• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CLAMP Draws New Art for Chobits' Blu-ray Box Set

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The box set marks the first time the series has been released on Blu-ray.

The... first time on Blu-ray? Wink
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
Posts like this always make me feel old. Hard to believe it was only 2 years old when I saw it.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote
maybe they mean first time in japan
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
I'll always remember Chobits fondly to an extent, as it was the first "adult" manga that I read. I was about 11 when I got my hands on a copy, and both got the fun of "I'm not supposed to be reading this," coupled with a genuinely good, fun, and occasionally heart-wrenching series.

That said, there's something about it now that I'm way older and a lot more critical that just rubs me the wrong way. There's a whole level of creepy skeeviness with the whole set-up, and the Chii/Hideki dynamic is fundamentally messed-up if you think about it for more than a second. Despite having less fan service than a lot of series out there, it feels like one of the most weirdly voyeuristic and creepy shows I've watched. That goes double for the manga.

Basically, Erin Finnegan (wonder what she's up to these days!) nailed it in her Shelf Life write-up of the series back in 2011: creepy, dated, and pretty sexist.

Nice artistry and music, though. Also loved the dub cast.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote
Such a beautiful box set. Loved the series and dub and would love to import this but sadly I'm sure it wouldn't include English subs let alone the dub that I enjoyed.
Animepokegirl89

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
creepy, dated, and pretty sexist.

How is Chobits any of that? Watched the Anime and read the Manga. Huge fan of the series. (Favorite series of all time.)

Last edited by Animepokegirl89 on Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

My guess is that it's a proper HD scan instead of the terrible DVD upscale thrown at us years back.
Azumi14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:54 am Reply with quote
Got the US Blu Ray and I read the Manga. Manga was great. Blu Ray is blurry. I hope they release this edition in the US. Chi and Hideki were a good couple. As for not having kids - there are a lot of girls who cannot have children. The anime made me laugh and cry. I will fork out the cash for this if I can get this version.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:02 am Reply with quote
I don't believe Chobits is creepy, dated, or sexist. Kinda hard to debate it as well when the only justification given above is essentially "it just is". The great thing about opinions, is that you don't have to agree with them to respect them. While I don't agree, I can respect it, because people can take things different ways. Sadly, it seems Apollo-kun doesn't understand this, and decides to phrase his opinion as if it is fact. I have hope that he'll improve in this regard eventually though.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:

My guess is that it's a proper HD scan instead of the terrible DVD upscale thrown at us years back.
You can't get an HD scan of this show, that's not possible for shows digitally-animated in SD. When something is animated digitally, it's forever locked in that resolution. To actually make it HD, they'd have to reanimate the entire show. The best you can get is them recompositing it. Some examples of that: Elfen Lied, Gurren Lagann, Working!!, Kannagi

This is probably going to be an upscale, and potentially re-using FUNimation's upscale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
I don't believe Chobits is creepy, dated, or sexist. Kinda hard to debate it as well when the only justification given above is essentially "it just is". The great thing about opinions, is that you don't have to agree with them to respect them. While I don't agree, I can respect it, because people can take things different ways. Sadly, it seems Apollo-kun doesn't understand this, and decides to phrase his opinion as if it is fact. I have hope that he'll improve in this regard eventually though.

I think the biggest reason that the manga AND anime is vaguely unsettling is because we don't really get to learn whether the personcons are fully sentinent. Sure, they go into it, but outside of Chii, there is a certain sense of the personcoms being make-yourself-a-perfect-girl/boyfriend robots for people. For this manga/show to be completely off the hook, it has to convince the audience that every single personcom -- not only Chii -- can make this decision, at the VERY least when it comes to falling in love and starting a relationship.

Not helping the case is the manga and anime having two different approaches to the same ending. In the manga spoiler[Chii never started her program, since it was meant to be used if Hideki failed his "I love Chii" relationship test] while in the anime spoiler[Chii DID start her program, which... did what? Made all the personcoms able to fall in love/be sentinent/whatever? Made their eyes weird out for a little while? What?!]
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
I was all over this until I saw the price tag...here's hoping it gets a more reasonably priced US release. I can't bring myself to spend more than 100 on a 24 episode series.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:

Can't be, Chobits isn't an analog anime.

Anyway, I remember Chobits to be a somewhat interesting anime that turned dull. Didn't Chii read that book for like 3 episode straight? I could barely tolerate the pace by the end and that was during my first 'consume everything' phase.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
@ Northlander

That was my problem with the show. Basically spoiler[picking "robots" over people.] Not an overall good message for me to accept.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
Not to pick a fight (I'll ignore the patronizing "he doesn't understand this,") but you do understand that when somebody says something on the internet, about a piece of media especially, that it's automatically their opinion, correct?

For example, your opinion is that I can't differentiate opinion from fact, and your opinion is that Chobits isn't sexist. Sweet! My opinion doesn't align with yours.

I mean, if you want, I could go into a multi-paragraph breakdown of all the different elements of the manga (which I've read approximately 13-14 times,) or the anime (which I watched a few years ago,) discussing why I think they're sort of "ick," using analytical lenses to defend my position, and give you a nice thesis statement that I defend about it.

But considering this is the comment section of Anime News Network, it's hardly the appropriate place, nor do I really think you'd even care to read it.

When somebody states something is X thing, that's automatically an opinion. I don't have to say "in my opinion." I don't have to say "personally speaking." I'm not an objective paragon of rational thinking. I'm a person with subjective modes of thought and takes on thing. If you can't understand that, then I think you've got a bigger problem that disagreeing with my take on an anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2