• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses Dragon Half Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, now this is a welcome license. Dragon Half was one of the first anime I ever saw and I always thought it was a shame there wasn't more of it. Can't wait to pick up the manga!
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I saw the OVA when it was released on Crunchyroll this year and it was a lot of fun! Really happy that the whole story will be released. It's nice to see manga from over 20 years ago licensed, too.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy this one is getting put out in Omnibus format this and Devil Man G are probably the two Manga licenses from Seven Seas that they have announce that I'm most excited about.
_-_Seiya_-_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see more old school Manga getting licensed. I own the Dragon Half OVA on DVD, and I will definitely be picking up the Manga when it gets released.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
This is an awesome license. I'm not too aware of what Dragon Half was before this article, but it's always great to see some older manga being licensed (gives me hope that we could still see a license for Ushio & Tora and The World God Only Knows).

Other than that, I'm actually quite interested in this one. It sounds like it could be a fun series that mixes in some of the more common elements of late 80's early 90's stories together for an enjoyable mix.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
(gives me hope that we could still see a license for Ushio & Tora and The World God Only Knows).

I agree. I really want the latter in particular. It's a shame that it's probably up to Viz on TWGOK, which has had me feeling pessimistic about it's chances. Wish it had been licensed back when the anime was coming out.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
This manga goes even farther than the OVAs that was never finished story-wise? If so, then this is very welcome license that we sorely needed.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
This manga goes even farther than the OVAs that was never finished story-wise? If so, then this is very welcome license that we sorely needed.

The OVA's production got cut off due to the director or someone getting arrested for weed possession or something, after all.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow! After all these years, I never expected this to get licensed. The anime OAV is a classic.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
The OVA was fun, so I might pick this up. Nice to see Seven Seas looking back for new titles and not just what's current.

EmperorBrandon wrote:
CaRoss wrote:
(gives me hope that we could still see a license for Ushio & Tora and The World God Only Knows).

I agree. I really want the latter in particular. It's a shame that it's probably up to Viz on TWGOK, which has had me feeling pessimistic about it's chances. Wish it had been licensed back when the anime was coming out.

I'd also love to see TWGOK =)
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Man, Seven Seas is really licensing a lot of stuff, aren't they?

Well, at least this will probably be good.
yomanffgg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this manga, its starts af fun story and get serious at then end
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Really excited for this. I've been wanting to read it for something like 15 years.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:

The OVA's production got cut off due to the director or someone getting arrested for weed possession or something, after all.

Two years, and by that time, most of the anime crew had moved on.

Not to mention, the joke in the OVA where Dug Fin takes his "revenge" against Mink at the tournament, but she has no idea why--
Dug digs out a VCR and reruns the first OVA episode: "Ahh!! They cut out all my scenes from the manga!"
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope there will be a digital option, if not now, then hopefully latter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1