• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yo-kai Watch 4++ Game Launches for PS4, Switch on December 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious, how did Yo-kai Watch 4 do in Japan?
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:14 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

It was a massive bomb. What's worse was it had the highest budget in the series too, but was the lowest selling entry in the series.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

It was a massive bomb. What's worse was it had the highest budget in the series too, but was the lowest selling entry in the series.

So, I guess that means it will be to the YW brand what the Dreamcast was to Sega. The game/hardware has a successful launch, but ends up failing miserably to a dueling product. In the case of the Dreamcast, it was the PS2. And YW4 will probably be outsold by Pokémon Sword and Shield. It’s a real shame, especially considering how popular it was a few years ago.

Last edited by CastMember1991 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
So, I guess that means it will be to the YW brand what the Dreamcast was to Sega. The game/hardware has a successful launch, but ends up failing miserably to a dueling product. In the case of the Dreamcast, it was the PS2. And YW4 will probably be outsold by Pokémon Sword and Shield. It’s a real shame, especially considering how popular it was a few years ago.

Pokemon had nothing to do with YW4 flopping. It was a kids fad that faded. Excluding Ni no Kuni, this happens to literally every single Level-5 IP. They milk it very heavily, then sales fall off a cliff after people either grow out of the series or get tired of it. We saw this with Professor Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Little Battlers eXperience and now Yo-Kai Watch.

Their problem is that in the past, by the time one series was headed to the grave, a new hit one was introduced. That isn't the case anymore. Snack World was also a dud and the Inazuma Eleven revival game has been delayed literally years.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

Pokemon had nothing to do with YW4 flopping. It was a kids fad that faded. Excluding Ni no Kuni, this happens to literally every single Level-5 IP. They milk it very heavily, then sales fall off a cliff after people either grow out of the series or get tired of it. We saw this with Professor Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Little Battlers eXperience and now Yo-Kai Watch.

Their problem is that in the past, by the time one series was headed to the grave, a new hit one was introduced. That isn't the case anymore. Snack World was also a dud and the Inazuma Eleven revival game has been delayed literally years.

Oh, definitely! I'm just saying that Sega had a very similar track record with their consoles. They over-extended themselves and got themselves into a rut after the success of the Genesis. They were hoping to make a comeback with the Dreamcast, but it was too little, too late. The PS2's monster success eventually proved how much of a failure the Dreamcast was too. I make the Yo-kai Watch 4 comparison with Pokémon Sword and Shield because as the PS2 killed off the Dreamcast's chances of catching up, I'm pretty sure Sword/Shield will make a similar mark with YW4 when it's released on November 15. And it's all thanks to Level-5's abysmal track record with their IPs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1