• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toei's Spider-Man, Leopardon Robot Join the Spider-Verse in Amazing Spider-Man #12

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
That's all well and good, but can we get a salaryman take on J. Jonah Jameson, next? Wink
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh my goodness, this is awesome to see and hear. Never thought I would see Toei Spiderman making an appearance in a Marvel comic book. Very Happy

ANN wrote:
Marvel.com streamed the series at one time, but unfortunately it isn't available anymore (the episodes are listed in the video section, but clicking on them yields an error).

Oh man, it's no longer there. Sad That's mean I can't watch it (and finish it anymore). Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
What made Marvel remove all the episodes? Confused Legality issues? Or perhaps Marvel thought the show didn't receive enough popularity to let them stay up?
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Uh, toku-Spider-Man is what inspired the Super Sentai franchise (before Gorenger and JAKQ were added) which is where Power Rangers came from. If anything it should be a comparison of Kamen Rider and a giant robot toku at the time like Giant Robo or Red Baron.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
What made Marvel remove all the episodes? Confused Legality issues? Or perhaps Marvel thought the show didn't receive enough popularity to let them stay up?

I hoped that maybe, just maybe, Marvel would release the toku Spider-Man on DVD, even if only as a limited release. Sadly, that never happened & now it's not available legally at all anymore.

Nice to see it showcased in the actual comics, however.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

We may never know why it got removed. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Sony's holding up the rights.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Oh my goodness, this is awesome to see and hear. Never thought I would see Toei Spiderman making an appearance in a Marvel comic book. Very Happy

I agree 100%. I always found Japanese Spider-Man to be endlessly amusing and an excellent conversation starter, but I never thought anyone cared enough for that version of Spider-Man to be put into an American comic book.

Or that Japanese Spider-Man was something Marvel would rather forget.

Very cool that the writer knew the material too! American comic book writing is usually fifty alpha personalities clashing with each other, everyone attempting to retcon each other. Acknowledging something obscure like this is a breath of fresh air.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Very cool that the writer knew the material too! American comic book writing is usually fifty alpha personalities clashing with each other, everyone attempting to retcon each other. Acknowledging something obscure like this is a breath of fresh air.

To be fair, it's a story arc that requires every personal take on Spiderman to be acknowledged so I wouldn't give them too much credit.

Emerje
oblivious247

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I wonder if Sony's holding up the rights.

Nuh Marvel/Disney negotiated the TV rights back a few years ago.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
Streaming rights don't last forever they likely licensed it from
Toei and I can only guess the expired, marvel might just be to lazy and blocked asses instead of deleting the pages
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Or that Japanese Spider-Man was something Marvel would rather forget.

I don't think so, when Marvel uploaded the trailer for that show on YT, it got a lot of views, so I say it got it's own fanbase.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I watched the entire series when the streams were still available, and I loved seeing Leopardon in a Marvel comic. Yeah yeah yeah, wow!
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
http://marvel.com/news/comics/23916/japanese_spiderman_rocks_spider-verse_returns_to_marvelcom

Toku Spidey is back on Marvel.com! Also Dan Slott confirmed for being based. Cool
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
http://marvel.com/news/comics/23916/japanese_spiderman_rocks_spider-verse_returns_to_marvelcom

Toku Spidey is back on Marvel.com! Also Dan Slott confirmed for being based. Cool

I can't believe it, it's back. Shocked

That means I can finish watching the show again. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2