• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mitsuru Yuuki's 'Onmyōji, Abe no Seimei' Novel Series Inspires Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:19 am Reply with quote
Oooh! I wanna read this! I hope someone translates it!
shosakukan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Rafael Antonio Pineda wrote:
Princess Tachibana

'Princess Tachibana' sounds as if the given name of the young noblewoman whom Abe no Seimei rescued were Tachibana. But actually the given name of the young noblewoman in question is Wakana. Tachibana is the name of the clan to which Wakana belongs.

If you had carefully seen the pictures about the Onmyōji, Abe no Seimei manga which you posted on the ANN article, you could have found the family name and the given name of the young noblewoman in question, Mr Pineda.

I conjecture that you have only read a short description of the Onmyōji, Abe no Seimei novel series on a retailer's website or something, rather than have actually read the Onmyōji, Abe no Seimei novel series in the original.
For example, Amazon Japan's web page about the 1st Onmyōji, Abe no Seimei novel says, '…彼は、牛車の暴走に巻き込まれた橘の姫を助ける。' I guess that you saw the expression '橘の姫' in such a description and you erroneously thought '橘' (Tachibana) is the given name of the woman whom Seimei had rescued.
If you had been fluent in Japanese, you could have understood that '橘の姫' meant a noblewoman of the Tachibana clan.

As to the Japanese word '姫' (hime)'s being frequently translated into English as 'princess', there is difference in nuance between '姫' and 'princess'.
While the English word 'princess' means 'A female member of a royal family who is not a queen, especially the daughter or granddaughter of the king or queen,' the Japanese word '姫' means 'A daughter of a noble.'
For example, in Bushō Kanjōki, a book about warlords which was published in 1716, one of sengoku-daimyō Saitō Dōsan's daughters who got married to Oda Nobunaga is called 濃姬 (No-hime or Nō-hime).
Quote:
 尾張の國主織田上總介之信長は、美濃の國主齋藤山城守道三と地を爭ひ、相戰へども常に勝たず。信長これを憂ひて、道三の君臣を離すの謀をぞ運らされけり。先づ兩家老に就いて使者を遣し、我は道三の敵にあらず、道三の濃姬を我に許されば、嫁娶を調へて旗下に屬し、難におもむき危きを救ふべしと云ひ送られければ、道三同心せらる。

So the word '姫' (hime) has been applied also to the young noblewoman of the Tachibana clan whom Abe no Seimei rescued in the Onmyōji, Abe no Seimei novel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1