• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Robert Rodriguez in Talks to Direct Cameron's Live-Action Battle Angel Alita Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I watched el mariachi, it's an amazing 10k usd movie
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not Cameron's film if Shark Boy Rodriguez films it. His stuff can be alright, but I'd rather not see him handle this.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Use it or drop it, as long as this title (and its rights) are getting out of the development hell.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
So if Rodriguez directs what would Cameron be doing? Producing? Script? Does it still count as a Cameron movie? Not that I care either way because this is never going to happen and I don't care that much about James Cameron in general, but I'm curious
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, it's not Cameron's film if Shark Boy Rodriguez films it. His stuff can be alright, but I'd rather not see him handle this.

Agreed. El Mariachi and From Dusk Till Dawn are amazing movies. Sin City is okay... But the thing is, all of those are over-the-top-ridiculous. As are all of his good movies. They don't take themselves seriously.

Battle Angel on the other hand is a franchise that takes itself seriously. My biggest fear is that Rodriguez will bring that same style to Battle Angel.

I was really hoping for something similar to a modern Terminator from Cameron for this project. That would be the right style.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
So if Rodriguez directs what would Cameron be doing? Producing? Script? Does it still count as a Cameron movie? Not that I care either way because this is never going to happen and I don't care that much about James Cameron in general, but I'm curious

I would think that as long as James Cameron is involved in some capacity with the project, it will have his name publicly attached to it, because for quite a lot of people Cameron's "name" (read: fame/appeal) holds more weight than Robert Rodriguez's. The 2011 movie Sanctum had Cameron's name in a highly-visible place on the poster, despite being the executive producer of the film, while Alister Grierson's name (the director) was buried in the credit blob at the bottom of the poster.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

I would think that as long as James Cameron is involved in some capacity with the project, it will have his name publicly attached to it, because for quite a lot of people Cameron's "name" (read: fame/appeal) holds more weight than Robert Rodriguez's. The 2011 movie Sanctum had Cameron's name in a highly-visible place on the poster, despite being the writer & producer of the film, while Alister Grierson's name (the director), was buried in the credit blob at the bottom of the poster.

I just read an article on another site (forgot which, and can't find it in my history) that said that Cameron is still producer, and that Rodriguez would be starting with Cameron's existing script.
DragonSpikeXIII

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
After Avatar's success and Cameron's commitment to THREE more sequels it was clear he'd never get around to actually directing Alita but NOo please, not Rodriguez!

Dammit Jim, why didn't you pick Alita over Avatar ten years ago...
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
The studio got just as tired of waiting for James Cameron as we were. At least we know the movie will still be in competent hands. Expect a Danny Trejo cameo somewhere.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I read this article on Variety. Ignoring that James Cameron has been singing and dancing about this movie for longer than I've known anime to exist, because that's a thing, the story behind Gunm/Battle Angel Alita is described as "a young woman's search for meaning and love".

I've never seen BAA, but... wasn't this a sci-fi story about a robot-girl with an arm-blade?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
By now, give it up because it's people have been waiting so long. Just concentrate on the next Avatar movie.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
The guy who wrote Predators? Nope, I'm not having any Battle Angel Alita if his name is attached to it at all.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
No, please, just no.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
By now, give it up because it's people have been waiting so long. Just concentrate on the next Avatar movie.

That's exactly what he is doing
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Not what I'd expect Robert Rodriguez to direct (he hasn't really directed anything truly sci-fi aside from the kids movies) but he's one of my favorite directors, so I'll definitely watch. Machete better make a cameo. I wonder if he'll film it in Mexico. It worked for Elysium. (I've never seen Battle Angel though, so I don't know how dystopic it is.) And hopefully he's still doing that new Heavy Metal movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3