive international interest in anime and manga. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
This'll be... interesting...

Tokyo's already crowded as it is. I wonder how the trains will accommodate. The humidity in summer always sends a number of people to the hospital. Hopefully none of the athletes or spectators fall victim to the heat. Well, I guess they've hosted the Olympics once before so we'll see how it goes.

A lot of people are worried that Tokyo Big Sight will be used by the Olympics so they can't have NatsuComi there. ^^;

Correct me if I'm wrong, but host cities have to build the competition stadiums, Olympic Village, etc. from scratch and cannot use existing locations, so I don't think Big Sight is threatened,

Now the notion of Comiket-goers and Olympic tourists rubbing elbows... oh that would be interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4