Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in My Sister, My Writer?


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 488
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
So uh, is now not a good time to mention that the animation staff don't seem to be even getting paid for their work on this show, on top of everything else going wrong?

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9228241.html


Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnimeFlyz



Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Posts: 135
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I have a question. Do people just shit on A Sister is All you Need because they watch 2 minutes of it and drop it? Cause the title is kinda a big bait and not much of the series is actually about an actual little sister at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
macattack



Joined: 07 May 2011
Posts: 185
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
I have a question. Do people just shit on A Sister is All you Need because they watch 2 minutes of it and drop it? Cause the title is kinda a big bait and not much of the series is actually about an actual little sister at all.


The first two minutes of the show basically scorches the earth for anyone coming in expecting siscon content. It's really a character study about a young writer with serious psychological hangups surrounded by people with their own hangups and their dysfunctional relationships. It's an animated sitcom more or less.


Last edited by macattack on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zof



Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
There's a distinct difference between a work of art using some taboo thing as a plot element, and... "Hey, hand me that shovel. I'm going to shovel this shit into this box that will dump it into their stupid perverted eyes after they pay us."

Example: Oldboy is a brilliant movie that covers a delicate subject.

This "show" is, well, it's value to me is it will get reviewed here, and the review I read about the show will be better than any episode of that show this season. And I can just read that. It's like watching a movie in the rifftrax version because sometimes that's the best version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pikkuhukka
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 43
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
why am i not watching this lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zof



Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
I have a question. Do people just shit on A Sister is All you Need because they watch 2 minutes of it and drop it? Cause the title is kinda a big bait and not much of the series is actually about an actual little sister at all.


I NEVER shit on a show just because of the title. Because you have shows like

Moretsu pirate body girls or whatever that was insanely positive towards the girls they kinda exploit visually. But I mean, they got to be space pirates and save a colony ship or something. I should rewatch that before trying to use it as an example

Bang Dream! You could assume it was about prostitution. But upon watching it, NO BANGING AT ALL! It's about bands. Maybe they should have called it Band Dream or something.

Go Sick! Great show. Not about getting sick at all!

Spice and Wolf! Not about spice, or wolves really. Mostly a terrible show about medieval trade economics. I'm serious. At certain points you instinctively start looking for a Number 2 pencil because you assume there's going to be a test. So it works the other way also.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Morry



Joined: 26 Jun 2016
Posts: 489
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
First time I've heard anyone describe Spice & Wolf as terrible.

Unlike most, I don't think siscon series are trash, any more than I think the above opinion of which I disagree with is trash. But this show definitely felt lifeless and uninspired from episode 1. I'd rather have Eromanga-sensei s2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zof



Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
First time I've heard anyone describe Spice & Wolf as terrible.

Unlike most, I don't think siscon series are trash, any more than I think the above opinion of which I disagree with is trash. But this show definitely felt lifeless and uninspired from episode 1. I'd rather have Eromanga-sensei s2.


Terrible was a strong word choice. That being said, I don't think all siscon is pure garbage. I think it's then typically high quality fetish justification propaganda, but propaganda can be really well done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spastic Minnow
Bargain HunterBargain Hunter


Joined: 02 May 2006
Posts: 3770
Location: Central Florida
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:
I have a question. Do people just shit on A Sister is All you Need because they watch 2 minutes of it and drop it? Cause the title is kinda a big bait and not much of the series is actually about an actual little sister at all.


The first two minutes of the show basically scorches the earth for anyone coming in expecting siscon content. It's really a character study about a young writer with serious psychological hangups surrounded by people with their own hangups and their dysfunctional relationships. It's an animated sitcom more or less.


You forgot about the tabletop gaming and Beer Reviews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes



Joined: 17 Oct 2014
Posts: 832
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
The best incest story is still Yosuga no Sora followed by Aki Sora .

Oreimo was pretty good until politics of that time get involved and made the author change the ending to become less explicit (the ending is more explicit in the LN). Nowdays he would be able do to the ending the way he wanted.

Eromanga Sensei is one of the best imouto LN and the world of LNs is one of the best things about Eromanga.

Imouto Sae Ireba Ii Is a joke. Is a very fun joke but can't be take seriously.

Ore ga Suki nano wa Imouto dakedo Imouto ja nai I heard god reviews from Japan about the LN and the manga but the anime is a complete disaster and i don't know what Kadokawa was thinking choosing this new studio or not giving the enough time to develop before releasing the anime. It was better to delay for a another season and give a better anime to audience. It is a failed promotion. Is better they think about it for the next LN promotion animes.

Also is a wake up call about foreign outsourcing of anime. Is better to spend a little more money and use Japanese manpower/studios/companies for anime than outsourcing to less than good foreigner companies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
forexjammer



Joined: 01 Dec 2017
Posts: 112
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
So uh, is now not a good time to mention that the animation staff don't seem to be even getting paid for their work on this show, on top of everything else going wrong?

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9228241.html


That's Kadokawa for you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DuskyPredator
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 13023
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Did they just compare My SIster, My Writer to A Sister's All You Need? That actually makes me angry, because I actually went on a huge rant in the What are you watching right now? Why? topic in the Anime section of the forums, to give a contrast to how horrible MSMR is compared to ASIAYN. Not on the topic of little sisters, the show is barely about it except for hints why he might have adopted such interest, but in respect for the light novel industry, its writers, and audience.

In comparison, MSMW has no respect for its audience, not seeing how horrible the idea of a fake author signing the works of fans is. There is no modesty, mostly being fake in how it pretends to be honest with criticism of bad works, not seeing how much itself fits into that. And no respect for the industry, by sounding like lip service to something that many people are involved.

It is fair to be icked out by the first minutes of ASAYN, but the start really is a set up of explanation of boundaries, and a point contrast between initial impressions of rejected writing here of our main character, to his many insecurities we learn later. The guy actually has a personality, he has managed to find a group of adult friends where it actually feels like they support each other creatively, and try to do so emotionally, although that stuff is tough. Even if first appearance might make you think that character like Nayu is fetish fuel, the big picture paints her as a person trying to figure herself out, that might have a dirty mind, but it doesn't make her a less person with her own complexity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Zof



Joined: 20 Jul 2018
Posts: 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
This thread not only has provided a lot of entertainment, it taught me something. I was one of those people that immediately wrote off A Sister's All You Need. I feel ashamed. I'll go watch it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Takkun4343



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Posts: 677
Location: Gahanna, Ohio
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's pretty damning from episode one, when the feedback Nagami gets from a publisher that rejected his manuscript is to add a little sister character. It's basically an admission that all you need to get published is to check off enough items on some list of things that readers want to see. Now that's probably not the entire reason behind any decision to publish a novel, but SisWriter seems to be pretty strong evidence that there's a kernel of truth in there.

Very interesting point. Wanting to write what you want only to be forced to shoehorn in things that go against its spirit in order for it to get the greenlight is indeed disappointing. If I were a LN writer in that situation, I'd start with the "things that readers want to see" and build a story I want to tell around that. That way, everybody wins! Assuming the pitch gets past the editor, of course.

And hey, while we're on the topic of reacting to anime with clips from The Office, might I point out that this is how I feel whenever Ichika's harem acts murderously jealous towards him, sometimes to the point of violence, whenever they see him with a member of the opposite sex in Infinite Stratos 2?

(I could've sworn that clip was longer though...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Scion Drake



Joined: 25 Nov 2017
Posts: 171
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
So the show is a gigantic mess then.

Not surprising, I swear to God these shows are all starting to become a blur to me.

How many times can you make a show out of the near exact same shit over & over again I wonder.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group