Forum - View topic
GAME: Metroid: Samus Returns




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 2792
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I have now attempted to purchase the special edition from three separate retailers, because apparently having pre-orders or plain normal orders available has absolutely no correlation to, y'know, actually having the item in question. Hopefully Amazon can manage that base level of competence.

On the plus side, it's good to hear my persistence will be worth it. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlueAlf



Joined: 02 Jan 2017
Posts: 398
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the reviews I've read out there, this is the one review that has finally convinced me to purchase this game. Immediately. Well... after I've gotten some extra money.

Thank you very much for the review.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 2229
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Stop making me want to buy a 2DS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 6562
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Nintendo hasn't given up on the Metroid franchise and is genuinely committed to examining what made the series so well-liked in the past. I hope they do that to some of the other franchises of theirs that's fallen by the wayside because of a drastic and unwelcome change in gameplay. Intelligent Systems in particular is prone to this, having managed to screw up everything they've had to the point of unprofitability except Fire Emblem. (Paper Mario is moving in the right direction though.)

I also hope Samus Returns sells well enough for this to signal a new age of quality Metroid games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Seishin Jinrou



Joined: 04 Mar 2016
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
What a pretentious, corporatist scumbag to not even mention the far superior AMR2 in your review!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambrose7



Joined: 11 Aug 2016
Posts: 25
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'm glad to see Nintendo hasn't given up on the Metroid franchise and is genuinely committed to examining what made the series so well-liked in the past. I hope they do that to some of the other franchises of theirs that's fallen by the wayside because of a drastic and unwelcome change in gameplay. Intelligent Systems in particular is prone to this, having managed to screw up everything they've had to the point of unprofitability except Fire Emblem. (Paper Mario is moving in the right direction though.)

I also hope Samus Returns sells well enough for this to signal a new age of quality Metroid games.


Well they have only worked on Fire Emblem and Paper Mario in recent years. I hope Nintendo revives the Advance Wars series though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlueAlf



Joined: 02 Jan 2017
Posts: 398
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
Seishin Jinrou wrote:
What a pretentious, corporatist scumbag to not even mention the far superior AMR2 in your review!


IMO it was impressive, but not exactly good though. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 6562
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Ambrose7 wrote:
Well they have only worked on Fire Emblem and Paper Mario in recent years. I hope Nintendo revives the Advance Wars series though.


The thing is that they dropped Nintendo Wars after the disastrous release of the DS Advance Wars games and also dropped WarioWare after something similar happened to Game & Wario. In both cases, they completely overhauled the series for the worse. I do hope Nintendo gives these franchises another chance. I was worried they'd do the same with Metroid after Other M, but it seems they've learned their lesson.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 2631
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:


The thing is that they dropped Nintendo Wars after the disastrous release of the DS Advance Wars games.


Which is a shame given the DS games are comparatively better than the GBA games.....even with Days Of Ruin needlessly darker tone and nerfing mechanics.



leafy sea dragon wrote:
I was worried they'd do the same with Metroid after Other M, but it seems they've learned their lesson.


Which comically enough they accomplished by handing it off to a studio that was in need of redemption themselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wolf10



Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 234
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Seishin Jinrou wrote:
What a pretentious, corporatist scumbag to not even mention the far superior AMR2 in your review!


IMO it was impressive, but not exactly good though. Wink

I'm only a little past the halfway mark, but the boss encounters in Samus Returns already blow AM2R out of the water. Maybe if AM2R hadn't been released in an admittedly unfinished state I might have thought differently.

I think my only issue with Samus Returns so far is that the original 3DS is still the most uncomfortable handheld Nintendo has ever designed. I keep dying to what should be, on paper, fairly simple maneuvers, just because of the amount of strain it puts on my hands to hold the L button down firmly with the base of my index finger while pushing diagonally up on the slide pad with my thumb. In the middle of a running jump. While being chased by death itself. Really missing the auto-locking grapple beam.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
varmintx



Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 1059
Location: Covington, KY
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Seishin Jinrou wrote:
What a pretentious, corporatist scumbag to not even mention the far superior AMR2 in your review!

I see the word "pretentious" misused practically every single day, and yet, you have somehow managed to misuse it in an extremely unique way. Congratulations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group