• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica/Fate/Durarara Creators' RPG Project Inspire Chaos Dragon Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:19 am Reply with quote
That's quite the noticeable list of writers there...

Hopef it can live up to the hype with what it has to work with. This Summer seems to lean a bit on these game adaptations recently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
I heard about this project a few years ago and know that Nasu and Urobochi have been contributing since the start. I didn't expect it to get an anime adaptation though, so either it's very good in its mixture of the strengths of all 5 writers or terrible in being a mismash of lots of things without really standing out.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I heard about this project a few years ago and know that Nasu and Urobochi have been contributing since the start. I didn't expect it to get an anime adaptation though, so either it's very good in its mixture of the strengths of all 5 writers or terrible in being a mismash of lots of things without really standing out.

Even having 1 writer can be good or bad. However, that many writers would require skill to balance them out to make sure one doesn't get too much credit that they hog the glory from the other 4.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote
Considering the whole premise was 5 writers sitting down and creating their own characters for a tabletop RPG, it might be easier to integrate their contributions than at first glance since the characterisation is fixed by the contributors but not the plot and storyline.
konqueror

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:30 am Reply with quote
I first read about this in 2011-12 and thought: "neat".

Silver Link as always risking the adaptations trying to find a big hit, and I like their attitude. Good luck.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
The character designs reminiscent those of DOTA 2 (unsurprisingly, since both games are quite similar). But as mentioned earlier, having a lot of big names does not equal a good project.

I hope it won't affect any of Silver Link's other upcoming projects: Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz! (Summer 2015), Non Non Biyori Repeat (maybe 2015, but no concrete information yet), Ore ga Ojou-sama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" Toshite Gets♥Sareta Ken (2015, possibly Summer) and Tai-Madō Gakuen 35 Shiken Shōtai (also possibly in 2015, but no concrete information yet).

Side-note: Tai-Madō Gakuen 35 Shiken Shōtai will be animated by Silver Link, but it isn't shown on the studio's encyclopedia page. In fact, the anime itself doesn't have an entry on the site.
kpk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Wait so these writers AREN'T writing the seires what was their part in making it?

I mean I get they've made up characters and stuff and played with them D&D style but how will the writer will make this into an anime series?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Wait so these writers AREN'T writing the seires what was their part in making it?

I mean I get they've made up characters and stuff and played with them D&D style but how will the writer will make this into an anime series?

From the article:

"The project is based on Red Dragon, the "role-playing fiction" story born from the "table talk role-playing game" sessions by five prominent anime, game, and art creators."

"Each participant created a character to guide through six nights of tabletop role-playing game sessions devised by "fiction master" Makoto Sanda (Rental Magica)."

So my initial assumption was wrong (as is the person I quoted). There's only one writer (Makoto Sanda) involving characters created by five other well-known fiction writers and artists.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

You know the answer: they're played with them, with their own style.
If Silver Link animated the plot based on their playstyle and results of game session - yep, that's will be a real contribution.

Quote:
There's only one writer (Makoto Sanda) involving characters created by five other well-known fiction writers and artists.

No-no-no. Makoto Sanda is the DM of this session, not a writer.
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
It's similar to what happened with the Record of Lodoss War, where Sanda was also involved. They created characters, played with them in a series of role-playing sessions, developed their personalities and the nature of the world, and then they transcribed what they played into novel format.

Which is a pretty neat idea. I hope the end result is as great as the names involved make it out to be.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

No-no-no. Makoto Sanda is the DM of this session, not a writer.

Article still credits him with the world setting, it's still one writer (with assistance from one collaborator) for the anime series itself.

Series script: Ukyo Koudachi (which I assume is the person responsible for doing the plot and storyline for this series)
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't sound too bad, but we're going to have to wait until the visuals get released to say anything more.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Is it too soon to be hopeful for another Lodoss War? That OAV (and its subsequent adaptations) was born through a similar method.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Automatic watch for me.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm the top staff seems like Aniplex regulars, but I haven't seen Silver Link animate an Aniplex series so.... Looks like it says Toho in the video. This seems interesting but since I don't play tabletop RPGs all this talk about scenario and who creates what is confusing me. I may check this out, although I was expecting something different when they mentioned Cold War.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2