• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Somali and the Forest Spirit (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote

Somali and the Forest Spirit (TV)

Plot Summary:
Quote:
In a world ruled by spirits and monsters, humans are persecuted and driven to the brink of extinction. In a certain forest, a golem – the guardian of the forest – and a little girl meet. Their journey as surrogate father and daughter to each other begins.
(from manga)

Genres: Adventure, Slice of Life, Fantasy

Plot Summary
Quote:
The world is ruled by spirits, goblins, and all manner of strange creatures. Human beings are persecuted, to the very point of extinction. One day, a golem and a lone human girl meet.

This is a record of the pair, one a member of a ruined race, the other a watchman of the forest. It tells of their travels together and of the bond between father and daughter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First episode is out on Crunchyroll.

Episode 1

I really like the overall setting for the first episode. The world fiction looks vibrant, full of creativity, and in general, I get that classic fantasy vibe.

The character chemistry between the two main leads also adds moments of entertainment. Golem is a character to keep an eye on due to his nature. Even when he says "Golem lack emotions", I do find many of his behaviors to be human-like. The title is pretty fitting for the first episode -journeying parent and child. So far, this anime has a lot of my interest. Been reading the manga for awhile now so I kinda know what to expect.

The theme songs are also very relaxing to the ears.

This show is apparently listed as 12 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll snuck this in sometime this afternoon, as I didn't it listed when I checked earlier this morning.

One episode in and I can safely say that I'm hooked, especially since I'm a sucker for stories featuring a single parent caring for a small child!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:39 pm Reply with quote
First anime episode of 2020. I did take a cursory look at the upcoming anime, and this one did catch my attention, and I would like to say the first episode met my expectations. Will say that there is a weird dichotomy with this show, being a sweet father raising child anime, with fantasy creatures, but all these creatures have an approved history of enslaving and eating humans. The implication the monster story gave was that humans were the bad guys that took to discrimination that made conflict, but it seems kind of relevant that these monsters apparently find humans delicious, and see nothing wrong with eating something sentient.

Also, golem daddy is apparently falling apart as early as this first episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Feels a bit ambiguous how it ends in terms of the Golem well on his way to dying, and deciding to spend that time with Somali anyway. A journey continues shortened from what already had a time limit. But it is a happy emotional moment, where the Golem has come to accept what he kept denying of having emotions, because certainly feels them for the little human girl.

The show was nice, with a variety of different characters, scenarios and lessons., but I don't think it is without some minus points to the score. Although it should have everything up my ally, not everything worked to me, I guess that I did not like things such as humans mostly left as a legacy of cruelty to the other, with Somali as an outlier maybe because she was never really in a human only community. I am sure it is not the reason, but there is only so much I can take of things like humans attack what they don't understand, even their own friends, and now just food. If these magical races were meant to be something different, I don't know how well it came across. I don't count Golem's robotic thinking, since he is also strange to all the others. It is not like all of that was absent, I suppose I just don't really buy what part of the monster people lead to humans seeing them as monster, other than looks. Surely part of the point was how they are just like humans, but I think something could have been gained them having natures that could feel off enough that humans could buy into them having no humanity.

It could be pretty but perhaps it is some level of being spoiled that it rarely got across this sense of wonder that would be being felt by Somali. As audience it almost feels like Golem, where we take in new sites in a logical way and how best to move forward. I do think that something more could have been done to maybe switch at times to a totally different view through Somali. Such forcing the camera to her small stature, with details to focus on her interests and fears. I don't think this was all absent, only that I imagine a bit better could have been done to show a big contrast between the views of these characters.

Although never reaching boring levels, I did feel my interest kind of wane as I think that I came to a realization that I would not see the sort of thing I might have hoped for. Like you might find in a very good parent anime, and world through the eyes of a child. Sweetness and Lightning kind of comes to mind. My rating is Good (7/10). It was a good mostly sweet ride, but maybe there was just more I was wanting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1