• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: D.Gray-man Hallow

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Really nice to see D Gray Man again after all these years. I watched the show years ago and been following the manga's irregular releases so it was also a bit of a surprise to see it getting another season. (wish it was 2 cour though)

Meanwhile, I think they are doing a decent job at adapting the manga even with some original content added in. Just the sense of nostalgia brings an unique feeling about this series. I'm not really sold on the voice acting though in particular with Allen so might have to get used to that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I've definitely enjoyed the first three episodes of Hallow so far despite the rushed pacing and the new VAs. It still feels like D.Gray-man and considering it's a second series I never expected to get, I'm savoring every second of it. I just hope this 13 episode "Test run" does well enough to convince them to return to do future seasons. Not even being two cour for the sequel to a 103 episode anime seems more like a tease than anything else.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I love Allen's new Japanese voice. I never really liked his original...
Lavi on the other hand is so weird. I know Lavi by Kenichi Suzumuraso hearing him with a new voice that I can't recognize is rather off-putting.
tsvkkis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
I am just really excited that we're getting Alma and Wisely animated. Very Happy
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
I'm honestly happy about the updated character designs especially - they look super clean and really cool to me.

I also prefer a breakneck pace over the previous stretched-out plodding one the previous anime took. Yeah, it could probably slow down a bit to let some emotional beats land, but overall, I am very entertained. To me, this is an improvement over the old anime. Very Happy
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:36 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
Lavi on the other hand is so weird. I know Lavi by Kenichi Suzumuraso hearing him with a new voice that I can't recognize is rather off-putting.

On that point, I'm with you. Suzumura Ken'ichi's Lavi had a gruffiness aspect that helped to sell the idea that Lavi has seen some things. Hanae Natsuki's Lavi, however is sounding a bit off-character. Maybe I'm projecting Hanae's previous roles thus far into this version of Lavi, but his take on Lavi sounds cheerful, and that's takes me out of the moment, given Lavi's development up to that point.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
It still feels like D.Gray-man and considering it's a second series I never expected to get, I'm savoring every second of it. I just hope this 13 episode "Test run" does well enough to convince them to return to do future seasons. Not even being two cour for the sequel to a 103 episode anime seems more like a tease than anything else.

As much as I hate it being only 13 episodes, especially with how long it's been, there really isn't too much to adapt. The Phantom G arc (now done), Kanda's arc (which is what this series revolves around), and spoiler[ Apocryphos/ Searching for AW arc, which I don't think will be touched considering it's on going in the manga.]

Hopefully though, with Kanda's arc next, the pace will slow down. While I can understand the uper quick pacing these past few episodes, I hope it's not the same for the next arc. And I also hope the animation budget is also being saved a bit too.

And as for where the series could end, as cruel as I think it would be, it should bespoiler[when Allen decides to leave/escape the order, when Lenalee is crying for him to not leave, and he says the 'no matter what the order is my home' or something along those lines. If I can recall, that kinda marks the start of the 'Searching for AW/Allen Walker arc that is occuring right now. If not there, someplace before the current arc starts.]
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For Kanda, Takahiro Sakurai's hate and arrogance have been replaced with Takuya Satō's stoic indifference, which I'm not entirely on board with yet.

The new voices for Kanda and Lavi are what basically is not doing it for me. I love the rest of it, even Allen's new voice. Sakurai and Suzumura made those characters in my mind and uprooting them is not an easy thing.

Otherwise, I like what I've watched so far and my tear ducts and boxes of tissues are ready for what's coming.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
The new voices for Kanda and Lavi are what basically is not doing it for me. I love the rest of it, even Allen's new voice. Sakurai and Suzumura made those characters in my mind and uprooting them is not an easy thing.

I agree. Even though I'm aware of being biased for appreciating both of them well beyond D.Gray-man, it simply was a very well-cast series. There wasn't enough room to elaborate on every character, but Hameyadea is right. Lavi isn't all cheers and smiles, and Suzumura could joke around while still maintaining the mentioned gruffness, which was quite an integral part to his character.

- Anne
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:

I agree. Even though I'm aware of being biased for appreciating both of them well beyond D.Gray-man, it simply was a very well-cast series. There wasn't enough room to elaborate on every character, but Hameyadea is right. Lavi isn't all cheers and smiles, and Suzumura could joke around while still maintaining the mentioned gruffness, which was quite an integral part to his character.

- Anne

Well, since everybody is already "complaining" about the new voices, let me join: i'm definitely gonna miss Morikawa Toshiyuki the most since he made Tyki Mikk sound like sex on legs. I'm willing to give the new seiyuu a chance but i doubt anyone can top his performance.

But overall i'm just happy that we got more DGM because i for one certainly never expected this.

P.S.: i only just realized that you are the reviewer which is very cool, i've always appreciated your thoughtful comments. Smile
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 3 definitely felt it had been a better step in pacing in the series. Hope the next episodes follow this style
The American Average

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
after watching the 3 episodes, its almost clear to me that they just wanted to get through the Timothy arc just to get to the Alma Arc. I really hope they don't race through Alma's arc. I really want to see the "Search for A.W" arc animated but I don't want the Alma arc to suffer for it. they have 10 episodes to animate the alma arc thats more then plenty for that but 10 episodes of Alma, post Alma arc, and Search for AW? no way that can be condensed into 10 episodes without ruining something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I read the whole manga after the first series finished, then stopped when it hit a bunch of breaks (right after the next arc finished I believe). I don't recall exactly how many years ago that was but it was a while. I'm actually glad most of the details of the upcoming arcs are fuzzy in my memory as I'll be able to enjoy them again.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
after watching the 3 episodes, its almost clear to me that they just wanted to get through the Timothy arc just to get to the Alma Arc. I really hope they don't race through Alma's arc. I really want to see the "Search for A.W" arc animated but I don't want the Alma arc to suffer for it. they have 10 episodes to animate the alma arc thats more then plenty for that but 10 episodes of Alma, post Alma arc, and Search for AW? no way that can be condensed into 10 episodes without ruining something.

I don't think they'll do that, the Search for AW arc is not even finished in the manga, why would they try to animate it when they'd have to leave it hanging? Everything in the opening and ending points at this series being dedicated to the Alma arc.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Interesting the how Tyki is a foil to Allen. Also, Wisely said something about Tyki's similarities with someone which made Road make him to remain in silence. I believe Road's Noah memories are intact in contrast to what Earl says. Looking forward to more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5