• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Technical Glitch Reveals Virtual YouTuber's Real Identity

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
RULES OF THE INTERNET

29. On the internet, all girls are men, and all kids are undercover FBI agents or Justice Decoys.

30. There are NO girls on the internet.
Drunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
So it was a G.I.R.L. (Guy In Real Life)
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Why.... is SCP-040-JP in the corner? Is it that popular now? That's awesome.

Also, obviously a fictional character's creator won't resemble them... but this obviously opens up some psychoanalysis, which I won't get into.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I'd never thought of it that way, regarding the gender of the creator in this scenario being irrelevant, as in a lot of ways, it's not that different from enjoying a female character in a doujin created by a guy. Interesting. I'm just glad this person seems to be doing alright still, as a situation like this could have turned very ugly.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Trap the live-action adaption!

On topic:

I think it`s fine since it`s just a creation of his, much like what they were saying about the drawings. He doesn`t actually want to be a moe girl, right? Maybe...it`s cathartic.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you want to keep your identity a secret, doing a live stream which involves having a camera aimed at your face does seem a bit risky.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
@ ChrissyC,

Please have a read of this post from JacobC.

JacobC wrote:
Hey guys!

Since there seems to be some confusion about it, here's why "trap" is a really crappy word and people are giving you stink-eye for tossing it around like it's hilarious. As if saying "trap" is just inherently funny or necessary to say over and over again, and adding any additional context for the label makes it any better.

First of all, "trap" originated on 4chan, from ye olde Star Wars Ackbar scene. The fact that it originated on 4chan might be enough of a red flag for some of you, but in case it's not for most of you, here's a very simple plain english breakdown for why women and LGBT folk see that word (and usually the context it's used in by the person who used it) and feel uncomfortable. This is specifically why it's a slur.

Calling a person a "trap" because they're a "biological man in women's clothing" is hurtful because by the word's very plain definition, you are reducing that person to a position of "sexual object if woman, mistake/problem for me if not." The implication is that by looking like an attractive woman, (it is only ever used for people who "pass," you may notice, no one ever uses "trap" for a clearly masculine man in a dress,) they are automatically a sexual option for you, that is their purpose, and if there's a dick under that skirt, you've been "tricked" and that's their fault. It's used as the punchline for a joke, but by cosplaying as a woman, in NO WAY did this guy invite your sexual advances or judgment, whether he's transgender or identifies as a man and just enjoys wearing women's clothing. It's especially not funny considering that the number of trans women or drag performers that have been harassed or murdered because men thought they were women and decided to be violent when they discovered they weren't is really really depressingly high.

Either way, the word is gross, unfunny, punching down, and unkind not only to the man in women's clothing, but also betrays a diminishing attitude toward women: If a woman is pretty, that means she exists to be sexualized by you. If she's secretly a man, that's apparently both your business and your problem. That's what "trap" means, all of that in one crappy little syllable. It's hurtful and shitty. It won't be tolerated here. Hopefully, you can see where we're coming from. If not, you can take it somewhere else.

After reading that I stopped using the term.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:29 am Reply with quote
Is it gonna turn out that Kizuna AI is a fat balding asian man too?!!
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
How is that different from using a female character avatar in a forum? I mean, like half of the male users in this forum do. Anyway, one cool thing about Japanese culture is that in fiction people are more "liberal" than in Western cultures and this also my implies that when they are portraying fictional characters they don't think it is a big deal for a male person to portray a female character and vice versa.

These days many manga with male main characters are aimed at females (like March Comes like a Lion or Nodame Cantabile) while stuff with female main characters is often aimed at males (K-On! and Girls und Panzer) so I would be expecting that most female "animetubers" are portrayed by males. Although it's is true that many of the most popular virtual youtubers have more natural sounding voices which means they have to at least use a women to act on the character script.

Anyway, I found this one on youtube quite quickly:
https://youtu.be/DoVh4Fc43Bo,
So they are not even trying to hide it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Drunk wrote:
So it was a G.I.R.L. (Guy In Real Life)

The story this article talks about should be turned into an anime series with the final epi. being called "Guy in Real Life".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1