• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers Interview with Director Takahashi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
So, does that Limited Special Episode storyboard set come in a hardcover book, or what? I am actually interested in that!!

On another note, in reference to all of the Pony Canyon releases thus far, the reason that I don't really plan on buying any more of them, outside of Euphonium(hopefully released before they croak), is that, outside of the pre-order exclusive storyboards and key animation, they are really lame sets. And when those pre-order extras literally just come in a paper folder, they are really awkward to store. I have my YuYuYu extras just sitting under a stack of work documents on my desk right now.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Hmm, how many original key frame arts are there for a 1 cour show like this?

Your usual anime episode has 200-300 cuts, but not every cut is going to have a keyframe drawn for it, and some might have more than 1 drawn for it (or like, partial frame keyframes)... with 12 episodes maybe 2000 or so?
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
So that's why the anime director chose the Aztec/Maya setting for the anime.
The anime setting works here given the source light novels had a very vague description of the world's setting (unlike others which specifically describe a (typically) Euro-fantasy world which the directors can't deviate from too easily.)

Plus, it gives some extra exoticism to the setting. The manga version of Rokka uses a Euro-fantasy setting that just looks...typical.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Man, they were really passionate about this show, which makes it all the more tragic that it sold as terribly as it did.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
As a forward to a series this was a good show. As a stand-alone project it is severely lacking. The only extra that would have induced me to buy it would be the guarantee that the entire novel series would be issued here in English and in print. Absent that, it is remains a source of frustration.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Man, they were really passionate about this show, which makes it all the more tragic that it sold as terribly as it did.

That bad, huh. So there definitely won't be any more? Sad

If they ever sell it for a reasonable price and fix all the crappy animation in the broadcast version, I might pick it up anyway, but at $20 an episode, bank sez no.
Yerld

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

From a high level anyway. The production itself was a mess (which doesn't quite destroy the experience but might make one think twice about spending a lot of money on it), which is quite a shame.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The only extra that would have induced me to buy it would be the guarantee that the entire novel series would be issued here in English and in print. Absent that, it is remains a source of frustration.

While I'd definitely be in for the novel series, I still enjoyed this show enough to want to buy it. The thing stopping me is the price and the AUD at the moment.

Unsure if this will be licensed here, as the shows that PonyCan USA have grabbed haven't been licensed in Australia. Well, aside from that magic boys show (forgotten the name). But, that was licensed in Dec 2014, which was when PCUSA was still kind of gaining its footing.

So, almost a year has passed, and in all that time no other series that PCUSA has grabbed has also been grabbed by an Australian company.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If they ever sell it for a reasonable price and fix all the crappy animation in the broadcast version, I might pick it up anyway, but at $20 an episode, bank sez no.

They're supposedly doing standard DVD and blu-ray releases alongside the Collector's edition, if that helps at all.

Speaking of which, these editions seem to have been pulled from rightstuf, the links on Rokka's site lead to listings that don't exist. I hope this is just a temporary thing and not them quietly sweeping the more affordable options under the rug.
PsFreedom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Anyone here know if they already fixed crappy animation scene in TV version ?

Like some comparison thread ?

I understand the price since it's premium for collector and it's cheaper already compare to original JP release.

I do have some JP import BD. I know the pain. T-T
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
pisacha.srinuan wrote:
Anyone here know if they already fixed crappy animation scene in TV version ?

Like some comparison thread ?

I understand the price since it's premium for collector and it's cheaper already compare to original JP release.

I do have some JP import BD. I know the pain. T-T

I'll be keeping my eyes out for Comparison shots, but I sort of doubt they will be able to do enough touch ups to fix many of the problems within the show.
Scars Unseen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
So, does that Limited Special Episode storyboard set come in a hardcover book, or what? I am actually interested in that!!

I'm assuming it's the same as the one that came with the first Japanese BD, which I bought. If so, it's not hardcover, but it is pretty cool.

For those interested, I do plan on posting comparison shots of TV vs BD once I can pick up a BluRay drive for my PC. I need to go to the dentist and get a toothache taken care of first, so it depends on how much that costs. With luck, I'll be able to post in the next week. If not... we'll see.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:14 am Reply with quote
Scars Unseen wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

I'm assuming it's the same as the one that came with the first Japanese BD, which I bought. If so, it's not hardcover, but it is pretty cool.

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of that storyboard collection for me? That would be awesome. Very Happy
Scars Unseen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Scars Unseen wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of that storyboard collection for me? That would be awesome. Very Happy

Unfortunately, I don't have a camera worth mentioning. I did scan everything else that came with the Japanese BD 1, but the Storyboard book is Perfect Bound, and I didn't want to mess it up.

The scans I did take of the other stuff (including the cover of the storyboard book) can be found here.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
I posted this already in the retail section, but as it's related, I'll put it here as well.

Shawne Kleckner confirmed today that the standard edition DVD and bluray releases for Rokka have been canceled:

https://twitter.com/shawnekleckner/status/663738883113283584
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2