• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Freedom Wars Game's English-Subtitled Story Promo Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Really looking forward to this.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they keep the Japanese audio. Suwabe and Ishida would be wonderful to listen to.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about this game. On one hand the visual style looks cool. On the other hand it just looks like another bland and boring MH clone. Going even deeper though, it dosen't even look like a good MH clone. All the gameplay looks slow plodding.

I really wish the high budget games on the Vita weren't MH clones. I don't like MH at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
daviogbe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:48 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I don't know about this game. On one hand the visual style looks cool. On the other hand it just looks like another bland and boring MH clone. Going even deeper though, it dosen't even look like a good MH clone. All the gameplay looks slow plodding.

I really wish the high budget games on the Vita weren't MH clones. I don't like MH at all.

So how did games in the hunting game genre become Monster Hunter Clones?? This game has literally nothing to do with MH except for the fact they're in the same genre. Hell the mechanics are not even the same… If what your saying is the case then really MH is a clone of Phantasy Star, which is the first of the genre…. the assumption isn't valid. If you don't like hunting games in general that's different.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
daviogbe wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

So how did games in the hunting game genre become Monster Hunter Clones?? This game has literally nothing to do with MH except for the fact they're in the same genre. Hell the mechanics are not even the same… If what your saying is the case then really MH is a clone of Phantasy Star, which is the first of the genre…. the assumption isn't valid. If you don't like hunting games in general that's different.

Because they are clones, only made because MH is popular?

GTA3 wasn't the first open world game either, but it was the most inspirational. When we had games come out and try GTA3's shitck we called them GTA clones.

Same for FPS with Doom and even fighters with SF2.

That's how game genres start.

PSO may pre-date MH, but it's MH that has inspired these imitators. These games do follow MH lead even if they do or try different things. Hence they are MH clones. It almost seems dumb to me to deny that. To say this game has nothing to do with MH is basically lying to yourself. My assumption is incredibly valid, because it's the assumption anyone taking one glance at this game will have. It's also the reason this game exists, it clearly is targeted at the audience and to fill the void on the vita.

And of course I don't like the hunting genre(gee this genre if it even is that yet is even named after MH), thats what I said in my post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
daviogbe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
daviogbe wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Because they are clones, only made because MH is popular?

GTA3 wasn't the first open world game either, but it was the most inspirational. When we had games come out and try GTA3's shitck we called them GTA clones.

Same for FPS with Doom and even fighters with SF2.

That's how game genres start.

PSO may pre-date MH, but it's MH that has inspired these imitators. These games do follow MH lead even if they do or try different things. Hence they are MH clones. It almost seems dumb to me to deny that. To say this game has nothing to do with MH is basically lying to yourself. My assumption is incredibly valid, because it's the assumption anyone taking one glance at this game will have. It's also the reason this game exists, it clearly is targeted at the audience and to fill the void on the vita.

And of course I don't like the hunting genre(gee this genre if it even is that yet is even named after MH), thats what I said in my post.

Well it's your opinion so am not gonna argue with that, but to say every game that has a hunting element in it is a clone of Monster Hunter is a bit old. And saying that the hunting genre is named after MH is like saying the fighting genre is named after Street Fighter. No it's not…
Monster Hunter is THE most popular game in the genre yes, and am not denying that. That being said, it did not invent it. Phantasy Star did. As such the same argument could be said about the relationship between MH and Phantasy star.
Yes these were probably made due to the absence of MH, but they're also fundamentally different. Hence they are different games. But then again as someone who hates the genre i can see why you think they're all clones, which is fair enough. But at the end of the day, it would also be foolish for Sony to ignore this market considering it's what sell systems in Japan.
In any case this cast is AWESOME!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1