• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Papa Datte, Shitai Boys-Love Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marconii2002

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:55 am Reply with quote
Pointless bait post removed - Psycho 101
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
I should've figured they'd get to yaoi eventually.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Of course, just as predicted, especially due to how well all pure yaoi in animated form seems to be received lately. Expect for more of these for seasons to come, especially when there's thousands to hundred thousands of yaoi manga out there.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
As someone is completely out of the loop with Yaoi, why do people in these comments seem to be upset? Is the series bad? And/Or the studio?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Suiseisha

Had to do a double-take because I first read that was "Shueisha," LoL.

Is that English title official? Because if it is, it's not very accurate... But I guess Japanese-made English titles are often a bit off.
sayrrin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
As someone is completely out of the loop with Yaoi, why do people in these comments seem to be upset? Is the series bad? And/Or the studio?

...Idk if other people are upset just because its a yaoi or because they are disappointed. I am in the later camp. Off model faces in the trailer looks REALLY bad for the production. This is likely going to be a train wreck, but I'll give it a chance anyways because animated yaoi (if they'll even got hat far) is super rare.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
sayrrin wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:

...Idk if other people are upset just because its a yaoi or because they are disappointed. I am in the later camp. Off model faces in the trailer looks REALLY bad for the production. This is likely going to be a train wreck, but I'll give it a chance anyways because animated yaoi (if they'll even got hat far) is super rare.

Its a 5 minute hentai short, so I wouldn't expect too much. The men in the comments that are threatened by a shitty 5 minutes BL short of a mid 20s college student dating a single father are the real entertainment.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see more BL getting anime.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Papa Datte, Shitai (You're a Papa, But I Want to Do It

And the trend of ANN's translators not being able to correctly translate titles continues... I mean I apologize if this is the official English title, but if that's the case color me very, very surprised - I'd assume that no native Japanese speaker would ever parse "datte" here as "you're". Like, it just so obviously means "Papa Needs Some Lovin' Too" or well, something along those lines (a native English speaker would probably find something snappier) I'm actually surprised that someone managed to misunderstand it.

Last edited by SHD on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see more yaoi manga getting animated. That said, based on the promo, my immediate thought was...

I'm sure this will be just full of consent and beautifully animated. [/sarcasm] Rolling Eyes
Zof

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I'm happy to see more yaoi manga getting animated. That said, based on the promo, my immediate thought was...

I'm sure this will be just full of consent and beautifully animated. [/sarcasm] Rolling Eyes

I could not have stated this better. I'd love for there to be a lot more great yaoi Anime. It's just, they apply the wrong formula or something. It's one time when you find yourself silently screaming "just follow the manga!"

That being said,

Lots of great manga.

Love or Hate
Sign
Wolf In The House
Blood Bank
Canis
Finder
Moon Trick
THE TYRANT FALLS IN LOVE!! (squirt)

Something for everyone.

I'm finding that the shorter the name, the more I like it. It would be nice if some of the better BL would get made into Anime, but we'll just keep seeing what we've been seeing. Tenuous close approaches because the money men get involved, and start talking about formulas for maximizing viewership that simply don't apply.

Additional: And it's frustrating. Because we've seen them nail Yuri.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
It would be nice if some of the better BL would get made into Anime, but we'll just keep seeing what we've been seeing. Tenuous close approaches because the money men get involved, and start talking about formulas for maximizing viewership that simply don't apply.

Same. “Honto Yajuu” consistently places in the top ten “Manga You Most Want to See Made Into an Anime” over on The Big Japanese anime news sites and even has drama CDs but hasn’t gotten picked up yet. That seems the likeliest to really make a splash given its got episodic chapters and so could easily make a short series, heavy on comedy, and sex scenes that could easily fade to black without affecting the story or characterization at all.
Zof

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
Zof wrote:
It would be nice if some of the better BL would get made into Anime, but we'll just keep seeing what we've been seeing. Tenuous close approaches because the money men get involved, and start talking about formulas for maximizing viewership that simply don't apply.

Same. “Honto Yajuu” consistently places in the top ten “Manga You Most Want to See Made Into an Anime” over on The Big Japanese anime news sites and even has drama CDs but hasn’t gotten picked up yet. That seems the likeliest to really make a splash given its got episodic chapters and so could easily make a short series, heavy on comedy, and sex scenes that could easily fade to black without affecting the story or characterization at all.

You put a song in my head. A really great one I had forgotten for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COV1PEmuB_Q

Note: It's a song about a guy figuring out he wants other things. But, because it's a totally honest emotional explosion from the lead singer figuring out he's bisexual, it's timeless. And it's a better song than "lola, L O L A Cola".

And yanno, have yet another much better song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzSsIlGgyOQ

Body Parts Are Nice.

It doesn't have to be about some defined level of sexuality. You can just logically love anyone and want to please them. It doesn't have to be so complicated.

JLC got that.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:10 am Reply with quote
It looks bad though.

If I really need to see them move, I can just watch live-action stuff and make up a story for them in my head that would be loads better than this.

Most BL manga are really no different from het romance stories, either.
Anything where you can point out which character is the seme and which character is the uke, is not alright. (... most of my favorite pairings are the "prince x knight" variety where most people would say the prince is the uke, but they're way more complex than that. They're also never pairings, but OT4+).

What the world needs is something with an elaborate, complex, three-dimensional fantasy plot, that also happens to have sexually explicit BL.

Like, Code Geass, but with sexually explicit BL.

There's no reason for this world and this species to exist if we can't have that.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Quote:
Papa Datte, Shitai (You're a Papa, But I Want to Do It

And the trend of ANN's translators not being able to correctly translate titles continues... I mean I apologize if this is the official English title, but if that's the case color me very, very surprised - I'd assume that no native Japanese speaker would ever parse "datte" here as "you're". Like, it just so obviously means "Papa Needs Some Lovin' Too" or well, something along those lines (a native English speaker would probably find something snappier) I'm actually surprised that someone managed to misunderstand it.

They're parsing "datte" as "but", not you're.

Because of the different ways that English and Japanese function, it can be hard to translate things without context. Since the title's speaker isn't clear - is he the Papa, talking about himself in third person, the person who wants to do it with Papa, or a third person - then the translator has to guess.

I agree the translation is clunky but it's otherwise perfectly valid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2