• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: High-End Yuri on Ice's Victor Doll in the Works

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idgal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
is that really the best placement for the stand pole?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Give me a high end figure statue instead.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote
#889534 wrote:
Give me a high end figure statue instead.
There's a ton of high quality figures out there. Or do you mean you want a larger scale one?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:32 am Reply with quote
The only ones who've gotten it right so far are the Nendoroids. Either the body looks stupid or the face is off-model. I've always been amazed at how well figures can capture the animated characters, but for some reason they've really dropped the ball on the YoI figure lines.

Victor's for sure got a nice butt, but his outfits should look elegant, not painted on like a Chippendale dancer. I mean, great, offer that for the folks who want that, but that shouldn't be the only choice. Surely there's a middle ground between civilian winter wear and butts-out stripper wear. Something showing off the skating grace and wardrobe that I wouldn't be embarrassed to show my family or coworkers.

And for a franchise as lucrative as this one, I would disagree that there are "a ton" of high quality figures out there. There have been shockingly few.

As for this one, for starters I'm really jealous of those gloves. I've tried to make gloves for figures, but the thumb defeats me. I want to know how they did that. Smile Otherwise, he looks more like a gray-haired Johan than Victor.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:15 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The only ones who've gotten it right so far are the Nendoroids. Either the body looks stupid or the face is off-model. I've always been amazed at how well figures can capture the animated characters, but for some reason they've really dropped the ball on the YoI figure lines.

Victor's for sure got a nice butt, but his outfits should look elegant, not painted on like a Chippendale dancer. I mean, great, offer that for the folks who want that, but that shouldn't be the only choice. Surely there's a middle ground between civilian winter wear and butts-out stripper wear. Something showing off the skating grace and wardrobe that I wouldn't be embarrassed to show my family or coworkers.

And for a franchise as lucrative as this one, I would disagree that there are "a ton" of high quality figures out there. There have been shockingly few.

Was about to comment this exact same thing, all of it. Apart from the nendoroids (which I agree are the best, although they dropped the ball with Phichit and Otabek and I never understood why they didn't make a young Victor one), there have only been 6 "high end" YOI figures: GEM did Butt Victor, Weird face Yuuri and Just Okay Yurio, all three with goop-like hair and boring monochrome clothes, Kotobukiya did Coach Victor who had a haunted creepy face, sitting on his ass and boring coach outfit, and never made a companion Yuuri, and Toysworks did The Ugliest Victor with a face sculpt uglier than a 1000 yen prize figure, and Slightly Less Ugly Yuuri. GSC also announced a pair scale of Victor and Yuuri running in the beach that's been in development hell for two years. It's like they don't want people's money or something

I've spent the last two years swallowing my frustration seeing all of these companies produce beautiful, colorful, creative figures for literally every other relatively successful franchise that's come out recently, but somehow neither were ever capable of giving YOI the same treatment even though one would think an anime about figure skating full of dynamic artistic poses and beautiful, colorful outfits would be perfect for figure makers to let their imaginations fly. Heck, recently Banana Fish got a really beautiful Ash figure that included a super expensive ring, why haven't they done something like that for YOI? It just bogs the mind
catandmouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Lol....a friend and I keep hoping that maybe some day they'll release a long-haired Victor figure.
We can hope right?
Thread_Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
Lol....a friend and I keep hoping that maybe some day they'll release a long-haired Victor figure.
We can hope right?

With BJDs you can replace the wig with any hair that you like. Ringdoll even sells long hair wigs in the same color as Victor's. So you could have a long haired version with this doll. If you can get one. They will probably only have a set number of them for sale as this is how they sale most of their dolls. (One version they only made 50 of.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1