• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. English Dub Clip Previews Joshua Seth as Tai

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, a sound for sore ears. Surprised
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
All these years later and the first line we get is "Ha"...
Joking of course, nice to hear him again, I've sadly only seen him in this, Akira and Wolf's Rain.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Ahh, a sound for sore ears. Surprised

Yessss! It's been too long since hearing that voice.
So good to hear Tai sound right Smile

MarshalBanana wrote:
Joking of course, nice to hear him again, I've sadly only seen him in this, Akira and Wolf's Rain.

Laughing

If you liked him in those, he was also fantastic as Dio in the original Last Exile.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

He also guest starred in an episode or two of Trigun. Small but important role, and he voices a villain!
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
The legend returns.

Is that the original music playing or is that english dub music?
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Great to have you back Joshua, even if it's just for the Digimon movies.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I just had a lot of feelings. Now I need to rewatch my childhood, brb.
peno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
The biggest question is, will they add stupid jokes again? Will they completely change music again? And how many cuts and paint edits we'll see? Seeing how this is obviously for older audience than the original Digimon series, it would be shame if it got the same treatment as the other Digimon series did.

Edit: OK, looking again on the dubbed clip and comparing it with the same part from subbed version, I can tell the music is kept. That's the good part. However, all those spoken parts from Tai aren't there in original. In Japanese, Taichi doesn't say a word in the whole part. He doesn't even scream, moan or pant there. That means that script will get adaptation similar to other Digimon dubs and that's sad for me.

Last edited by peno on Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
The biggest question is, will they add stupid jokes again? Will they completely change music again? And how many cuts and paint edits we'll see? Seeing how this is obviously for older audience than the original Digimon series, it would be shame if it got the same treatment as the other Digimon series did.

I agree. I was rather naive nor didn't know exactly much about dialogue and all, considering I was a young kid watching this anime. As the years went by and as I grew up a bit more, having a bit of interest in Japanese culture and learning some words and phrases and stuff, I realize now just how much the English dub of that anime sucks because of that stupid dialogue plus the edits.

Sadly, I say the same for Pokemon as well.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Edit: OK, looking again on the dubbed clip and comparing it with the same part from subbed version, I can tell the music is kept. That's the good part. However, all those spoken parts from Tai aren't there in original. In Japanese, Taichi doesn't say a word in the whole part. He doesn't even scream, moan or pant there. That means that script will get adaptation similar to other Digimon dubs and that's sad for me.

Not sure how not making any vocalizations during a moment of terror is an improvement over what the dub did here... if anything one of Tri's biggest weaknesses is having all the characters being completely silent during the battle scenes so the dub will be doing a favor in that regard.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that it'll be released on DVD WITH the Japanese dub + subs.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:

I love how people on the Internet need to only see 44 seconds of something before declaring something is horrible. Rolling Eyes
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Not sure how not making any vocalizations during a moment of terror is an improvement over what the dub did here... if anything one of Tri's biggest weaknesses is having all the characters being completely silent during the battle scenes so the dub will be doing a favor in that regard.

One of the dub's biggest problems was inserting dialog during silent scenes. Silence builds tension and sets the mood, but dubs generally hate silence because they probably feel kids will be get bored if there's not constant jokes or exposition going on and avoid silent scenes as much as possible. It's especially easy to notice when there is dialogue when the characters face is off screen and you can't see their lips. Chances are if you're not seen their mouth move directly they're not talking originally. People shouldn't be too surprised though they already said this dub was for fans of the old dub and not fans of the sub or anime in general.

-Stuart Smith
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Not liking the new insert music.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
That means that script will get adaptation similar to other Digimon dubs and that's sad for me.

Except that's not the case at all. Eleven Arts has said that the tone will be the same tone that the Japanese version has.
Quote:
Will the English version of REUNION keep the somewhat somber, adult tone that TRI. has had in Japan or be similar to the original dub?

KM: We do believe that this particular DIGIMON dub is going to resemble the same tone and style the Japanese version had.

Link.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4