• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vinland Saga GN 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Hooray for Historically accurate Vikings aka No Horned Helmets! (Seriously, those helmets are just impractical and never existed in Viking times.)

While Thorfinn is the protagonist, Askeladd is the star of the manga.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
This and Kingdom are currently the best history manga right now. While I haven't been able to read it, the review intrigued me and the artwork is fascinating. Now that I don't know much about Norse myth or Viking, this would make a big plus also.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:

While Thorfinn is the protagonist, Askeladd is the star of the manga.

Completely agreed. Asleladd is an absolutely fascinating character and yes,spoiler[he's got that name for a reason.]
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Hello, maybe this is the wrong thread to ask but I can't find this manga anywhere. Was it released?
navycherub

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Akeladd is the best character in the manga, not "unlikeable" at all I think.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Hello, maybe this is the wrong thread to ask but I can't find this manga anywhere. Was it released?

I ordered mine from my local comic shop - I haven't seen it in the bookstore, but it is out.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The art definitely starts out as a bit "generic shounen", but it does get considerably better in later chapters, when it starts becoming more of an "adult" manga. The lack of interesting female characters pretty much stays the same, though.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know whether Rebecca has read ahead in scanlations or anything, but yes, Askeladd and his name are significant, and he's much more of an anti-villain or even an anti-hero than a true villain. Heck, most of the characters in this are a mix of sympathetic and appalling thanks to the values dissonance going on. And while I only read about five volumes in before this got licensed, most female characters to that point spoiler[had remained relatively minor. Sad]

I also want to give a big thumbs up on this translation as incredibly readable and engrossing; it never reads like a translation, it's very smooth and memorable. I hope that a paperback version comes out eventually because I really want to own my own copy.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Canny readers may recognize the name “Askeladd” as a variation of the Northern European folk hero Askeladden, or “Ash Lad,” typically a male version of Cinderella.

Kind of, and not really. In the original tales, his full name tends to be "Espen Askeladd", the latter being more of a nickname he got, which is really the only thing that he has in common with Cinderella, or, as she's known in Norwegian; "Askepott". (Well, that, and they both usually have two older siblings who make fun of them or otherwise put them down.)

I'm guessing Askeladd chose to go on viking raids as a means of taking a break from having verbal spars with his wife. Razz
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:

Yes, the manga is out and still being published. There have been shortages of Vol. 1 online on Amazon and RightStuf.com, but if you're lucky enough to walk into a Barnes and Noble or check out Ebay, there should be a volume or two on the shelf.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Bought the last copy that Anime Pop had in Dallas.
Twage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I also want to give a big thumbs up on this translation as incredibly readable and engrossing; it never reads like a translation, it's very smooth and memorable. I hope that a paperback version comes out eventually because I really want to own my own copy.

I don't know why you would wait for a paperback version, but with a 2-in-1 hardcover priced at $19.99 it's extremely unlikely there will ever be a paperback. If you want a copy, buy the hardcover.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this manga until I reached the part where spoiler[Thorfinn has become enslaved and is not only being abused, but so is everyone around him...and yet he decides not to do anything about it. If I recall correctly (been well over a year since I stopped reading it), he had to plow a really rocky field and was promised a share of the crops if he did it within a certain time frame...except you knew he was going to be backstabbed and his hard work would not pay off for him.]

Was I the only one that wanted to give Thorfinn a hug? I always felt so bad for him.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
Now to wait for the anime adaptation...(fingers crossed...)
lem

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:23 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
... Was it released?

yes. it was available for order in May: Vinland Saga Volume 1

Quote:
...more men get stabbed in the eye than you can reasonably count as the pure cruelty of medieval warfare is depicted...

Indeed. Eye candy for the gore fan, if you will. Nothing quite like straight up conquering and all of that ensuing carnage to take you to that other "back in the day". The one when men were men and sheep were... traded for your life? Smile

This was well worth the wait. Yukimura's creation of two badass characters in Askeladd and Thorfinn are great. The interesting historical backdrop and the occasional sense of humor is just icing on the cake. I'm lovin' it so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3