• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Animator Expo Streams Yūhei Sakuragi's 'Neon Genesis Impacts' Short

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partysensei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
I liked it a lot
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
I somehow bursted out laughing when they decided to spoiler[kiss]. The director of this film must have done Yuri before. But it was very well done.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
K-on Genesis Evangelion
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
This is the first time I've seen CG character animation incorporated into 2D static environments with such skill. In particular, I liked the animation style and technique this short was able to pull off. I also enjoyed the NGE + School Idol + SOL setting.

I wonder if the SOL + School Idol + ______ formula is where all the cutting-edge animation studios are now heading to. It would make sense considering all the technology available today that provides the viewer with an immersive experience.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Yuri idols! Cool

But seriously, I wonder if they ever thought of doing more vignettes of the regular people trying to live their lives in the world of Evangelion. Though most of them will probably be bittersweet so that could get repetitive.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
This is the first time I've seen CG character animation incorporated into 2D static environments with such skill. In particular, I liked the animation style and technique this short was able to pull off.

That's all that I was thinking throughout this entire video. The CG in this was so well integrated that it was hard to pick out at times. And actually proved that it can be superior than 2D in some ways. The way they were able to animate the movements of everyone simultaneously, made it feel extremely realistic feeling as well. No static shots of characters really at all. But yeah, this was extremely impressive from a technical stand-point. I wonder if most people could even tell that it was CG.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry I doubted this! It pulled through with being Evangelion after all. Nope, cute idols have no place in an apocalyptic psychological story, sadly enough for them. And that's the point.

Just as kids wouldn't enjoy piloting robots, kids doing other "anime" activities would also be hurt in the setting of Evangelion.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Dat Ending...
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Yūhei Sakuragi: Anno, please, I can't take it anymore! Class-S & a cynical we know what they don't twist with tweeny bopper girls? That's just cruel!

Anno: You wanna work in this town again? Then you get down there & emotionally manipulate EVA fans into giving me more of their money until I say you can stop!
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
I would watch a full anime series of this. An anime about the normal people of Tokyo-3 living through the constant angel attacks would be interesting.

haha Yuri kiss....and they're middle schoolers. How am I supposed to feel about this?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1