Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya Franchise to Reveal 'New Development' in August




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Seiya0890



Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 157
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
The only thing from him that could still surprise readers is that he stops going on hiatus...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 3705
Location: New York
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 am Reply with quote
The Netflix series is ready?

Please say the Netflix series is ready.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sergorn



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 80
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:10 am Reply with quote
It's just a tease for the follow up to Épisode Zero which we knew was coming this summer in the Champion Red. So nothing new here love along.

As for Next Dimension Kurumada said in the "author's word" last week that he was already working on the next season so it'll likely come at the end of the year.

And it's unlikely ND will ever get faster, Kurumada has a hand condition that makes work painful., so two volumes a year is probably his maximum.

-Sergorn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Seiya0890



Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 157
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote
Sergorn wrote:
It's just a tease for the follow up to Épisode Zero which we knew was coming this summer in the Champion Red. So nothing new here love along.

As for Next Dimension Kurumada said in the "author's word" last week that he was already working on the next season so it'll likely come at the end of the year.

And it's unlikely ND will ever get faster, Kurumada has a hand condition that makes work painful., so two volumes a year is probably his maximum.

-Sergorn


But why does not he take an assistant to take care of what he draws, and he focus only on story ? It is not like his draws are sophisticated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AyanamiRei



Joined: 27 Aug 2016
Posts: 87
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Seiya0890 wrote:
The only thing from him that could still surprise readers is that he stops going on hiatus...


He actually doesn't "go on hiatus" since he produces a stack of chapters of one of his manga then goes on working another one (his favourite being his long deceased title about yankees, another one being the semi-autobiographical story he first proposed as a one-shot, etc), this stack being then slowly published by the magazine while he continues his work.

About his style: yes, it isn't hard to replicate (especially since he went back to his drawing style from before St Seiya's last part), one of his ex-assistants actually draws in almost the exact same style.
http://www.blackbonesboutique.com/toushin-saito.htm
I can easily guess that at his age and after his various "creative frictions", he prefers to be in total control of his work (schedule, production, everything). It's easy to see the guy keeps his work because of love/passion rather than something else (when you consider many rumours plus things above).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Seiya0890



Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 157
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:34 am Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
Seiya0890 wrote:
The only thing from him that could still surprise readers is that he stops going on hiatus...


He actually doesn't "go on hiatus" since he produces a stack of chapters of one of his manga then goes on working another one (his favourite being his long deceased title about yankees, another one being the semi-autobiographical story he first proposed as a one-shot, etc), this stack being then slowly published by the magazine while he continues his work.

About his style: yes, it isn't hard to replicate (especially since he went back to his drawing style from before St Seiya's last part), one of his ex-assistants actually draws in almost the exact same style.
http://www.blackbonesboutique.com/toushin-saito.htm
I can easily guess that at his age and after his various "creative frictions", he prefers to be in total control of his work (schedule, production, everything). It's easy to see the guy keeps his work because of love/passion rather than something else (when you consider many rumours plus things above).


I see, thanks for the info. I thought his style was easy to replicate though maybe the weirdness, I mean originality, makes it hard. But I fail to understand why he would do many project at the same time :/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AyanamiRei



Joined: 27 Aug 2016
Posts: 87
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Seiya0890 wrote:
I fail to understand why he would do many project at the same time :/

Saint Seiya was never one of his favourite works, he made it as a calibrated product for the readership. But he's certainly aware of its worldwide appeal and maybe he is giving it a "conclusion" for the people.
Otoko Zaka's original publication being cancelled and it being Kurumada's choice of heart, of course he jumped on the chance to make more of it as soon as he was given the choice.
On the other hand, Ai no Jidai is originally a one-shot he made as some sort of semi-autobiography. He's probably sentimentally attached to it too.

In this case, he probably balances his work charge between what he loves and what he wants to give.

Sorry if my english fails to clarify my thoughts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Seiya0890



Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 157
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:00 am Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
Seiya0890 wrote:
I fail to understand why he would do many project at the same time :/

Saint Seiya was never one of his favourite works, he made it as a calibrated product for the readership. But he's certainly aware of its worldwide appeal and maybe he is giving it a "conclusion" for the people.
Otoko Zaka's original publication being cancelled and it being Kurumada's choice of heart, of course he jumped on the chance to make more of it as soon as he was given the choice.
On the other hand, Ai no Jidai is originally a one-shot he made as some sort of semi-autobiography. He's probably sentimentally attached to it too.

In this case, he probably balances his work charge between what he loves and what he wants to give.

Sorry if my english fails to clarify my thoughts.


Oh ok, thanks ^^. (sorry for the late reply).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group