• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: GKids: Studio Ghibli Has No Plans to Release Films on Streaming Services

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Studio Ghibli does not make their films available digitally, whether for download or streaming, anywhere in the world,"

Well, that's perfectly in their right whether they want to monetize their stuff or not in those ways. But... it's a choice between some and none from all the streaming and downloading going on out there of that very stuff, and they chose none. Just saying...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote
So when’s the part where they rant about modern films being theme park rides and not genuine cinema?
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The studio is dedicated to providing its film in theatrical settings or physical home video to its audiences. The idea could be rooted in acclaimed director Hayao Miyazaki's own feelings as well. He revealed in the documentary The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness that he is a "20th century man" and uninterested in the 21st century.

Uuuh, I don’t really think those kinds of comments are appropriate or qualified. It applies that Ghibli is defying modern trends just for the heck of it. Suzuki mentioned the reason several times, I think it was even covered on ANN at some point, though I’m not 100% sure. He said he wants Ghibli movies to be valued and not be treated as a cheap commodities and that putting the movies on a streaming service would go against that, if I remember correctly. Basically the same reason behind not flooding the market with merchandise.

Various Japanese companies have similar philosophies in regard to their IPs and some notable musicians refuse to put their music on Spotify.
al505

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Studio Ghibli Has No Plans to Release Films on Streaming Services? Funny, that didn't seem to stop them from marketing and selling their movies on DVD or BluRay; or did they think that their fans all had home theater systems? Really, what's the difference between home video and streaming services.

Hahahahahahahaha! I guess we changed their minds!!!

https://kotaku.com/studio-ghibli-films-will-finally-be-available-to-stream-1839136537

Last edited by al505 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"They continue to believe that presentation is vital and particularly appreciate opportunities for audiences to experience the films together in a theatrical setting."
This is bizarre reasoning to me when I feel like most people have only experienced Ghibli films through home video releases yet that didn't really have an impact on fandom appreciation of the quality of their films. They can do whatever they want to with their films but I feel like they're missing out on giving their movies more exposure especially when not everyone has access to the Fathom Events screenings near them. Interestingly Studio Ponoc who is mostly made up of former Ghibli animators doesn't seem to have the same hang ups about streaming their films and you can easily watch Mary and the Witch's Flower on Netflix.
chronos02

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
al505 wrote:
Studio Ghibli Has No Plans to Release Films on Streaming Services? Funny, that didn't seem to stop them from marketing and selling their movies on DVD or BluRay; or did they think that their fans all had home theater systems? Really, what's the difference between home video and streaming services.

I was sure most fans of this medium were aware of the huge difference between a stream and a physical release.

The most obvious one is bitrate, even a DVD can sometimes beat the bitrate offered by most streaming services, and a BD beats by a huge margin any streaming service out there, even 4K streams vs FHD BD.

The second obvious difference, and somewhat related to the first, is the use of chroma subsampling, though both streaming and BD use 4:2:0, some BD movies can be encoded with 4:2:2 and even 4:4:4, the difference is quite shocking, even if it's rare.

The third and less obvious difference, though not less important, is the experience, when you want to watch something in any of the above services, you're showered in a plethora of "hits", "recommendations", and other kinds of offers, mostly unrelated to what you want to watch, and when you click on the desired title, you have to go through a menu that isn't always related to the title itself, also, when the episode or movie ends, the credits are stripped from you and minimised to a corner with a GIANT recommendation of what to watch next, when most movies and anime have an ending sequence after the credits, be it an extra epilogue, or an "in the next episode" kind of content. BD will play all of that uninterrupted, there won't be ads before or after the movie/episode, and the experience will be, overall, singular and "special", since it's not the same clicking a small box on a screen than having to physically take the disc and place it on the player, similar to not being the same sitting on a sofa at home and watching a movie compared to going to the movie theatre (unless you go at 6PM with all the kids).

The physical format will stay superior to the streaming format in terms of image quality for quite some time, and will most likely always be superior in terms of experience. Studio Ghibli knows this, and when a kid watches a Ghibli movie, having their parents take the disc from a shelve, placing it on the player and watching it together, will make them believe the movie to be more special than the millions of other things available in their tablets, PCs, or TVs. The same goes when a friend brings over one of the movies and they want to watch it again later on, they will have to look for the physical disc, which means the movie will stay in their minds much longer than searching on netflix or disney plus or whatever.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
To modify a famous quote, "You may not be interested in the 21st Century, however the 21st Century is interested in you."

Eventually the Ghibli catalog will be available for streaming, it is only a matter of time & persuasion, but mostly time.

Mark Gosdin
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
al505 wrote:
Really, what's the difference between home video and streaming services.

I don't think there is necessarily a difference that is always there, but generally speaking it seems that people treat streaming a lot more casually than home video. With a mobile device it's easy to watch a few minutes here and there while you're going about your day--or to just have an endless stream playing in the background while you are doing something else. In situations like that the viewer's attention is distracted and they are constantly being interrupted. That's fairly different from the typical home video experience of getting out the tape or disc, loading it in the player, and sitting down with friends or family to watch. One might say that when you stream a show it becomes one of many things competing for your attention, while "watching a movie" in the traditional sense is a discrete, distraction-free activity. Or in other words, it's the difference between having the radio on while you're working versus going to a concert. So in that sense I can kind of see where the attitude comes from.

But at the same time it's a bit unfair to blame streaming for what is really a change in how people choose to use it. It's just as easy to stream a movie to a home theater as it is to stream it to your phone while you're on a crowded subway.

It sounds to me like they are blaming "streaming" but what they really disapprove of is "casual viewing".
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
They'll change their mind eventually.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Grave Of The Fireflies can be purchased or for rent on Vudu, iTunes and maybe other services.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
al505 wrote:
Really, what's the difference between home video and streaming services.
Others has posted answers to this question, but on a personal level, home video is better because it's far easier to deal with. Streaming isn't something that's easy for me to do (poor internet connection, sharing said connection with 3 other people with two of them being heavy online gamers, etc.), so I don't use any streaming services for that reason. However, it's easy to plug in my DVD/Blu-Ray player, pop in a disc, and watch with no interruptions in quality or service, no need to wait for anything to load to try and get around lags, or anything. Yeah, sometimes you can get a bad disc, but it's so few and far between compared to constant issues with streaming. So, for me and I'm sure it's a similar issue for anyone else that has to deal with poor internet connection, home video is the superior form for entertainment.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Not streaming these movies is silly because they are leaving millions on the table.

article wrote:
Hayao Miyazaki's own feelings as well. He revealed in the documentary The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness that he is a "20th century man" and uninterested in the 21st century.

This explains why the movies he made after the 20th century are not as good.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
al505 wrote:

I was sure most fans of this medium were aware of the huge difference between a stream and a physical release.

The most obvious one is bitrate, even a DVD can sometimes beat the bitrate offered by most streaming services, and a BD beats by a huge margin any streaming service out there, even 4K streams vs FHD BD.

The second obvious difference, and somewhat related to the first, is the use of chroma subsampling, though both streaming and BD use 4:2:0, some BD movies can be encoded with 4:2:2 and even 4:4:4, the difference is quite shocking, even if it's rare.

The third and less obvious difference, though not less important, is the experience, when you want to watch something in any of the above services, you're showered in a plethora of "hits", "recommendations", and other kinds of offers, mostly unrelated to what you want to watch, and when you click on the desired title, you have to go through a menu that isn't always related to the title itself, also, when the episode or movie ends, the credits are stripped from you and minimised to a corner with a GIANT recommendation of what to watch next, when most movies and anime have an ending sequence after the credits, be it an extra epilogue, or an "in the next episode" kind of content. BD will play all of that uninterrupted, there won't be ads before or after the movie/episode, and the experience will be, overall, singular and "special", since it's not the same clicking a small box on a screen than having to physically take the disc and place it on the player, similar to not being the same sitting on a sofa at home and watching a movie compared to going to the movie theatre (unless you go at 6PM with all the kids).

The physical format will stay superior to the streaming format in terms of image quality for quite some time, and will most likely always be superior in terms of experience. Studio Ghibli knows this, and when a kid watches a Ghibli movie, having their parents take the disc from a shelve, placing it on the player and watching it together, will make them believe the movie to be more special than the millions of other things available in their tablets, PCs, or TVs. The same goes when a friend brings over one of the movies and they want to watch it again later on, they will have to look for the physical disc, which means the movie will stay in their minds much longer than searching on netflix or disney plus or whatever.

This covers everything I wanted to say.

I don't blame Ghibli at all. Streaming may be "acceptable" for most people but it's Compressed like crazy (dark scenes are especially bad on Netflix and such) and honestly if I were an artist, I'd be insulted to see my art destroyed like that. I can understand that Ghibli wants their works only available in as high of quality as possible, of that's their reason. I don't blame them. It's perfectly logical. Them not wanting to associate with whatever would get recommended as "similar" is also logical. I don't think Ghibli should be shamed for this. At least their products are EASILY available in Blu-ray, for rather nice prices.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Good time to point out, while not a Ghibli film, Castle of Cagliostro is on US Netflix, so go watch that instead!
Rhys2753

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
My opinion? Physical media for life. Whatever's streaming may no longer be streaming in 10 years. See Netflix/crunchyroll/Funimation or other streaming services that drop streaming because of "License Issues."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3