Forum - View topic
NEWS: BanG Dream! 2nd Season Anime Unveils Overseas Streaming, CD/BD Bundles, January 3 Debut, Ads




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 5180
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
Is it safe to say BanG Dream! S2 will dominated Winter 2019 disc sales? This IP has grown considerably compared when the first season anime premiered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 2124
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:57 am Reply with quote
The videos embedded in the article appear to have been pulled from YouTube. Were they these ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1QBHnjxRkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT7EGZQfB0k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNs0pQlJI94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cvC28mBFGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njxazJkaBFs

Quote:
Instead of standalone Blu-ray Disc volumes, the anime's Blu-ray Discs will be bundled with upcoming CD singles for the franchise starting in April.

Sounds like how Mekakucity Actors was released in Japan, where the anime was basically bonus material for the soundtrack instead of vice versa.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 3087
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Is the Bang Dream anime series worth watching any? My only real experience with idol anime has been Love Live and more recently with Zombieland Saga, both of which I enjoy a lot of, but I always keep meaning to check out more idol anime and I never know which ones are worth checking out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
invalidname
Contributor



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 2124
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Is the Bang Dream anime series worth watching any? My only real experience with idol anime has been Love Live and more recently with Zombieland Saga, both of which I enjoy a lot of, but I always keep meaning to check out more idol anime and I never know which ones are worth checking out.

If you just want to try out more idol anime, per se, you'd probably be better off with The Idolmaster or even the pilot movie and first season of Wake Up, Girls!.

BanG Dream! is very unusual in that the gimmick of the franchise is that these are rock bands, not idol units, and the voice actresses can actually play their instruments and even put on full concerts, in character.

That said, the first season of the anime is pretty dull, like a store-brand K-ON!, focusing on a single band, "Poppin' Party". Other parts of the franchise -- notably its mobile game and some supporting web shorts -- bring in four other main bands. The variety really helps the series, and even makes Poppin' Party a welcome bit of normalcy, compared to Roselia's goth edgelords or the theme-park escapees/rejects of Hello Happy World. It's going to be really interesting to see how much use the 2nd and 3rd seasond make of these other bands, since the preview videos embedded in the article show all of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Hayabusa



Joined: 30 May 2012
Posts: 1270
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Is it safe to say BanG Dream! S2 will dominated Winter 2019 disc sales? This IP has grown considerably compared when the first season anime premiered.


I have not gotten into this series for months since I found out that this series was operated by greedy foundation-breaking old farts who wanted this to be the new Idolmaster instead of the new Love Live. BanG Dream has been doing so well since its first season and its game's launch. As much as I hate to admit it, this is looking to dominate not just Winter, but the whole 2019 as well. It is questionable CG animation is not going to stop that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 757
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:13 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
I have not gotten into this series for months since I found out that this series was operated by greedy foundation-breaking old farts who wanted this to be the new Idolmaster instead of the new Love Live. BanG Dream has been doing so well since its first season and its game's launch. As much as I hate to admit it, this is looking to dominate not just Winter, but the whole 2019 as well. It is questionable CG animation is not going to stop that.


Oh man. How much time do you plan to be salty just because the authors decided to introduce an alternative reality with a male-band? This is incredibly silly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 757
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:22 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Is the Bang Dream anime series worth watching any? My only real experience with idol anime has been Love Live and more recently with Zombieland Saga, both of which I enjoy a lot of, but I always keep meaning to check out more idol anime and I never know which ones are worth checking out.

If you just want to try out more idol anime, per se, you'd probably be better off with The Idolmaster or even the pilot movie and first season of Wake Up, Girls!.

BanG Dream! is very unusual in that the gimmick of the franchise is that these are rock bands, not idol units, and the voice actresses can actually play their instruments and even put on full concerts, in character.

That said, the first season of the anime is pretty dull, like a store-brand K-ON!, focusing on a single band, "Poppin' Party". Other parts of the franchise -- notably its mobile game and some supporting web shorts -- bring in four other main bands. The variety really helps the series, and even makes Poppin' Party a welcome bit of normalcy, compared to Roselia's goth edgelords or the theme-park escapees/rejects of Hello Happy World. It's going to be really interesting to see how much use the 2nd and 3rd seasond make of these other bands, since the preview videos embedded in the article show all of them.


Well, Bandori has always been a "non idol" franchise only formally. If you forget that girls play rock, then you will get the same Bushiroad-style all-female franchise with a bunch of moe, funny yuri bait and ocean of fanservice.

I will not lie, I like this franchise, but even I can not deny that all Bushiroad all-female projects are made on one formula. So, if a person loves frankly cash cash franchises with a bunch of attractive female characters of dubious orientation and personalities for every taste, then this is definitely his choice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Hayabusa



Joined: 30 May 2012
Posts: 1270
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:36 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Oh man. How much time do you plan to be salty just because the authors decided to introduce an alternative reality with a male-band? This is incredibly silly.

You sound absolutely clueless about the whole thing. Japanese fans were having none of that when that was announced. As damage control, the authors said the male band would be in an alternate universe and that scumbag executive even outright stated that the females' universe do not have important males other than their dads, just to not have the purity and yuri fans get upset. Now THAT is incredibly silly, and sad and pathetic at the same time. If this male band is in a different universe, then why is it carrying the BanG Dream brand? Why not give them their own identity instead of carrying someone else's?

This whole genderflipping nonsense is just an unoriginal way to grab more money and to break boundaries and traditions in the cheapest of ways. Just because Idolmaster made it good does not mean that every other gender-centered series should follow it. Love Live, Madoka, Toji no Miko, Girls und Panzer, and Revue Starlight are all all-female multimedia series that do not need male counterparts to be profitable. Same go with the all-male ones like The Prince of Tennis, Free, and Yuri on Ice that do not need female counterparts to be massive hits. Not every gender-based series has to be like Superman and Batman.

#HayamiLover wrote:
I will not lie, I like this franchise, but even I can not deny that all Bushiroad all-female projects are made on one formula.

And what is wrong with sticking to that one formula? If it is perfect, which BanG Dream already was before this male band trash, they why change it? You must be really happy that series decided to step out of their comfort zone because it is no longer Bushiroad's typical multimedia series. So people paid good money to this series for something that they never ask for and something that is completely unnecessary. Revue Starlight is also from Bushiroad and it would be really low for Bushiroad to hand it the same treatment. Heck, I would not be surprised if Love Live falls for that too, since that has been struggling for years with its new group and new game. It is funny though because Bushiroad's wrestling promotion NJPW currently does not have its own female division.

If you want a prime example of a series that failed for changing its formula, just ask Little Witch Academia. I sure do hope Kemono Friends does not follow it. I know you like to argue with people a lot especially in the last Precure forum and even got called out for it (and I am no stranger to that) but come on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 757
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
@John Hayabusa So, you have nothing against a formula when it exploits what you like, but then you become a fighter against commerce when the formula sells what you don’t like? Well, that's pretty hypocritical, man. Not to mention that your mention of Madoka or LWA makes my think that for you any all-female franchise is a conveyor for selling cute girls.

Listen, we both already know perfectly well that yuri shiping is the only thing that interests you and you hate other men, you don’t need all this populism to mislead someone about your intentions.

I can explain for a long time why RS would only benefit from Kabuki spin-offs or that Free with Yuri on ICE are not such commercial multimedia franchises to receive separate all-female versions (moreover, Free already has a female opposite in the form of Hibike, lol), but this is simply meaningless, because we already know the reason for your dissatisfaction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Hayabusa



Joined: 30 May 2012
Posts: 1270
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
See, this is why you got called out for. Going off-topic just to mindlessly attack someone's opinion on the matter. Sorry friend but I am not looking to get into another trouble.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 757
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Do you blame me for the attack just because I did not agree with your reply to my post? This is just ridiculous.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group