• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Shirobako Part 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Great review of Shirobako Paul.

Paul Jensen wrote:
The large cast may give us a chance to see every part of the industry, but it also means that the early episodes are burdened by a huge amount of information. Until the audience gets up to speed and figures out who everyone is, it can be tough to make much of an emotional investment in the story.

I will say that this is true of any story with a large cast. You have to watch several episodes to start caring.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Shirobako is just an absolute joy. It's entertaining, enjoyable, emotional, and informational. It's literally everything I look for in my fiction. It's my favorite original anime of the last few years, easily.

But I didn't truly fall in love with the series until after the first few episodes. So I can concur with that statement.

Now I just have to wait, and/or cry until there's a second season. Which is likely especially since it was initially going to be 4 cour.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Now I just have to wait, and/or cry until there's a second season. Which is likely especially since it was initially going to be 4 cour.

I would welcome more Shirobako, but I am very satisfied with the two cours we have. And where did you hear that it was initially going to be 4 cours? I was not aware of that.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Finally have Free! ES in my possession after what feels like a year of waiting...(Though in checking my email confirmation, we're about 4.5 months shy of that)

I really need to watch Shirobako from what I've been hearing.
Mysteriala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Shirobako is one of those shows that you can keep watching again and again and keep finding new nuance and layers to it. At first it moves a bit too fast to follow and there are too many characters too keep track of. By the end of the series these problems dissappear and you can go back to those early episodes to find that they are just as rich as the later ones.

Many shows tend to go light on the first episodes and then run into time problems later on. Shirobako does not suffer from this and has an impressive and fully-realized story.

All that to say: I really like this show Smile
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
Finally have Free! ES in my possession after what feels like a year of waiting...(Though in checking my email confirmation, we're about 4.5 months shy of that)

*Highfive* According to the tracking code Funi sent, my "For the Future" set is due tomorrow.

I assume that Eternal Summer will receive a review this week so, looking forward to that. After watching the OVA dub at Katsucon, I can tolerate the English dub more than previously.

At first, I was worried Shirobako was just another super cute show about teens at an otaku club but, thank goodness that was only the first 10 minutes. Looking back, the first 13 episodes was more educational on the specific roles or duties in the animation studio than entertaining. Some of the workplace drama like episode 5 with the 3D animator vs. the 2D SPX animator or Misa moving on from SMC in episode 10 were the highlights for me.

My only disappointment with Sentai's release is how bare bones it is. I have the DVD version but, I would have paid more if the series was given a Collector's Edition in the same vein as No Game No Life or Akame Ga Kill. Sure it wasn't super popular in the West but, I find the content so important that some extra goodies would have been nice.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Dont forget Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works! is also available in all its glory on Netflix. Subbed and Dubbed along with Fate Zero so you can watch both Very Happy
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
My copy of Shirobako is scheduled to arrive today from Amazon. I think it's the first show I've bought on physical media since Shin Sekai Yori. I liked how the show was generally cheery but didn't scrimp when it came to depicting the challenges newcomers face breaking into the business. Like Paul I also had warm feelings for the older characters in the story like the animator he mentions and the studio's president. It's rare to see people over fifty in anime at all, much less depicted sympathetically. Even if you're not into the minutiae of anime productions, if you like workplace slice-of-life stories, you're sure to enjoy Shirobako.

I also recall thinking it took a bit of time to get going, though when I watched the show a second time at Crunchyroll I enjoyed the opening episodes more.

Shirobako just won the award for Best TV Series of 2015 from the folks who frequent the forums at AnimeSuki.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Shirobako is just an absolute joy. It's entertaining, enjoyable, emotional, and informational. It's literally everything I look for in my fiction. It's my favorite original anime of the last few years, easily.

But I didn't truly fall in love with the series until after the first few episodes. So I can concur with that statement.

All of this.

I'd be hard-pressed to name any of the characters, but I thoroughly enjoyed this series and hope very much for a 2nd season.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Shirobako really just hamstring itself by starting with the school setting in episode 1 and then having a time jump for episode 2 to restart with an almost entirely different cast. So much so that I would recommend people start with episode 2 and go back to episode 1 much later, none of the character introduced in 1 are even relevant for the first episode anyway.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Shirobako really just hamstring itself by starting with the school setting in episode 1 and then having a time jump for episode 2 to restart with an almost entirely different cast. So much so that I would recommend people start with episode 2 and go back to episode 1 much later, none of the character introduced in 1 are even relevant for the first episode anyway.

The high school part of the first episode of Shirobako is 5 minutes long. The time jump occurs before the opening credits even run. If you skip the first episode you miss all of the important character introductions for the entire series.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:

The high school part of the first episode of Shirobako is 5 minutes long. The time jump occurs before the opening credits even run. If you skip the first episode you miss all of the important character introductions for the entire series.

Oh I guess I'm misremembering it then, was under the impression it lasted the entire episode with them making it and screening it. My bad disregard what I said.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

I assume that Eternal Summer will receive a review this week so, looking forward to that. After watching the OVA dub at Katsucon, I can tolerate the English dub more than previously.

We had a delay with our Funimation screener material that's being fixed now - our reviews of these will go up as soon as we have 'em.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Paul Jensen wrote:
Until the audience gets up to speed and figures out who everyone is, it can be tough to make much of an emotional investment in the story.

Yep, and that's why I dropped this series. I gave it more of a chance than other series have gotten, meaning that I watched over 3 episodes.

Didn't find any connection to the characters, which mean that the troubles they faced, well, they fell flat for me.

Usually, 3 episodes is a quarter of the way through a series. And, if I'm not caring about the characters by a quarter of the way through, then I never will. This is from experience of sitting through anime, expecting it to come good.

So, I ended up dropping this one during episode 6. The only other anime I've sat through more episodes of, without really enjoying it, was Euphonium...and I kind of enjoyed the final 4 episodes of that series. But, it's a series that just ended up being good enough.

Don't want to sit through 18 episodes to find out of Shirobako is another that'd be good enough.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
Dont forget Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works! is also available in all its glory on Netflix. Subbed and Dubbed along with Fate Zero so you can watch both Very Happy

As a follow up, the version of Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works on Netflix is NOT the blu-ray version. It still has all the scene darkening from when it originally aired. And it does not include the extra scenes that the blu-ray release has.

The version of Fate/Zero on Netflix, however, IS the same the blu-ray version and does include extra scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2