• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Yu-Gi-Oh Vrains, Serial Experiments Lain, C-Control Anime Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Honestly a little surprised Vrains is getting a simulcast, I always assumed that 5Ds and Arc-V were aired so late so the subs could use whatever already established English terminology. I'm curious to see how they'll treat the translation here, even though I'm not particularly interested in this series.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
What? They're streaming VRAINS before it arrives in English and before they finish ARC-V. Well, expectations are still low as always.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Now that Yu-Gi-Oh Vrains has been put up for subtitled simulcasting, the only thing that's left to wait for is that one part of the franchise that many, if not most, of the Yu-Gi-Oh fanbase dread seeing...

4K Media's English version of the show.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see C and Lain added!!
Hopefully C does a little better now that it's on CR.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
About that, actually.

Even if I do watch this show (which I don't know if I will), it would only be until the show's North American license is officially announced, after which I plan to stop altogether. That's right, even if it was in the middle of an important plot point; heck, even if the last episode I were to watch ended with a cliffhanger (really; I'm not exaggerating). I'm sorry, everyone, but I simply can't support the disparity that this show--which has been running for 17 years--has (i.e., one version for the fans, and another for "everybody else"). OTOH. since this show hasn't been "dubbed" (yet), it might be the best time to watch before, etc., etc (but that's a big "might"). I'm sorry, everyone, but unless the whole thing were to be redubbed from the start*, the damage has been done otherwise. However, I know it's extremely unlikely to happen, so...

*It wouldn't even have to be in sequence, it could be several incarnations at the same time.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Even if I do watch this show (which I don't know if I will), it would only be until the show's North American license is officially announced, after which I plan to stop altogether. That's right, even if it was in the middle of an important plot point; heck, even if the last episode I were to watch ended with a cliffhanger (really; I'm not exaggerating). I'm sorry, everyone, but I simply can't support the disparity that this show--which has been running for 17 years--has (i.e., one version for the fans, and another for "everybody else").

Totally understandable—I stopped watching Yu-Gi-Oh midway through the GX arc years earlier. The massive editing and subpar voice acting simply wore me out after watching so many episodes. A faithfully-redubbed English version of a YGO arc will be the only thing that will bring back my interest for the show, but yes, as you've mentioned already, the chance of that occurring is woefully astronomical.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I know people are going to hate me for saying this but for Vrains, I'm going to wait for it's inevitable dub before I start watching any of it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
I know people are going to hate me for saying this but for Vrains, I'm going to wait for it's inevitable dub before I start watching any of it.

More power to you if you're excited for the English version of Vrains, and I hope you'll enjoy it. But for some others that have been contending with the disparities between the English and Japanese versions of Yu-Gi-Oh for years (including myself), the polarization that resulted from them has burned them out.
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:

More power to you if you're excited for the English version of Vrains, and I hope you'll enjoy it. But for some others that have been contending with the disparities between the English and Japanese versions of Yu-Gi-Oh for years (including myself), the polarization that resulted from them has burned them out.

In the case of the English dub (which will inevitably happen), which network would actually air it? Nicktoons is definitely not an option.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know there hasn't been any word on the Arc-V dub for a while and I think they only got about half way with it, makes me wonder if the Vrains dub is really that inevitable.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
ReNellGlover wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:

In the case of the English dub (which will inevitably happen), which network would actually air it? Nicktoons is definitely not an option.

Perhaps Disney X-D could air it. However, at the same time, they currently have 4 anime series under their belt, so I'm not too sure if it's a good idea that they acquire yet another one at this time.

The only other option is Cartoon Network, but they'll just give it zero advertising and air it on Saturday mornings at a time when lots of people would still be asleep.

Last edited by epicwizard on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
The only other option is Cartoon Network, but they'll just give it zero advertising and air it on Saturday mornings at a time when lots of people would still be asleep.

I think even Cartoon Network isn't that good of an option anymore after their relegation of Pokémon to their dead mid-morning time slot. Plus, they were seemingly eager to do away with anime altogether in favor of airing their own original content, if their excessive commercials that were chipping into Pokémon's airtime was anything to go by.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
How exciting! This is the first time a Yugioh series has ever been simulcasted. Guess the official subs of the previous series have increased interest in the Japanese version of the show.

I'm also happy to hear Serial Experiments Lain has been added. Been hoping to check that out at some point, and now I know where to find it.

Hagaren Viper wrote:
As far as I know there hasn't been any word on the Arc-V dub for a while and I think they only got about half way with it, makes me wonder if the Vrains dub is really that inevitable.

They're working on the third (and final) season of the Arc-V dub as we speak. But I doubt we'll be seeing it here in the states. Nicktoons couldn't even finish airing the first season of the dub.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
They're working on the third (and final) season of the Arc-V dub as we speak. But it did pretty terrible here in the states. Nicktoons couldn't even finish airing the first season of it.

The English version of Arc-V was a failure...? Shocked The ratings have really sunk that low?
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
They're working on the third (and final) season of the Arc-V dub as we speak. But I doubt we'll be seeing it here in the states. Nicktoons couldn't even finish airing the first season of the dub.

That's nice to hear! I'm a little surprised it aired on Nick at all with how they treated Yugioh before, maybe the rest of the dub can find a home on Hulu or other streaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2