• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakura-Con 2017 News Round-Up: Day One

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
Nice cosplay pictures, but someone really needs to clean up the ordering, some repeat 3 times.
takenashi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
aaaagghhffasdg what's whith that last b-2?? grosss~~~~~
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
That Eva costume is rather impressive.
Ravendruid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
takenashi wrote:

What do you mean? Looked pretty darn cute to me.
takenashi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Ravendruid wrote:
takenashi wrote:

What do you mean? Looked pretty darn cute to me.

ugh..so you're fine with that...what a mess xDD
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
What's with the random Yugioh doujins and Kirei paper doll? Those aren't cosplay.

Also nice Gurren Lagann costume Cosplayer X, that must've taken a lot of work.
sharpied

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:11 am Reply with quote
I was disappointed that the missing Ayame Yamada sketches from 2016 failed to show up at this year's charity auction. It's extremely disturbing when a guest is told that her artwork will be sold to benefit Make A Wish only to have that artwork pilfered by either her sponsor, Funimation, or someone affiliated with the convention. It's also incredibly worrying when SakuraCon bans the person who reported the theft because they wanted to cover it up. Their excuse, which they provided to Make A Wish staff, was that they didn't receive the artwork until after the auction. That excuse doesn't hold water when the donated artwork doesn't show up the following year.

Artwork in question -

While artwork drawn by guests at conventions often goes to those sponsoring the convention, executive members or to convention/corporate glory walls, I can't think of any episode where the theft was so blatant. It speaks volumes about the state of the convention and those making its executive decisions when a convention can't do the honorable thing and acknowledge the theft, and instead, prefers to punish those who were observant enough to pick up on it.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
FWIW - the Tohru cosplayer appearing in the image had her girlfriend (cosplaying Kanna) propose to her during con. It was cute as hell.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 am Reply with quote
sharpied wrote:
I was disappointed that the missing Ayame Yamada sketches from 2016 failed to show up at this year's charity auction. It's extremely disturbing when a guest is told that her artwork will be sold to benefit Make A Wish only to have that artwork pilfered by either her sponsor, Funimation, or someone affiliated with the convention. It's also incredibly worrying when SakuraCon bans the person who reported the theft because they wanted to cover it up. Their excuse, which they provided to Make A Wish staff, was that they didn't receive the artwork until after the auction. That excuse doesn't hold water when the donated artwork doesn't show up the following year.

Is this really a thing? Doing a search, doesn't even show anything about your statement.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
The Persona 4 cosplays look impressive! Smile
I'm particularly thrilled of the Ryōma cosplay from Fire Emblem.
SakuraPR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Regarding this post, ANCEA/Sakura-Con would like to make sure it's understood generally that the artwork in question is by no means in anyone's personal collection. It has been reserved for our future Make-A-Wish auction, as per the intention of the donor. We had a special shikishi silent auction event this year, in honor of our 20th Anniversary, and there were an unprecedented number of shikishi artworks.

The reason this sketch was not in the auction in the first place was due to it arriving too late to be included. We work with donors and Make-A-Wish directly, as well as maintain internal safeguards that ensure donations are disclosed and tracked, to make sure they benefit the Make-A-Wish charity effort.

We are very committed to our Make-A-Wish charity support, and raised over $48,000, through the efforts of our members, to help make the wishes of children with life threatening illnesses come true.

As for any member related disciplinary measures, including bans, we do not discuss such details in public nor disclose member information, as we consider that confidential for the protection of member personal information, ect. If the person you refer to would like to contact the convention directly, please ask them to do so at [email protected] if they have further questions or concerns.

We welcome attendee members to let us know about their observations and to ask questions. Please direct any inquiries to [email protected]

sharpied wrote:

While artwork drawn by guests at conventions often goes to those sponsoring the convention, executive members or to convention/corporate glory walls, I can't think of any episode where the theft was so blatant. It speaks volumes about the state of the convention and those making its executive decisions when a convention can't do the honorable thing and acknowledge the theft, and instead, prefers to punish those who were observant enough to pick up on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1