Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Entertainment Japan Makes Foray Into TV Anime


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
clipeuh



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like an attempt to cash-in on the current moe craze in Japan. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13686
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
clipeuh wrote:
Sounds like an attempt to cash-in on the current moe craze in Japan. Rolling Eyes


Like any other J-studio! Laughing

They're turning Japanese!
I think they're turning Japanese!
I really think so!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nhat



Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 915
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
clipeuh wrote:
Sounds like an attempt to cash-in on the current moe craze in Japan. Rolling Eyes


What? Like all those american idols clones and reality TV shows? Theres a lot of anime but not as many as all those reality TV shows and stuff like here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mushi-Man



Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 1537
Location: KCMO
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
Based on the concept and story summery of Kami-sama no Memo-cho it could either be really cool or really awful. My opinion is split. I mean the promo that got streamed makes it look really promising. But the main female character looks like such a generic moe design. I'll just have to wait and see.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Failachu



Joined: 26 Apr 2010
Posts: 26
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
clipeuh wrote:
Sounds like an attempt to cash-in on the current moe craze in Japan. Rolling Eyes


The anime industry has always cashed in on moe. It has been the core foundation of the medium since its beginnings. Simply look at Mazinger Z; Burning spirits, all over the place!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
Although cashing in on a fad can be profitable at times, it can also close to bankruptcy and or cause you to sell off your business.

For bankruptcy, I am referencing to Borders. Although I personally enjoyed buying manga there when I still could (all the ones close by or somewhat with in reasonable distance have now all shut down) it was a great place to buy manga at a reasonable price. However, I think they might have relied to much on manga, even though for a while I remember it some series being so popular it was hard to keep some in stock.

But in this case with Warner, it's wait and see at this point. Although Moe is the newest craze in Japan now, I wonder how long it will be as popular now as it will be in several years. I'll admit, moe does bring in a big demographic now and some money to go with it, but it's hard to tell how long a fad will remain as strong as it was once it first started out.

Either way, Warner Entertainment is trying to cash in on the moe craze now and if it makes them money, all the better for them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Although cashing in on a fad can be profitable at times, it can also close to bankruptcy and or cause you to sell off your business.

For bankruptcy, I am referencing to Borders. Although I personally enjoyed buying manga there when I still could (all the ones close by or somewhat with in reasonable distance have now all shut down) it was a great place to buy manga at a reasonable price. However, I think they might have relied to much on manga, even though for a while I remember it some series being so popular it was hard to keep some in stock.

But in this case with Warner, it's wait and see at this point. Although Moe is the newest craze in Japan now, I wonder how long it will be as popular now as it will be in several years. I'll admit, moe does bring in a big demographic now and some money to go with it, but it's hard to tell how long a fad will remain as strong as it was once it first started out.

Either way, Warner Entertainment is trying to cash in on the moe craze now and if it makes them money, all the better for them.


Until they find something that sells merchandise better than moe/ecchi does, it will stay the fad. Since these days you can't depend just on BD/DVD sales, for money, and shows with cute girls always sell far more merchandise than anything outside of like Gundam
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ArsenicSteel



Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 2370
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For bankruptcy, I am referencing to Borders. Although I personally enjoyed buying manga there when I still could (all the ones close by or somewhat with in reasonable distance have now all shut down) it was a great place to buy manga at a reasonable price. However, I think they might have relied to much on manga, even though for a while I remember it some series being so popular it was hard to keep some in stock.


So the one or two 6ft sections of manga in a Borders store is an example of Borders having too much of a focus on manga?
You are really reaching there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13686
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
clipeuh wrote:
Sounds like an attempt to cash-in on the current moe craze in Japan. Rolling Eyes


What? Like all those american idols clones and reality TV shows? Theres a lot of anime but not as many as all those reality TV shows and stuff like here.


Are ya sure? There's usually 40+ new anime every season. I can't even name that many TV series all year. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 3679
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
I've already gone through this a few times already with sales figures, but moe does not bring the cash anymore than any other genre. Like enurtsol just mentioned, there's a ton of new anime shows, a fair amount of typical moe, and quite a lot (more actually) without too. Yet how many actually make it big? Take for example a recent Funi license: Shukufuku no Campanella, based on an eroge - by all accounts and by every measure people would use, you would assume, "Aha another moe + fanservice cash cow!" But you'd be entirely wrong: Absolutely terrible sales with less than 1k per vol (so low, the stats are unaccounted for most vols). I have a feeling Oretsuba (We Without Wings) will also suffer a similar fate in Japan. On the other hand Media Blasters hit the jackpot with Squid Girl among the moe shows.

So moe doesn't make money. SF/Fantasy doesn't make money. Drama doesn't make money, and so on. What makes money are shows people like enough to spend lots of money on, which could be 1 out of 100 for any given genre.

Besides, this article mentions that Warner Japan is producing two new shows. The other one being a "NEET detective" story... if anyone noticed. Even they know not to put all their eggs in one basket.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ermat_46



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 409
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I've already gone through this a few times already with sales figures, but moe does not bring the cash anymore than any other genre. Like enurtsol just mentioned, there's a ton of new anime shows, a fair amount of typical moe, and quite a lot (more actually) without too. Yet how many actually make it big? Take for example a recent Funi license: Shukufuku no Campanella, based on an eroge - by all accounts and by every measure people would use, you would assume, "Aha another moe + fanservice cash cow!" But you'd be entirely wrong: Absolutely terrible sales with less than 1k per vol (so low, the stats are unaccounted for most vols). I have a feeling Oretsuba (We Without Wings) will also suffer a similar fate in Japan. On the other hand Media Blasters hit the jackpot with Squid Girl among the moe shows.

So moe doesn't make money. SF/Fantasy doesn't make money. Drama doesn't make money, and so on. What makes money are shows people like enough to spend lots of money on, which could be 1 out of 100 for any given genre.

Besides, this article mentions that Warner Japan is producing two new shows. The other one being a "NEET detective" story... if anyone noticed. Even they know not to put all their eggs in one basket.


Problem: Campanella is an uninspired "moe meets fanservice" adaptation. Madoka is moe, has the storyline has strong impact, it sells. K-On! is moe, but at the same time it is SoL done right. Haruhi Suzumiya is moe, but has such an interesting premise.

Relying on moe will not guarantee success, but moe done right will create massive success. Prove me wrong if needed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 3679
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Problem: Campanella is an uninspired "moe meets fanservice" adaptation. Madoka is moe, has the storyline has strong impact, it sells. K-On! is moe, but at the same time it is SoL done right. Haruhi Suzumiya is moe, but has such an interesting premise.

Relying on moe will not guarantee success, but moe done right will create massive success. Prove me wrong if needed.

Well I would argue that Madoka isn't moe in the way most define it, more like deconstructionist, dark fantasy, meta-trope-inverting-moe. In any case, sure, I agree moe can make money, which is no different from any other genre in that respect. However my point is that the idea of cashing in on moe bandwagon is totally silly when you consider how many shows out there that are not successful (the ones you mentioned are but a tiny fraction)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ermat_46



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 409
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Problem: Campanella is an uninspired "moe meets fanservice" adaptation. Madoka is moe, has the storyline has strong impact, it sells. K-On! is moe, but at the same time it is SoL done right. Haruhi Suzumiya is moe, but has such an interesting premise.

Relying on moe will not guarantee success, but moe done right will create massive success. Prove me wrong if needed.

Well I would argue that Madoka isn't moe in the way most define it, more like deconstructionist, dark fantasy, meta-trope-inverting-moe. In any case, sure, I agree moe can make money, which is no different from any other genre in that respect. However my point is that the idea of cashing in on moe bandwagon is totally silly when you consider how many shows out there that are not successful (the ones you mentioned are but a tiny fraction)


Sadly, the problem with most anime today is that majority of these titles doesn't create any impact to the viewers anymore. That's what most successful shows have. Majority of those shows became obscure at least 1 or 2 seasons after. The 1-cour format of most anime today doesn't really help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13686
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:47 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
However my point is that the idea of cashing in on moe bandwagon is totally silly when you consider how many shows out there that are not successful


Though it doesn't stop them from kept trying to hop on the bandwagon. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 8156
Location: England, UK
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
OOooooo! How do you say "That's All Folks" in Japanese?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group