• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Video games with Japanese Voice/English Subtitles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
I know that the JP release of Operation Darkness and Heavy Rain had English Subs (Heavy Rain let you switch the voices and subtitles). And there's Phoenix Wright, of course.

Anyone else know of any games? I'd love to polish my Japanese.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
Off the top of my head...

Tales of Zestiria (PS3, PS4, Steam) gives you the option of English or Japanese, but the in-battle voice clips aren't subbed (most of them are pretty simple, like Sorey saying "sore" ("here") for using an item, or asking another character to work with them. Sadly, spell incantations also aren't subbed, nor are a couple background conversations of characters talking behind the main dialogue.

Project x Zone on the 3DS I can't remember if had ENGLISH voice options!

Fire Emblem Awakening (also 3DS) has the option, but it's more voice clips than full voice acting (the same in English).

The original 4 .hack games (PS2) have an option for Japanese dialogue, and you can even rewatch the cutscenes whenever you want from the menu. You can view cutscenes from earlier games as well, but the ones from earlier games are only in English (not enough room on the disc for both languages from 4 games worth of cutscenes).

I know I have a few others, I'll try to find them later.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
Thanks. There's also the Star Ocean: The Last Hope International Version, and Until Dawn has semi-dual language options (you can change the system language, which will change the dialog language as well).

Unfortunately, you can't have Japanese voices with English subtitles (AFAIK).
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy: Type-0 HD on Steam has both Japanese and English tracks and subtitles.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I can't believe I forgot to mention this. Forbidden Siren 2 (a survival horror game) for the PS2 has Japanese voices in its PAL release.

The first had brilliant gameplay (it played like Boogipop Phantom, with around half a dozen playable characters). You could disable the shibito/yamibito, but they would always revive themselves. There was also one BRILLIANT stealth mission where you played an 8-year-old girl trapped with the sentient dead. Obviously, combat isn't an option, so you have to learn their nighttime routines before you can escape.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
It's frustrating. The Japanese can put a lot of the effort into their roles however it usually plays over text that I am given the opportunity to skim through and skip. Although this gets me back to the gameplay this hinders the performances. It's something I despised about Digimon Cyber Sleuth and am dreading to experience in Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Games i know of that has dual-Japanese-English lanaguage include:

Sonic the Hedgehog: Despite all the tiles are in English and Japanese lanaugauge, Sonic Forces have been expanded into an multlanguage titles, and it includes, French, Italy, and Spanish.

.hack/GU Last Recode: The Japanese voice of Gaspard was pretty sweet and nice, but the English dub was the one i avoided it because of the English dub uses Veteran voice actors, unlike Japanese version which uses realtively younger seiyuus.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Games: The Dub and the original are both nice, and have better peferrences.

(Sorry for my poor English through.)
moony_chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:31 am Reply with quote
Remember, I've learned some words while watched anime with subtitles.
Sorry, don't know games you ask for, but thanks for the thread. Really useful.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Odin Sphere's original PS2 release was fully dual-languaged. You could set the VA to Japanese. Not sure if the PS4 re-release has that option.

You could also try Super Robot Taisen OG: Endless Frontier for the DS; all the voice clips are in Japanese and don't have subtitles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1