• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, July 18-24 [2016-07-27]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuan_abdul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
One Piece Vol.82, another slow sales... -_-
But Vol.81 really have legs, managed to be on top 50 for 17 weeks...

Was Haikyuu and AssClass also sell lower than before???
Vongola Prim0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:37 am Reply with quote
I think the manga industry in general is seeing less and less sales every time.I don't know if it's cause more people are switching to just buying the magazines weekly and not the manga volumes or choosing to spend money on other stuff,but yeah the decrease in sale is real.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
It's clear that physical publishing has declined greatly in the last decade but what I still find impressive is that Bleach is still selling 350-400K copies per volume. It's been running for almost 15 years and has had it's up's and down's in regards to storyline, art, character development, etc. Bleach has a special place in my heart as it's the one of very few franchises that I started to read when it first was published in 2001 and watched every single episode of the anime when that premiered in 2004. Still remember when I entered college in 2004, first found out about BitTorrent and saw Bleach episode 1 released and saw all 300+ episodes of that show. Now looking forward to see how Kubo will wrap it all up in the next few months.
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
Vongola Prim0 wrote:
I think the manga industry in general is seeing less and less sales every time. The decrease in sale is real.

I have only noticed this with big series like One Piece, but everything else sells like always, no?
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
While BLEACH never just "went away," it is still kind of depressing that it takes four weeks to break 400k, when there are volumes of the Arrancar arc that debuted with 500k. The decline was real.

(Of course, I'm not fond of the revisionist history people like to make with when the decline really happened, etc.)
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
tuan_abdul wrote:
One Piece Vol.82, another slow sales...

Would over two million copies in four weeks be considered slow sales for anything other than One Piece?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
From a strictly One Piece perspective, 2,159k after 21 days is somewhere between... vol 57's 2,143k after 25 days and vol 59's 2,331k after 26 days. We're basically back down to the numbers right after Strong World hit theaters (December 2009). (source)

There's definitely a general decline across the board at the shounen magazine level; you can fiddle around with this and look at the numbers for different quarters. I haven't looked at other categories, but I would expect a downward trend throughout the print mag industry. I'm not willing to venture a hypothesis on correlating magazine decline to whichever way vol sales are trending. I would agree with the industry suffering from the increase in sheer number of ways to spend money.
tuan_abdul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
tuan_abdul wrote:
One Piece Vol.82, another slow sales...

Would over two million copies in four weeks be considered slow sales for anything other than One Piece?

If you compare it with another series, then of course, that was a very fast sales.
but if you compare it with One Piece's own standard, that was quiet slow...

But again, I dunno what happens, people said that SNK's sales also slow...
animelytical

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
The Seven Deadly Sins has fallen off a little bit. A shame
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1