• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fan-Made Gundam CG Film Shows Early RX-78 Development

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
So...uh... cease and desist incoming?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
And that is the fundamental problem with fanfilms.

You can spend all that time, effort, and money and it can be LEGALLY removed because you're infringing on an IP!
You're much better off creating your own thing instead of putting all that effort into something that can be taken off because of copyright infringement. Of course, that's trick -- doing something new or creating a novel spin on an old idea (which is the case 99% of the time). Most fanworks are far too slavish and the case of seen that, done that before a million times. It's a darn shame because there are a lot of technically talented people.

That said, if the Gundam fan filmmaker had restricted himself to just modeling, lighting, and animating Gundam mobile suits for a few seconds of a demo reel no company is going to fault him for that but you're pushing the line with films than run over 2-3 minutes.
(2-3 minutes, btw, is about as long as anyone hiring new talent wants to watch a demo reel.)
Copyright enforcement depends on the trademark owner to enforce it, yes, but a big enough company will slap you down hard just like they did the Axanar filmmakers over a year ago...
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
Way to be late to the party with this new blip, ANN.

I doubt Sunrise would slap him with a cease and desist notice. It technically falls under copyright protection since it's his own artistic creation. There's tons of infringing videos up on Youtube with millions of hits... which means revenue for uploaders and they haven't touched them.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
I was very impressed. You can tell they spent a long time working on this. And pretty decent for a fan film.

GeorgeC wrote:
And that is the fundamental problem with fanfilms.

You can spend all that time, effort, and money and it can be LEGALLY removed because you're infringing on an IP!
You're much better off creating your own thing instead of putting all that effort into something that can be taken off because of copyright infringement. Of course, that's trick -- doing something new or creating a novel spin on an old idea (which is the case 99% of the time). Most fanworks are far too slavish and the case of seen that, done that before a million times. It's a darn shame because there are a lot of technically talented people.

That said, if the Gundam fan filmmaker had restricted himself to just modeling, lighting, and animating Gundam mobile suits for a few seconds of a demo reel no company is going to fault him for that but you're pushing the line with films than run over 2-3 minutes.
(2-3 minutes, btw, is about as long as anyone hiring new talent wants to watch a demo reel.)
Copyright enforcement depends on the trademark owner to enforce it, yes, but a big enough company will slap you down hard just like they did the Axanar filmmakers over a year ago...

The situation with Axanar had nothing to do with trademark infringement, until they started profiting off the project. (The coffee and models). Which is pretty much Rule 1 of Fanworks - NEVER make a profit off the project! So as long as the animators make no attempts at making a profit like selling CDs, T-shirts, etc. Then Sunrise likely will not take action.

Secondly, we have no idea if this team made any attempts to contact Sunrise to get their approval. Because it would be pretty risky to launch such an endeavor that very well took years to accomplish, and have it slapped with an C&D within hours of posting it on the internet.

So hopefully Sunrise is impressed and become inspired, than taking legal measures.
Antonio Vallorani

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:22 am Reply with quote
Hi, there is not a team but I did everything by myself (except the dialogue and dubbing).
I'm not going to sell anything, for me it's a test work but also a pleasure because I'm a Gundam fan.
How could I damage a giant like Sunrise?
Instead, maybe I do them a favor by advertising their products for free Very Happy
Jokes aside, for me it is a test case for future original work, I decided to try something that I'm passionate about.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote
Welcome!

I was very impressed, and yeah, this is clearly meant as a passion project. I figure that as such, it should be available for all to see.
Antonio Vallorani

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Welcome!

I was very impressed, and yeah, this is clearly meant as a passion project. I figure that as such, it should be available for all to see.

Thanks,
you can be viewed freely on my youtube channel and Facebook page, and soon also add subtitles in Japanese language as well as those in English Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1