Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23, Maiden Japan Add Glass Maiden Mystery Anime


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pantsmca



Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 91
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
Why am I just learning about this anime? It sounds positively awesome!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NJ_



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 2500
Location: Wallington, NJ
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
This was known for a while since it was revealed 2 weeks ago that it would air on Anime Network this summer.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=107670
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Hed



Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1607
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:09 am Reply with quote
What.

That must've been a tack-on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7272
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
pantsmca wrote:
Why am I just learning about this anime? It sounds positively awesome!


It's really not. The description is quite misleading.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3213
Location: NE Ohio
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
pantsmca wrote:
Why am I just learning about this anime? It sounds positively awesome!
Don't spend enough time looking through Crunchy's back catalog, maybe?

I finished it, but I only had it on my favorites to make it easy to find on the roku player ~ it went off again as soon as I finished it.

& ikillchicken is mostly right ~ the reason you haven't heard of it is because its not something you'd go on about after you've finished it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Blood-
Subscriber



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 21297
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
Crystal Blaze (my preferred title for Glass Maiden) was one of those weird titles for me in that I enjoyed it far more than it deserved. Couldn't even really tell you why - it just clicked with me. I'm happy to see it get a release. It joins the ever-expanding list of titles I'll be getting from Sentai ... some day.

I'm curious about Maiden Japan - anybody know if this is a Japanese company or is it part of Sentai? Any details would be appreciated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
_V_



Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 619
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
This article is incorrect: "Maiden Japan" isn't "new" or anything.

They're Section 23's (spiritual) successor to the old Soft Cel Pictures/Happy Carrot line. That is, like "Kitty Media", they're the alternate label that they license hentai stuff under.

However, they only ever released one title so far with it: Papillon Rose. This was over a year ago, but at the time, there was indeed some discussion over at AnimeOnDVD where they had to spell out that Maiden Japan is legally a separate company, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.D._Vision#Soft_Cel_Pictures

So its not "new" at all, its apparently their hentai label. What's surprising is that this "Glass Maiden" show, while apparently featuring violence and nudity....isn't particularly an exploitation series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Asrialys



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 1132
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
This article is incorrect: "Maiden Japan" isn't "new" or anything.

They're Section 23's (spiritual) successor to the old Soft Cel Pictures/Happy Carrot line. That is, like "Kitty Media", they're the alternate label that they license hentai stuff under.

However, they only ever released one title so far with it: Papillon Rose. This was over a year ago, but at the time, there was indeed some discussion over at AnimeOnDVD where they had to spell out that Maiden Japan is legally a separate company, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.D._Vision#Soft_Cel_Pictures

So its not "new" at all, its apparently their hentai label. What's surprising is that this "Glass Maiden" show, while apparently featuring violence and nudity....isn't particularly an exploitation series.

Erm...remember that Section23 and all that are formally treated as new companies. So yes, "new" would be the correct term, regardless of actual history.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
Subscriber



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 21297
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
Ah, thanks for the background info _V_. Yeah, Crystal Blaze is no where close to hentai or even ecchi, really. I wonder why Sentai feels the need to release this title under that line. "Maiden Japan" sounds a bit misleading because it kind of seems like a line that would release shojo titles or something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2524
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Crystal Blaze (my preferred title for Glass Maiden) was one of those weird titles for me in that I enjoyed it far more than it deserved. Couldn't even really tell you why - it just clicked with me. I'm happy to see it get a release. It joins the ever-expanding list of titles I'll be getting from Sentai ... some day.

I'm curious about Maiden Japan - anybody know if this is a Japanese company or is it part of Sentai? Any details would be appreciated.


Maiden Japan is the division of Switchblade that releases animated series. Their first release was Papillon Rose. This will be their second release.

So they are somewhat part of the greater Section 23 umbrella, but legally are separate. I never expected to see anything else from Maiden Japan since Switchblade has seemed to have stopped releasing titles, and it's final solicitations from April of last year never made it to market.

Like others said, this was accidentally revealed by Anime Network two weeks ago, though it wasn't confirmed for DVD release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jmfsilenthill



Joined: 31 Aug 2009
Posts: 1863
Location: Chinese cartoons are srs biz
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, might look into it someday. Strange why this is being released under the Maiden Japan line though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2524
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Sounds interesting, might look into it someday. Strange why this is being released under the Maiden Japan line though.


Switchblade Pictures and Maiden Japan have often been referred to as "someone else's baby". They actually have different people managing them behind the scenes than Sentai and Section 23, even though they still use S23 as a dsitributor. They still negotiate their contracts and licenses separately, so they are apparently the ones that acquired this one (and a few more judging by the PR.)

Matt Greenfield is usually listed as the Executive Producer on most Switchblade releases, as opposed to Sentai releases that list John Ledford.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mudduck454



Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 303
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
well I will pass on this release, but if they want to license something that I will buy, then they need to license Hanasakeru Seishonen, it's kinda like a thriller, but more of a reverse harem/drama, I just love kajika Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
wandering-dreamer



Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 1733
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, the article made this sound interesting but the description on CR's website makes the show sound rather average actually, guess I'll pass on it unless I find some amazing reviews for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8225
Location: IL
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Crystal Blaze was pretty much a complete mess. I can only imagine this being one of those titles where the license is so cheap that they figure it only needs to sell a small amount to make a profit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group