• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kaiju Girl Caramelise GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree with the comment about the mom in the CONS. This is a comedy at the end of the day. Obviously the mom knows more than she is saying, to us in the audience and to her daughter. She is shown as supporting her daughter. The mom knows the providence of her daughter's origin, but probably doesn't know what that would mean for the future. I think her mom just wants her to have a normal school life as best as she can. Which she probably wouldn't have if she was told her father was a monster.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
^That's fair, and I really debated putting it in. Honestly, I think she may have come off that way to me because we don't know the whole story behind Kuroe's origins yet. We do see that one photo of her mom and a guy holding an egg, and she's got the taped-together eggshell near it, so my working theory at this point is that she's not Kuroe's biological mother, but rather an archeologist/zoologist who discovered and hatched her. That would explain the "in heat" comment, which definitely rubbed me the wrong way.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought I would for sure hate the mom character and while she IS annoying, her casual acceptance and support of her daughter makes her go down a lot smoother. I don’t mind the monster-obsessed girl as much because her assumptions about the monster’s gender and Kuroe being its priestess are basic kaiju tropes and have a lot of potential for the future.

This is one of the rare cases where I bought a book based on the cover art and blurb and was pleasantly surprised with the contents. I found the author notes at the back about the creation of the story - in a male-focused magazine no less - far more interesting than we usually get for these stories.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:38 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
We do see that one photo of her mom and a guy holding an egg, and she's got the taped-together eggshell near it, so my working theory at this point is that she's not Kuroe's biological mother, but rather an archeologist/zoologist who discovered and hatched her

My thought was that the father was some sort of hybrid, which would explain how she was conceived and why she has a human form.

Your theory may be more valid, considering the setup in the picture that you mentioned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1