• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Latest 'Which Anime Do You Want To See As Live-Action' Offers Surprising Answers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Slam Dunk would be really cool to see.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I can see a good number of these working (with the exception of One Piece, to which, why the hell would you want THAT to be in live action of all things?) and since haganai I believe got a live action film I can definitely see snafu working.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Clannd, huh? It would probably work as a TV drama. I've seen quite a lot of them that are legitimately sad.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Actually, One Piece would work quite well in tokusatsu. The target demographic is about the same as the Kamen Rider demographic (roughly 7-9 year old boys), and they've managed some pretty good effects in recent years for KR. Luffy's stretchiness could be done similar to LunaJoker/LunaMetal/LunaTrigger from Kamen Rider W, for example.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
How about no
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree, One Piece is similar to Dragon Ball and would never work in live action because its so stylized and iconic.

Those first couple JoJo arcs had a Caucasian cast and could in theory be done by a British/Hollywood studio. (We know Hollywood hates casting Asians.) Providing that the writers didn't butcher the story of course, which they almost certainly would.
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see live-action Trigun.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
My favorite live action adaptations that also have anime adaptations* are the Rurouni Kenshin movie, the Toshokan Sensou (Library Wars) movie, the Korean Antique movie (based on Antique Bakery), and honestly the Ouran High School Host Club J-drama was a lot better than I expected it to be.

*Really the live action movies/dramas are another adaptation of the same source manga, not an adaptation of the anime version specifically. This is especially obvious in cases where the live action predates the anime such as Nodame Cantabile and Antique Bakery. And this list would be quite a bit longer if there wasn't the caveat that there also be an anime version, since there's been a lot of great manga/novel adaptations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
3,7,8,10,12,14,16,17,18,19, and 20 are among my favorite animes. 20 and whatever # Jojo was I wouldnt think would work so well but the rest i wouldnt mind seeing. Gundam would have to have some serious money behind it to stop it from being cheesy.

My favorite that I've seen (Kenshin not yet) was Nodame live actions. so good
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked that SNAFU ranked so high, and it could be awesome if they could nail the casting of Hachiman and Yukinoshita. For the same reason, it would be awful if they didn't.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Dammit for a second I thought there was more Gintama episodes coming out.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of One Piece and love the series, but I honestly don't think it's something that would adapt well to live action. You'd have a better chance at a decent Dragon Ball movie.

There's a number of these I think could work well, I'd love to see the visual effects they'd put into Haruhi with things like the Closed Space or Nagato vs. Asakura.
wiitard119

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Yahari (SNAFU) seems like the easiest to do out of all those tbh and probably be made really well with the lowest budget
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah these are indeed surprising. Also I'm glad Nodame Cantabile is mention, because the K-drama remake is coming out soon, Dramafever has announced they'll do a simulcast, I don't know if KBS World will show it on their channel or on their Youtube channel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
MACROSS?!

Question Exclamation It's CGI'ed already. Pacific Rim style it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2