• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former Funimation Parent Navarre Posts 4th Quarter Results

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxnewsnetwork

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else feel that Japanese anime corporations are taking the wrong route in breaking into the United States market? Anime doesn't have the domestic priority that native American television series enjoy in terms of piracy protection. Furthermore, Anime doesn't employ difficult to pirate technologies such as the whole 3D movie thing that seems to be the crazy in the States nowadays.

Thus, I feel it behooves companies, instead of licensing shows, to go the underground the route and distribute the shows freely abroad. And invest more money into exporting anime-related accessories to the States. Just my 2cents.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
3D movies make it harder to pirate American TV series. lolwhut?
Aara123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
American shows have piracy protection? What? You can find any American show online a few minutes after it's done airing
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
The Impairment Charge if I am understanding this comes from the fact that Navarre got a lot less for Funimation then they thought. Meaning Funimation didn't really loose money, just that after the write down of its value it lost money.

Meaning they made a profit of 1.2m before the adjustment, not to mention I am sure Navarre was pushing off reporting cost till after they sold it, in order to make the company look more appetizing for buyers.

Then again I could be totally wrong and just being stupid.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
ANN editors, please make sure we see Navarre's results for at least the next few quarters as well. It might make for some interesting comparisons.

As someone who thinks physical media will become a less significant method for distributing information products, I wonder what Navarre's long-term prospects will be. Shipping boxes of software to retailers doesn't really seem like a strategically-advantaged business any more.
aereus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote
The whole animation vs merchandise issue is the unfortunate thing about licensing series outside of Japan. A significant (if not majority, I don't have hard numbers) portion of series revenues comes from the merchandise, not the actual physical media sold.

Yet those same drama CDs, wallscrolls, figures, etc. have very little market penetration into foreign countries like the US. And I don't even think it would be economically feasible to have Akiba-style merch stores in the US outside of a handful of major cities.

All of the anime-related shops I know of tend to still focus on the video and manga side of things, with only a small selection of the merchandise goods. Although through Rightstuf you can get a decent selection of merch these days without paying exorbitant prices. And I imagine the drama CDs would fare just as bad as anime and OST sales do in the US.

American fandom tends to be fairly "cheap" could you say. They focus on a handful of shows that they show rabid support for over long periods of time, while most languish entirely. And a lot of that support is lip-service or buying cheap knockoffs that the creators don't see any money from.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
ANN editors, please make sure we see Navarre's results for at least the next few quarters as well. It might make for some interesting comparisons.

As someone who thinks physical media will become a less significant method for distributing information products, I wonder what Navarre's long-term prospects will be. Shipping boxes of software to retailers doesn't really seem like a strategically-advantaged business any more.
A plausible reason for the sale ~ they need to retool to get into selling apps.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
The Impairment Charge if I am understanding this comes from the fact that Navarre got a lot less for Funimation then they thought. Meaning Funimation didn't really loose money, just that after the write down of its value it lost money.

Meaning they made a profit of 1.2m before the adjustment, not to mention I am sure Navarre was pushing off reporting cost till after they sold it, in order to make the company look more appetizing for buyers.

Then again I could be totally wrong and just being stupid.

No, that sounds about right. It is also a strategic move by some companies after they divest an organization which might be a near-term competitor ... makes them look less viable to the market.

What I'm hoping for is that Funimation will continue to report quarterly and maybe even provide an IPO down the road. I think that one of the big things that hurt companies like ADV was that their books were closed, which made it easy for the ownership to paint a rosier picture of their corporate health than was real.

I know that when Funimation was a subsidary of Navarre, it was easy to correlate trends in the anime industry (to a limited extent) based on their reported earnings, cash flows, etc.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:

Meaning they made a profit of 1.2m before the adjustment,
Yup, that sounds about right (before taxes, of course).

Quote:
... not to mention I am sure Navarre was pushing off reporting cost till after they sold it, in order to make the company look more appetizing for buyers.
There's nothing strategic about it. The reporting of a gain or loss on the sale against the current book value of the operation has to wait until the sale is completed.

Think about it: {Proceeds of Sale} - {Book Value} = ...

... its not possible to do until its been sold. Before the sale, one of the two numbers is missing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1