• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses Irregular at Magic High School Light Novels, Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Will be interesting to read the source material to see what the anime skipped. Hopefully this is also a sign that Aniplex will have to dub Mahouka if and when they announce home video rights.

Very excited to read about Tatsuya's OPness in print.
DjAlmostFive

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Have still only seen the first 8 episodes of the anime, but I think that it's been awesome so far. And from what I hear, the books are superior to the anime. So I'll definitely check this out. Smile
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess those who wondered how much of the show's Objectivist outlook came from the source material will finally be able to find out for themselves.

I can't say I'm pleased, as this and SAO indicate that the trend in North American LN publishing is "generic fantasy harem otaku wish-fulfillment series."
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
Well, I guess those who wondered how much of the show's Objectivist outlook came from the source material will finally be able to find out for themselves.

I can't say I'm pleased, as this and SAO indicate that the trend in North American LN publishing is "generic fantasy harem otaku wish-fulfillment series."

it is not really a trend they just license the most popular series mahouka was and is very popular same for sao as well
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy So excited for this, already finished reading all the volumes but it always feel better to have a physical copy!
Infistratos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
looking forward to this, in regards to the anime, i hope a release is announced soon dub or no dub; i'm either way because hearing miyuki say big brother all the time in English would be annoying as it doesn't sound so bad in Japanese.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
This made my day Very Happy I love the series for the fact that it is such a unrepentantly transparent wish fulfillment fantasy. Can't wait to see what manga they've gone with.

I've never really gotten the accusations of the series being "objectvist." As the latter half of the Anime pretty much guts whatever could be thought of as promoting that philosophy in my humble opinion.
Hobbiton Guard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite excited for these releases. The source material is pretty awesome, and a lot better paced in places than the anime, so it'll be great to finally be able to share that with other people; especially seeing as the series is on Netflix.

Yen Press has been knocking it out of the park with LN licenses. This, Durarara, Log Horizon, Kagerou Daze, Black Bullet, etc. They've gotten so many great ones coming. Hopefully this does well for them so that we can keep receiving more of these novel series.
Uokel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
welp need to download all the PDF's of the translated volumes now cause it will be a few years before they can even catch up to the fan translations >.>
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I guess this gives people another chance to properly judge this series, I mean, given the nature of anime adaptation which you have to cram lots of materials into a 24-min episode, it is understandable for cuts, especially a novel series like this one.

If you are a fan of this series' magic mechanic, then you might find the novel version much appealing due to abundant explanation (as a graduate student of civil and environmental engineering, I do think the pseduo-science in Mahouka pretty well-thought)

If you think the anime version is boring, dialogue-heavy, exposition-heavy. etc, I am afraid the novel version might not be your thing either. Because you do need ample patience to fully enjoy this series (this is definitely not for everyone Anime hyper)

PS: 15 volumes already released (I just helped translated the 15th volume in Chinese and Korean recently), and 16th volume will due this fall. It might take awful long time for Yen Press to catch up.

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uokel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I guess this gives people another chance to properly judge this series, I mean, given the nature of anime adaptation which you have to cram lots of materials into a 24-min episode, it is understandable for cuts, especially a novel series like this one.

If you are a fan of this series' magic mechanic, then you might find the novel version much appealing due to abundant explanation (as a graduate student of civil and environmental engineering, I do think the pseduo-science in Mahouka pretty well-thought)

If you think the anime version is boring, dialogue-heavy, exposition-heavy. etc, I am afraid the novel version might not be your thing either. Because you do need ample patience to fully enjoy this series (this is definitely not for everyone Anime hyper)

PS: 15 volumes already released (I just helped translated the 15th volume in Chinese and Korean recently), and 16th volume will due this fall. Tt might take awful long time for Yen Press to catch up.

Yup and that's the annoying thing as I really enjoy the light novel and unless I find some people continuing the translations I'll Have to wait a few years before I can get back to where I was which sucks.
SteveUzumaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
This is some of the best news I've heard all day! Really looking forward to checking this out once it's released.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
While I watched and liked the series, it wasn't something I actively loved. But I am glad it's getting a release! This goes to show that there is a market for light novels and I hope we keep getting more! *coughChaikacough*
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely fantastic. By quite the distance my anime of the year last year even with the, shall I say, less than stellar adaptation. Just shows the strength of the source material really.

Cannot wait for these to start releasing. Yen Press right up there with Seven Seas for best publisher in English speaking countries.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Love Yen Press.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5